Bulletstorm, anyone interested?

Thats a very specific , small and likely unnoticed moment (also the Unreal engine streams in textures so at closer range that would clear up) where the games graphics doesn't hold up. The outside scenery is quite beautiful otherwise ..

If your spending time to take a screenshot of a certain frame were the backrounds look iffy then you are missing the point of a game like Bulletstorm. Compared to other Unreal engine driven games this one stands apart in its usage of color and range.

Compared to the Gears Of War console port its miles better.

LOL, could not be further from the truth. The part that was taken from overlooks a town, and the characters call attention to the view and stop to talk about it a bit. The bottom half of the screen is a town made of polygons like any normal FPS, but then the top half is an ugly 2D backdrop pasted in, very obvious because the game directs your focus to it. Unreal Engine my ass...that engine only causes texture pop-in which this game doesn't seem to have. Rather, this is a case where the assets used are of staggeringly low quality that probably aren't noticeable at 500p upscaled or whatever the console games run at, but they stick out like a sore thumb at high resolution on the PC.

Saying this game looks better than all the other clones running on the same ancient, shitty, engine designed to easily fit on consoles isn't saying much. Much like the engine, this game is garbage. Glad my friend bought it and not me.

Virtual imagination beer FTW!

:cool: , I've got damn good virtual imagination beer I might add.

LOL, could not be further from the truth. The part that was taken from overlooks a town, and the characters call attention to the view and stop to talk about it a bit. The bottom half of the screen is a town made of polygons like any normal FPS, but then the top half is an ugly 2D backdrop pasted in, very obvious because the game directs your focus to it. Unreal Engine my ass...that engine only causes texture pop-in which this game doesn't seem to have. Rather, this is a case where the assets used are of staggeringly low quality that probably aren't noticeable at 500p upscaled or whatever the console games run at, but they stick out like a sore thumb at high resolution on the PC.

Saying this game looks better than all the other clones running on the same ancient, shitty, engine designed to easily fit on consoles isn't saying much. Much like the engine, this game is garbage. Glad my friend bought it and not me.

Well thats your opinion. I don't think it looks that bad , I finished it and though it looked far better then many other Unreal 3 engine driven games. Its not the best engine , don't assume thats what I meant by any means but the color range is what really impressed me. The unreal 3 engine seems to suffer from a gray/brown "infection" in most games its used in.

Well thats your opinion. I don't think it looks that bad , I finished it and though it looked far better then many other Unreal 3 engine driven games. Its not the best engine , don't assume thats what I meant by any means but the color range is what really impressed me. The unreal 3 engine seems to suffer from a gray/brown "infection" in most games its used in.

I think it looks decent but when you get right down to it i think its pretty much the same as the other unreal engine shooters the difference being instead of bland, gritty and brown its very bright and colorful. The men still look like fucking ninja turtles just like UT3 and GoW the world looks decent but uses twice the horsepower it should to do so.

the world looks decent but uses twice the horsepower it should to do so.

Yeah, it's not optimized at all. A single GTX 480 running it 2560x1600 maxed 4xAA looked to be around 40fps or so. It took 480 SLI to lock it at 60fps. A lot of games of roughly this graphical quality will run locked 60fps at 2560 using less than 50% of the core on a single 480.

You've heard it here first folks, we're no longer allowed opinions, this self appointed moderator has ruled on the matter. It's only singing Epics praises from here on out guys, but at least it will be laid back while we all sit around agreeing with one another.

Yeah, that's why I'm here :rolleyes:

Haha you know what they say about opinions and assholes.

Wow nice job with the "selective" editing there :rolleyes:

However you sell it to yourself , is your business.

Your post fails to make any kind of point , you've lobbed in the entire PC Gaming and Hardware section and titled them a bunch of "butthurt whiney cry babies assholes" which is just really a fantastic way to not state a point and insult forum users in the same sentence.

Do us all a favor , you don't like other opinions opposing your view? Thats fine , but unless you have something useful to add to the discussion then how about you just write it in your diary instead and save the insults for people that actually care about what you think.

