Bulldozer Possibly Pushed back till October

"4. Every part is unlocked"

That alone should tell you this guy is most likely full of crap. Doing a revision by Aug. and having the fixed parts released by Sept. sounded too fast to me, that sort of thing usually seems to take 3-6 months.

"4. Every part is unlocked"

That alone should tell you this guy is most likely full of crap. Doing a revision by Aug. and having the fixed parts released by Sept. sounded too fast to me, that sort of thing usually seems to take 3-6 months.

fwiw I don't believe they ever told you when the actually started said revision. Also the unlocked part could have come from engineering samples that may not be representative of release hardware; however, given that they're trying to revive the FX moniker, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Regardless it would have been 3 months at that point since the delay that took it off of Q2 was pretty much announced at Computex in June.

Yea they could've started the revision earlier but its unlikely given that they didn't push back the release date until the last moment. He was also talking about the release product not engineering samples, we already knew the FX stuff would be unlocked IIRC. Its also 3-6 months not 3 months on the dot. You can't set your watch to any development cycle much less AMD's development cycle which is unfortunately flaky as all get out. BD is years late.

Yea they could've started the revision earlier but its unlikely given that they didn't push back the release date until the last moment. He was also talking about the release product not engineering samples, we already knew the FX stuff would be unlocked IIRC. Its also 3-6 months not 3 months on the dot. You can't set your watch to any development cycle much less AMD's development cycle which is unfortunately flaky as all get out. BD is years late.

I'm going to guess that they did start the revision earlier. Kyle had already said that it wasn't going to make June before the Computex announcement. Also if you already knew the FX stuff would be unlocked, you can't call bs on that point.

As for the timing of the delay announcement, I'd say given how tight-lipped AMD has been you can't really draw any information about the timing of their delay announcement. It could have just been for convenience to mention it at a press event. Even if it was released, according to JF, it would have been a "last minute" announcement.

Shrug Its all a guess at this point as to when they started the revision. They're too tight lipped to do anything more than that, but I see no advantages in them doing changes like that at the last minute so I still believe they probably didn't realize they couldn't fix the problem before the late June date well before hand.

FX isn't the only BD...servers to remember.

I also doubt AMD really cared about convenience when they announced the date slipped. They're not shy about doing press releases when they want to.

Shrug Its all a guess at this point as to when they started the revision. They're too tight lipped to do anything more than that, but I see no advantages in them doing changes like that at the last minute so I still believe they probably didn't realize they couldn't fix the problem before the late June date well before hand.

FX isn't the only BD...servers to remember.

I also doubt AMD really cared about convenience when they announced the date slipped. They're not shy about doing press releases when they want to.

Obviously if anyone knew the exact time when the revision started, they probably already know about any current issues. As for the Computex deal, I again point to the fact that they probably would have been "last minute" even if it was released let alone delayed.

As for the server comment, I doubt the guy was even thinking about server parts. I don't think anyone there was expecting him to refer to server hardware to begin with. Most people asking about BD on hardware forums (apart from folders running quad G34) probably don't care about interlagos or valencia. They're not going to be buying them.

From the contest rules:

Prize Notification and Delivery: Each potential winner will be notified by the email on the entry form after the Drawing Date. Each potential winner may, at Sponsor’s discretion, be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, as well as a publicity release, except where prohibited by applicable law. Failure to return a signed affidavit and release of liability prior to accepting delivery of the prize may result in forfeiture of the prize, except where prohibited by applicable law. Proof of sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. If for any reason a potential winner cannot be reached after a reasonable attempt has been made, or does not return a signed affidavit and release, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner, selected by random drawing from among remaining eligible entries. The prize will be sent to a shipping address designated by entrant. Allow a minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) weeks for delivery.

From the contest rules:

Prize Notification and Delivery: Each potential winner will be notified by the email on the entry form after the Drawing Date. Each potential winner may, at Sponsor’s discretion, be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, as well as a publicity release, except where prohibited by applicable law. Failure to return a signed affidavit and release of liability prior to accepting delivery of the prize may result in forfeiture of the prize, except where prohibited by applicable law. Proof of sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. If for any reason a potential winner cannot be reached after a reasonable attempt has been made, or does not return a signed affidavit and release, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner, selected by random drawing from among remaining eligible entries. The prize will be sent to a shipping address designated by entrant. Allow a minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) weeks for delivery.
That doesn't really mean anything. In fact, I don't even know why the contest got brought up in the first place. In my experience prize delivery always takes a while.

