built computer shuts down after 30 seconds

Well I see how easy it is for you make your money!

OOP! You need a new motherboard!

Keep in mind that motherboard technology is different now than it used to be.

Also, you all need to simmer down. The dunce hasn't even capped his reporting back to us yet. He has provided very little information, and you're spinning your wheels. What he needs is a minimal number of options and opinions so he doesn't get confused / and there will be less for him to break!
:) :p

charles555 said:
Well I see how easy it is for you make your money!

OOP! You need a new motherboard!

fuck

you

i happen to do whats best for the client. im not some stupid Geek Squad guy. i diagnosis it and then tell them what needs to be done. i run a business that doesnt take advantage of anybody and costs far less than anybody else w/in who knows how many miles.

i was just saying what i thought might be the problem, or at least aid in removing multiple options. the sooner its narrowed down, the sooner he can get this fixed.

Ok guys its time everyone chilled out. We want to help the person that started the thread NOT hurt him OR INSULT HIM OR EACH OTHER!!! Its just not productive. I to own my own bussiness and do this as a living. I to spend countless hours doing the same stuff of trouble shooting and diagnosing problems and the repairing. BUT and I say BUT things can happen and even experenced veterans who have been doing this stuff since the days of the punchcard programs still run ito things that can stump even the hardiest of pros. I ran it to this same problem at many different points in time and alot of them did not have the same fix. I seen fan headers that were unplugged cause it, defective CPUs, defective board and even PSU incompatibillity and on and on. SO, what we need to do right now is wait for The poster of the thread to tell us what his results with the HSF and thermal paste did if anything and then recomend the next line of simple things to eliminate as possibillity.

One thing I noticed going through the thread, is no one mentioned it might be a standoff in the wrong position, causing a dead short soon after powerup. Just a thought, someone might have mentioned it already but i didnt see it.

charles555 said:
Well I see how easy it is for you make ]

Also, you all need to simmer down. The dunce hasn't even capped his reporting back to us yet. He has provided very little information, and you're spinning your wheels. What he needs is a minimal number of options and opinions so he doesn't get confused / and there will be less for him to break!
:) :p

Jesus, quit your insulting, I'm sick of it. Anyways, I'm the one that helped build most of it anyways. I'm pretty damn sure that its not the heatsink or thermal paste. The computer barely gets through the POST test because it doesn't find the HD or the optical drive for that matter. Another thing is that I can't open the DVD-RW door and that is leading me to a suspicion that it could be the PSU, I will go to his house on saturday and help him out if he has bought a new PSU. And charles555, lay off ok? He may be a little new to this, but don't think he's a dunce, he's pretty damn smart and courageous for learning how to do this.

I just got back from work, I didn't really have time to put thermal paste or antyhing, coz i have some other work for school to do..

HOWEVER, I did try to start up my comp again, and I finally got into the BIOS before it shut down and I went to see the CPU temperatures
95,5 F / 101 Celcius
is that normal lol?!

Also, i checked, and it displayed the correct settings for my CPU
(800FSB, 1MB L2 CACHE, 3200mhz Intel HyperThreading)
so theres nothing wrong with my BIOS, when it said CPU Overclocking failure once it's probably coz it was overheating..

So I think I will have to put the thermal paste, any other suggestion considering proper cooling for my system??

Dude you post make almost no sense...

101 Celsius is way to high, but I am not sure you are reading correctly, or if you mobo is displaying artifacts. Get some help (someone actually in there with you) before you are sorry.

Best of Luck,
<------

xrAzVaNx said:
I just got back from work, I didn't really have time to put thermal paste or antyhing, coz i have some other work for school to do..

HOWEVER, I did try to start up my comp again, and I finally got into the BIOS before it shut down and I went to see the CPU temperatures
95,5 F / 101 Celcius
is that normal lol?!

Also, i checked, and it displayed the correct settings for my CPU
(800FSB, 1MB L2 CACHE, 3200mhz Intel HyperThreading)
so theres nothing wrong with my BIOS, when it said CPU Overclocking failure once it's probably coz it was overheating..

So I think I will have to put the thermal paste, any other suggestion considering proper cooling for my system??

Those temp readings are not right. It could verywell be the HSF and not being either seated good. or bad thermal paste. Now when you installed it did you remember to remove the piece of protective tape that normally is covering the bottom of the heatsink. if not the thermal pad is not making contact and can cause a hot problem. These temp readings can also be just a buggy bios issue. Not to worry. BUT as Jago mentioned other issues it is starting to sound more power supply related. (unfortunatly though we still have other possibillitys to weed out and troubleshoot by process of elimination)

The Cpt.

Freemason115 said:
One thing I noticed going through the thread, is no one mentioned it might be a standoff in the wrong position, causing a dead short soon after powerup. Just a thought, someone might have mentioned it already but i didnt see it.