I was harsh throwing in the butthurt whiney asshole thing in with my reply to you, it was more of a separate thought and wasn't specifically directed towards you. I apologize for that and and my shitty 1,2,3 replies. I meant it as more of a generalized reply to the stuff I see dumped on Bulletstorm in this thread. I did not mean it as a personal attack even though I presented it like that. :( You've played the game, I respect your opinion of the game and like others have said the lack of real 16:10 support is just plain lazy. I didn't follow my own view of [H]ardforum's "spirit". My rant below explains my frustration

<rant>
I'm not shouting from the roof tops on how great Bulletstorm is. I never even said it was awsome or I'm some die hard Epic fanboy because I'm not. I haven't even really made up my mind on Bulletstorm other than it's not a bad game by any means and the graphics are pretty sweet mostly.

I just see Bulletstorm and other games like DA2 get unfairly shit on by peeps who seem like on any of the other subforums like the Display area wouldn't be like "omfg u liek LG TV's?! u fukkin' noob every1 knows Sony Bravia rulez all!!!1" and it feels contradictory to the spirit of the rest of [H]ardforum. We don't even really get the rabid fanboys like that in the Console subforum. But then you hit up the PC subforum and everyones lost their fucking minds about "consolitis" or the DA2 animation complaint as a few examples. They blow up one aspect of a game and base their hate and post(s) towards it. It's annoying to come to a thread about a game you're interested in and read a bunch of "Epic sucks dick", "Cliffy B is a douche", "fuck GFWL", and "Fuck Epic, Cliffy B, GFWL, and Bulletstorm with a fat horse cock" from people who haven't even played the game. Is this GameFAQs forum? No, I'd like to think of [H]ardforum as being more mature than that but half the threads in the PC subforum fall under GameFAQ forum mentality.
</rant>

I really don't care what people think of Bulletstorm, DA2, or whatever. My point is and was just plain and simple, thread dumping is annoying so to qoute Godmachine keep it for your diary. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I played the game yesterday at a friend's and the game is ok. It's good mindless fun, with very good graphics and good performance (on a GTS 250) @ everything max, 1920x1080, 2xAA.
I only played 1-2 levels and the pace is a bit slow at first. I'm guessing that as soon as I get more weapons, it gets even more fun to play. Level design is awesome I must say and the vistas are truly gorgeous. I'll probably wait until it reaches $40 or so, but it is fun to play.

Now on to the problems. The mouse smoothing is horrible and it's stupid that they keep doing this kind of crap. Wasn't bothered with FOV. Default one was acceptable.
Aim Assist is another thing that makes it evident that the PC version is nothing more than a console port...

I really don't care what people think of Bulletstorm, DA2, or whatever. My point is and was just plain and simple, thread dumping is annoying so keep it for your diary. ;)

Its a fucking discussion forum, not everyone will agree and the people that dislike it have just as much right to voice that opinion as you do to say you like it. Just because its not positive dont mean its thread dumping...

The game is fun but Cliffy B. still sucks fat horse cock.

Looks like it could be fun for a LAN. Visuals not too impressive though.

I on the other hand, thought that the visuals were quite good. Since it's UE3 based, I thought I was going to see the brown, blurred look of Unreal Tournament 3. I was surprised that Bulletstorm is quite far from that and it looks much better and much more colorful. It's no Crysis or Metro 2033, but it's much better than most of the games out there.

Its a fucking discussion forum, not everyone will agree and the people that dislike it have just as much right to voice that opinion as you do to say you like it. Just because its not positive dont mean its thread dumping...

The game is fun but Cliffy B. still sucks fat horse cock.

Very true. My frustration was aimed the "fuck this game" attitude thread dumping from peeps who haven't even played the game.

Very true. My frustration was aimed the "fuck this game" attitude thread dumping from peeps who haven't even played the game.

Nothing new, I'm afraid. Also, there are two people posting in this thread who haven't said anything positive about any game or any company in well over 12 months - and yeah, it's super tiring.

Nothing new, I'm afraid.

True and it will always continue. I shouldn't even have replied to any of it really. I need to learn to not reply to anything on the internet while on an energy drink and coffee buzz (haha not an excuse I know). That shit tends to bring out my nerd rage. :eek:

TotalBiscuit did a little run through. If you don't understand, it's probably not the video you're looking for.

What's with the long pauses to buy ammo? Or is it supposed to be a time to clear thoughts?

True and it will always continue. I shouldn't even have replied to any of it really. I need to learn to not reply to anything on the internet while on an energy drink and coffee buzz (haha not an excuse I know). That shit tends to bring out my nerd rage. :eek:

Funny thing though is that despite my criticizing I rather enjoyed the 6 hours of game play out of the game. And I think that a sequel has a lot of potentinal to shine IF they treat it properly this time around and add replay value in the form of competitive MP.