Last edited:
From the contest rules:
Allow a minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) weeks for delivery.

It would almost suck balls to win that! Everyone else will have thier greedy hands on one and you gotta wait at least 2 and a half months or more.

Quick trip round the 'tubes and there's boo about this anywhere else, el jefe's comment notwithstanding, so AFAIAC we're back to

information.jpg

I heard they accidentally built an actual bulldozer instead of a processor and it doesn't fit inside a computer case so now they don't know what to do.

Changed to what exactly? Can you give us an estimate that doesn't break your NDA? Is it still Q3 or has it been pushed to Q4?

I am not under any kind of NDA about Bulldozer because of as today AMD has not officially talked to me about Bulldozer.

So what do you make of this then?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/20512..._fx_8120_to_hit_shelves_in_q3_2011/index.html

"The Bulldozer CPU's have been delayed because of a performance-related bug, with the B2 revision going into mass production sometime in August 2011 and hit markets by September 2011."

I was told off the record by AMD that the current APU orders pushed Bulldozer production back. Heard that from more than one source. Dunno.

APU orders pushed it back?! So they'd delay BD for Llano which is OK for what it is but doesn't seem to be a really high ASP product. I guess if they had prior contracts to meet that would make sense but still jeez things must be real screwed up at GF or something.

huh? I read that as the APUs are doing so well they are focusing on their manufacture and pushed bulldozer back as a result.

How does that mean anything is screwed up anywhere?

huh? I read that as the APUs are doing so well they are focusing on their manufacture and pushed bulldozer back as a result.

How does that mean anything is screwed up anywhere?

I believe this is the case as well. The APUs are allowing AMD to cut into the mobile and OEM markets a lot more. Bulldozer will likely be released on time for server, but the mainstream/ethusiast market is really so small that desktop bulldozer is playing 2nd fiddle for a bit.

People keep mentioning having AMD around is good as it gives consumers more options.

Does it? After all other than us in the enthusiast world, Johnny Consumer has probably never heard of AMD.

Johnny goes to the local PC store and sees two laptops one has an Intel CPU and the other has an AMD cpu. Which one does he buy (I'll even say the Intel one is $50 more)? Well he's heard of Intel cos the Intel adverts say they are the best etc. etc. As for the AMD...who the hell are they? I havent heared of them thinks johnny so they must be crap.

He walks out with the Intel. So much for having AMD around. Plus you'll probably only find AMD cpus in the clearance or maybe 15% of the PC/laptops on show so what difference does it make to the consumer?

Oh the old one of well they keep Intel to reasonable costs? Intel could charge what they like now and folks would still buy them. Plenty here that buy $600 cpus when they really dont have to after all.

AMD need to get off their ass and advertise advertise and advertise. Its not like there are 15 other competitors to fight with.

If you spent any time looking at retail data and unit shipment data you would find 2 very interesting trends:

1. In the consumer market, enthusiasts are ~5-10% of the revenue and non-processor aware are the other 90-95%.

2. Non-processor aware continue to be non-processor aware despite the billions being spent to advertise to them.

So, the "standard" consumer market is where the money is, and the majority of the people who buy your product will not know they are buying it. Whether they know it or not is almost immaterial, what matter is that they do buy it. Retail presence (on shelves, in adverts) if way more valuable than advertising. That is how consumer products are sold.

People keep mentioning having AMD around is good as it gives consumers more options.

Does it? After all other than us in the enthusiast world, Johnny Consumer has probably never heard of AMD.

Johnny goes to the local PC store and sees two laptops one has an Intel CPU and the other has an AMD cpu. Which one does he buy (I'll even say the Intel one is $50 more)? Well he's heard of Intel cos the Intel adverts say they are the best etc. etc. As for the AMD...who the hell are they? I havent heared of them thinks johnny so they must be crap.

He walks out with the Intel. So much for having AMD around. Plus you'll probably only find AMD cpus in the clearance or maybe 15% of the PC/laptops on show so what difference does it make to the consumer?

Oh the old one of well they keep Intel to reasonable costs? Intel could charge what they like now and folks would still buy them. Plenty here that buy $600 cpus when they really dont have to after all.

AMD need to get off their ass and advertise advertise and advertise. Its not like there are 15 other competitors to fight with.

Johnny Consumer probably doesn't care who made the CPU. I was just buying a netbook, and neither the cashier or my wife noticed he had the wrong one (because they were about the same price). It took me several tries to get his attention to explain it.