Yea actually having a shorted Mobo to case was disscussed. In fact I mentioned to assemble the unit outside the case on a piece of cardboard to eliminate a short as a cause. But thanks for some input.

Dude you post make almost no sense...

101 Celsius is way to high, but I am not sure you are reading correctly, or if you mobo is displaying artifacts. Get some help (someone actually in there with you) before you are sorry.

Dude, just so you know, im in Computer Science Technology, i might not be that good with hardware, but one thing I know, i can read properly what is in the BIOS, and as I said
it did display those temperatures for my CPU: 95.5F/ 101 Celcius

For me, these make a lot of sense now, and I don't think theres anything wrong with my MOBO.
However, yes, I should take in consideration all other possibilities, but first these temps show that it has to do with my heatsink so im gonna dismount it check if there was a protective thing , im gonna check if there was a thermal paste, and ill try to clean as much as possible and hoepfully apply some thermal paste

If it still wont work, i will check my PSU and perhaps grounding issues..

xrAzVaNx said:
Dude, just so you know, im in Computer Science Technology, i might not be that good with hardware, but one thing I know, i can read properly what is in the BIOS, and as I said
it did display those temperatures for my CPU: 95.5F/ 101 Celcius
Ok well, I dont think 95.5* F and 101* Celcius is correct seing as they are very far apart. Also, alot of you guys have dissapointed me. What is the deal with calling each other names. It's pathetic guys...seriously...Ok it's pretty obvious this guy doesn't really know what he's doing...So instead of insulting him and each other lets try and help him? I vote for reseating your HSF with some AS5.

It doesn't make sense to ME... :p

101 C is equal to 213.8 F

I was just reading what you wrote, and you hit comma instead of period on accident, so those two mistakes together didn't make any kind of sense. It's frustrating trying to help someone who doesn't supply enough info / and or deosn't have the time due to school or whatever the case may be. You gotta understand that.

I retire here.

EDIT: I don't know what you guys are getting so sensitive about. I think it's funny, almost comical...

FiNaL_MeTHoD said:
Ok well, I dont think 95.5* F and 101* Celcius is correct seing as they are very far apart. Also, alot of you guys have dissapointed me. What is the deal with calling each other names. It's pathetic guys...seriously...Ok it's pretty obvious this guy doesn't really know what he's doing...So instead of insulting him and each other lets try and help him? I vote for reseating your HSF with some AS5.

I also agree with the temp issue. I have seen some issues like this caused by the following

HSF not good mout or poor thermal transfer from CPU to HSF

Buggy Bios and poor use of motherboard sensor. (happens all the time) Hell did my neo 2 on chilled water and the Bios temp showed 32 degrees celsius at Idle even though I was circulating -2 degree celsius temp water through the system non stop. In fact I got condensation on tubing and cpu block measured it with a meter and temp probe @ idle i was in reality getting 6 degrees celsius. anyhow just an illustration to show you that not always is the bios temps a good measurment.

next would be PSU not giving the system correct amps and voltages causing cyclic rebooting and or boot failure also causing things like this to not read appropreatly.

Also bad Mobo. Which we hope its not and is the last resource of testing to try.

Let us know how it goes with the HSF.

Also Not all of us here have lowered ourselfs to calling anyone out or being insulting. Some of us here do wanna help. ;)

Alright thanks dude,
Ill try reseating the HSF and putting some thermal paste, if it wont work, ill buy a better PSU..and ill keep you informed..

I have to admit I did not provide much information, it's just that its hard for me to do everything, i mean like, for instance:
the guy who suggested me to check for a short to ground and install my sytem on a cardboard, but i am new to all this stuff..
I just learned last saturday how to install a computer part by part.If my friend wasn't there I could ahve never made it myself! Now, ur asking me to dismount it and install it on a cardboard...Not always very easy..but I still appreciate, and I will try it as a last resort..

As for RAM issues it just can't be it, RAM would never shut down ur computer after 30 secs or would never show all these unormal temperatures..

First thing I saw, was 4 pins missing on the motherboard power connection slot, so went and bought the adapter, still didnt work, so then i did some research on internet, and found 2 similar cases, one was a PSU problem the other a OVERHEATING problem...
So now im gonna start testing some things around to see..
And the information ur giving me guys, well its very helpfull and thanks a lot for the support

Ill try to keep you up-to-date

i read the whole thread, but didn't see a full system specs posted.

I read that you cannot get your HDD or CD ROM's to detect. If you have 2 hard drives, are they jumpered master/slave? or if only 1 HDD, is it set to cable select? or just remove the jumper completey....it depends, read the instructions for your specific model of drive on how to jumper it.

Because I say this since I had a single drive set as Master, and it wouldn't detect, I had to set it to Single drive config (it was a Western digital drive I think)

A good power supply is of course important...but I'm pretty sure a 350 watter Antec would be sufficent for now...your vid card is not a real high power one, and you didnt say you had like 5 drives in RAID or anything unusual.