But for me it was a waste of money. And I'm more broke than I have been in years so 60 bucks like that really hurts to throw away on such a short experience.

If only you could rent PC games , then it would be a perfect rental.

What difficulty level are you playing it on? I'm going through it on very hard so I'm hoping I get more than 6 hours out of it. I shouldn't have bought it but I wanted something new to play while I wait for DA2 and AC:B.

jesus christ...the thread brought out the hammer legion.

picked up my copy @ D2D on Tuesday for $47, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
runs silky smooth on my 580 & 120mhz LCD :D

Same here, I'm enjoying it for what it is-- a ludcriously large and over-the-top game. However, I apparently need to learn to be more creative with the way I dismember the enemy! :D

jesus christ...the thread brought out the hammer legion.

picked up my copy @ D2D on Tuesday for $47, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
runs silky smooth on my 580 & 120mhz LCD :D

You mean 120 hz right? Enjoy getting 1/3 fps of that refresh rate.

As long as they fix the launch issues i would say it deserves that score.

The main thing people need to keep in mind is that this game is FUN. Cheesy over the top and sometimes a bit annoying but FUN.

In a world of bland serious shooters tinted in brown where the objective is to kill more brown people or Russians this is a welcome change.

As long as they fix the launch issues i would say it deserves that score.

The main thing people need to keep in mind is that this game is FUN. Cheesy over the top and sometimes a bit annoying but FUN.

In a world of bland serious shooters tinted in brown where the objective is to kill more brown people or Russians this is a welcome change.

It is fun and the dialog is really funny. If it wasn't 60 bucks it would be probably in my top 5 of recent titles I've loved.

Once this game drops in price a nice amount and the bugs get fixed (if they do) then the PC community will probably embrace it more than they are right now.

Been playing this all day. Yes, it's brutally obvious it's a console port, and it is very poorly optimized. Nothing groundbreaking here, nothing new to see, and all in all it's just another shooter in a an oversaturated genre. Still, it's decent fun. I wouldn't say $60 fun, but fun none the less. It's gow meets painkiller, which makes for a pretty amusing time with plenty of gunplay and a healthy dose of blowing shit up.

Well cousin gifted it to me for any early birthday present i guess(birthday isn't till April). Finally got it downloaded, and tried Multi first... Glad I didn't have to buy it myself. Only played about 30 minutes of the campaign and it looks like it's going to be fun. Multiplayer aspect just wasn't that fun though.

Probably would have waited for it to be 30 or so to buy for myself.

After playing the demo on the PSN, all I could think was Mountain Dew: The FPS

After playing the demo on the PSN, all I could think was Mountain Dew: The FPS

I finished it over a 2 day span. Probably took me about 6 hours of total gameplay nonstop, but I enjoyed it.

I thought the language was forced in some of the dialogue, but its still funny to see how many times they can squeeze blowjob and f-bombs in while insulting the hell out of each other.

I wish there was more opportunities for big combo smash them up attempts. Maybe some DLC down the road, cause I don't see this game ending with this release. Something more will come of this.

I enjoyed it, will enjoy it again, and this time through I can skip the cutscenes and focus on just blowing peeps up and unlocking shots.

I like it! One of the more original FPS I've played in a while. Loved the scene when your on the elevator at the dam, talking about makin out with Ishi. :D

I wish they would put more off-color military humor in the "modern warfare" games.

I like it! One of the more original FPS I've played in a while. Loved the scene when your on the elevator at the dam, talking about makin out with Ishi. :D

I wish they would put more off-color military humor in the "modern warfare" games.

yeah, that was a pretty funny convo. "Maybe its a little bit of both" :D

Played a little bit more of this. Again level design is very nice, the weapons are fun and overall a nice experience (loved controlling that robotic "dinosaur")...

However, I HATE these ridiculous parts where there's a hole in the ground, but you can't just jump down, because there's an invisible wall around the hole. You have to look at the glowing ladder and use it to go down. What a dumb concept. I think that even console gamers should be offended with this. This is exactly what I hate in the boring Call of Duty series, where we can't even open a damn door...It ruins any immersion I have left in the game...

So a pretty decent FPS then? This could be a nice one for the summer maybe. First sale, I'm in.

Back