I really hope for at the very least first Gen-i7 performance from these chips on the IPC. With high clock speeds I'd imagine it being close to a current gen i7/i5/i3. Just picked up a 970 board that was capable of SLI in hopes of getting a nice 6-core bulldozer on the cheap ($180 hopefully) next month.

I work retail and to be honest, I have and sell more AMD cpu notebooks. Specially now that Llano is out. To be honest, I have probably twice the amount of AMD CPU powered notebook as I do Intel notebooks.

If you spent any time looking at retail data and unit shipment data you would find 2 very interesting trends:

1. In the consumer market, enthusiasts are ~5-10% of the revenue and non-processor aware are the other 90-95%.

2. Non-processor aware continue to be non-processor aware despite the billions being spent to advertise to them.

So, the "standard" consumer market is where the money is, and the majority of the people who buy your product will not know they are buying it. Whether they know it or not is almost immaterial, what matter is that they do buy it. Retail presence (on shelves, in adverts) if way more valuable than advertising. That is how consumer products are sold.
You guys spend billions trying to advertise to average joe? I have never once seen an AMD television commercial. I used to see the occasional magazine ad and internet ad, but now I don't even see those.

In fact searching for AMD TV commercial on Google nets a grand total of 2 relevant results. One was from 2008 and was probably for India. The other is from 2005 and is a dead link posted on AMD zone. There are only a couple more _ found on youtube. They are all hopelessly outdated. I don't think demonstrating how well your processors play chess will sell average joe on your product and get them to remember your product.

So where is this "billions" in marketing you speak of? Was it spent on this horrendous comic book that only the enthusiasts (5% of the market) are aware of? As I see it, your ads and current marketing barely reaches enthusiasts who troll the net for this sort of thing, and it seems to have been this way for atleast the past 10 years if not more. The top result of googling "AMD advertising" happens to be an AMD press release from 2002, but what is more telling is the third result titled "AMD's Advertising Folly" dated from 2001. Thus if only 5% of the computer user base sees the ads, and even less of them are fanboy enough to spread what little news is out there, you have a serious problem. On top of that, your company is delaying your top product that the 5% userbase is even remotely interested in...and they happen to be the only ones left to spread the word of AMD's products since AMD doesn't do a decent job of it.

I hate to point this out and sound rude, but it IMHO it needs to be said. I know you are on the server side of things, but you need to get this across to the desktop and mobile guys as well. Having AMD Fusion logos on every product is not enough. You guys need TV commercials on major networks that average joe watches. They also need to be catchy so average joe remembers it in a positive light for more than 5 minutes. Internet Ads are focused, so the few you do have appear on technical websites where 95% of the market never goes.

Last edited:
Not to put words in anyones mouth but I believe if you read his comments more closely he's not saying that they spend billions advertising to the average consumer.

He's saying that AMD spends billions to guarantee that they get significant shelf space in retail stores and making sure that their cpu's are put into non enthusiast class consumer level OEM pc's; because advertising to consumers directly is a waste of money as they simply buy whatever is on the shelf that in their price range... so amd doesent waste money on shiny add campaings and insteads uses that cash to get shelf space which is what really increases sales.

Average Joe doesn't care about the CPU they care about what color their laptop is and if it has The American Online. Average Joe is a fucking retard.
Go to best buy and watch how many of them walk out with Acer.

Not to put words in anyones mouth but I believe if you read his comments more closely he's not saying that they spend billions advertising to the average consumer.

He's saying that AMD spends billions to guarantee that they get significant shelf space in retail stores and making sure that their cpu's are put into non enthusiast class consumer level OEM pc's; because advertising to consumers directly is a waste of money as they simply buy whatever is on the shelf that in their price range... so amd doesent waste money on shiny add campaings and insteads uses that cash to get shelf space which is what really increases sales.
Ok...I get your point. But I still believe its billions wasted if they claim they are going after average joe (95% of the market) and average joe still doesn't know they are a CPU manufacturer. I recommend AMD products to all sorts of average joes that I meet when they ask what kind of computer they should get, especially since so many of them don't want to spend a fortune. You know what every reply I have gotten so far is? "AMD? Never heard of it." 2.5 years ago my own parents wanted me to build them a quad core computer with maxed out RAM and a video card with multimonitor outputs for $700. I recommended an AMD system. They refused and instead decided to spend $1000 to get an Intel system. My father flat out said that if "I haven't seen a commercial for them, they obviously can't afford them, and thus are doomed in the marketplace. I don't want a product that can't be supported by the company in 5 years." Apply this same line of thinking to the 95% of the marketplace that AMD seems to be aiming for.

Average Joe doesn't care about the CPU they care about what color their laptop is and if it has The American Online. Average Joe is a fucking retard.
Go to best buy and watch how many of them walk out with Acer.
And Average Joe doesn't even realize they bought an AMD system if they did...thus there is no brand recognition amongst average joe to help persuade their next purchase. A lot of them will simply buy what they know (Intel) and others will buy whatever fits in their price range. A lot of low end Intel systems with their shitty integrated graphics are right in the same price range as AMD's.

Last edited:
He never said that AMD was spending billions advertising. Just that CPU manufacturers were spending billions which includes Intel, etc.

You might have heard of some guy called Lance Armstrong, he used to be in professional cycling won tour de france event something like 7 times and i think majority of those times AMD was always in the picture due to sponsorship.

I agree with John here you can't learn people what something is when they have zero interest in it.

As for your father captnumbnutz you should have explained to him that he knows nothing about computers thus couldn't make a good choice if his life depended on it.

I still find it quirky that people insist that everyone knows Intel yet they don't know anything about computers, if this was true then every single desktop on the planet would have the word Intel before it as marketing ploy because that will sell it for sure.

I can belive it..if the APU's were a hit with OEM's that makes sense.
On the other hand I don't find them (at the moment) very interesting decent enough for a build for someone who wants a bit more grunt 3d wise..

It's some way off killing graphics cards ;-)

Problem no is even in Sept demand will likely push prices up and limit stocks so it could be November even December before they have good levels of stock. Then you might as well wait for Ivy bridge to push prices down ;-) And the second release of models for BD..

Patience is a good thing can't say I'm desperate for BD though the novelty has worn off bit like a date that never happens when it does eventually take place you've half lost interest ;-)

ferrari_f150_1680_4-470x264.jpg

I wonder how much this costs.

EDIT: The sponsorship. Not the car.

When you want to equate your brand with Speed, Ferrari is probably the highest profile brand you can associate with.

F1-Racing-Ferrari-Girls-Hot-Product-Models-1.jpg

Last edited:

In that case quit moaning as a company when Intel keep taking the money.

Intel must be doing something right? Maybe you should ask Nigel Dessau to get off his backside and do some work?

My customers who you say are not CPU aware will still question my recommendation of a AMD CPU as they havent heard of AMD. They do ask why not an Intel, in the UK we get a lot of Intel ads. They have at least all heard of Intel, cant say the same for you guys.

It does make a difference, but a lot of the exec at AMD must live in ivory towers maybe?

lol, as if you or your customers are even 0.001% of the market.
and yeah, intels mktshare is all due to the ads, jingles and awesomely overpriced POS cpu's.(how do you sell a POS SB that has 2005 era graphics?)

never mind the antitrust rulings in US, EU, JPN & KOR.

ferrari_f150_1680_4-470x264.jpg

I wonder how much this costs.

EDIT: The sponsorship. Not the car.

When you want to equate your brand with Speed, Ferrari is probably the highest profile brand you can associate with.

F1-Racing-Ferrari-Girls-Hot-Product-Models-1.jpg

Yeah but its no use. Just says AMD....what does AMD mean? What do they sell?

Did they just spell AND wrong?

The Intel ads and campaigns deliberately show what Intel does, how they do it, what they make ("Thats totally AWESOME!!!"). Even Acer does similar ads. Oh yes Acer make laptops and tablets blah blah blah.

Not advertising to the average Joes just looks like laziness or you are not proud enough to stand by your products. We just need ARM and its major licencees to start an awareness campaign and it's goodnight AMD.

lol, as if you or your customers are even 0.001% of the market.
and yeah, intels mktshare is all due to the ads, jingles and awesomely overpriced POS cpu's.(how do you sell a POS SB that has 2005 era graphics?)

never mind the antitrust rulings in US, EU, JPN & KOR.

Yep but they are No.1 all the same. You cant argue with that.

Long drop to No.2

Yep but they are No.1 all the same. You cant argue with that.

Long drop to No.2

i doubt that even spending 100B on ads would bump amd sales even by a bit.
when the customer calls HP, Acer, Toshiba or Jesus forbid, Dell;

sales will suggest intel even if customer asks for amd.
this is even more rampant in server sales. try calling dell & order an amd box.

part of it is higher margins on intel, the other is the continued kickbacks in the guise of "market devt budget."

its not the ads, its the channel & the corrupt intel practices.

Back