I agree with the others...double check your heatsink is properly attached, make sure you read up on how to remove and apply thermal paste properly, as doing it wrong will be bad as well.

let us know how it goes :)

also for your RAM...is it DDR? set up in dual channel? if so I know you have to have the memory in certain slots for the dual channel to work....I dont know if you just filled the memory slots any which way if it would affect stability at all...but it doesnt hurt to check.

My MOBO works with DUAL CHANNEL DDR400 memory, and i have 2 sticks of 512mb DDR400 set up in the correct position to run dual channel..nothing should be wrong w/ 'em
However, if u guys really insist on checking my memory, i guess i could try and open my dads computer and put these two coz he has 4 slots of DDR400 and only 2 are used..

Also, when my comp starts it says:
Scanning for IDE DRIVES....
and then it doesnt detect any, and when I go into the BIOS, theyr all
" [NOT DETECTED] "..

And I do not know if it is normal but when my computer started I wanted to boot up from my DVD-Burner and i thought at inserting a cd of win xp pro, but the drive would not open.. it did have power tho' and it should have opened, even at start up no?!

And remember i cant go any further in the startup than 45 seconds..

Oh and also, my floppy works at startup, I had a win2k floppy disk, and it started booting from it, the setup started, but as i said it couldn last more than 45 seconds..

xrAzVaNx said:
Oh and also, my floppy works at startup, I had a win2k floppy disk, and it started booting from it, the setup started, but as i said it couldn last more than 45 seconds..
I think since it seems you don't have much experience with this, either let your friend fix it, or take it to a shop...very sensitive/expensive equipment to be trying to learn how to troubleshoot a system with...

This identical problem happened to my cousin.

He built his new rig with specs almost exactly like yours, except he had an X800XT PE.

He was going crazy, as any of us could understand. He had replaced almost every part in the PC. So, he humbly brought the computer to me to try and figure out.

I was confident that the problem was either with his CPU / HSF not being properly seated, proper cooling, or the PSU. I mean, when a computer shuts itself off, it is usually a defensive reactioin or something electrical. Otherwise, it would usually lockup or post an error.

So, I reseated the CPU/HSF with arctic silver, modded the case with some controllable side fans and rear exhaust. I rewired the case for better airflow. Same results, but temps were lower.

Then, for grins (seeing as he had like for like replaced his PSU, MOBO, memory, video card, searched the internet, lost sleep, etc. etc.) I decided to make a trip to CompUSA and buy a different PSU (regretting I had already rewired the rig). But, I thought, he has a 550W

Popped in the new/different PSU and fired it up. NO PROBLEMS. I can't recall the PSU he had initially, but it was rated very high on the web. I simply bought an Antec 500W PSU. I don't think it was the wattage difference, but a different manufacturer. Plus, temps were lower with this new PSU too.

I don't understand why. The PSU he had purchased was running in systems simillar to his all over the place, had good reviews, and he had like-for-like replaced it already getting the same results.

While it could be a number of problems in your rig, I spent allot of time checking timings, voltage, re-seating, case modding, etc. etc. trying to figure it out...

All I know, is that that one step made a HUGE difference for whatever reason. I'll find out which PSU he had initially and post later. But, I would encourage you, if you haven't already, consider swapping it out and giving it a chance before investing copious amounts of time. You can likely sell or return the PSU if it doesn't solve the problem.

Good luck, sorry for your misfortune.

Dim-Ize

xrAzVaNx said:
My MOBO works with DUAL CHANNEL DDR400 memory, and i have 2 sticks of 512mb DDR400 set up in the correct position to run dual channel..nothing should be wrong w/ 'em
However, if u guys really insist on checking my memory, i guess i could try and open my dads computer and put these two coz he has 4 slots of DDR400 and only 2 are used..

Also, when my comp starts it says:
Scanning for IDE DRIVES....
and then it doesnt detect any, and when I go into the BIOS, theyr all
" [NOT DETECTED] "..

And I do not know if it is normal but when my computer started I wanted to boot up from my DVD-Burner and i thought at inserting a cd of win xp pro, but the drive would not open.. it did have power tho' and it should have opened, even at start up no?!

And remember i cant go any further in the startup than 45 seconds..

I read this post after I had made my PSU suggestion. [Which may still be of use since your computer is shutting itself off during boot].

As far as it not seeing the drives, do you by chance have the drives plugged into a RAID controller on your MOBO? Many new motherboards have built in RAID, and you have to properly configure the RAID BIOS and load 3rd party RAID drivers before loading your OS.

If you do have these drive(s) plugged into a RAID controller and you don't want to run RAID, but straight IDE, refer to your MOBO manual for the correct connection point for IDE vs RAID.

Dim-Ize

I am 100% positive I didn't put the IDE cable on the raid controller :rolleyes:. I'm not stupid.
Anyways, Saturday I will go and put the thermal paste, and then if that doesn't work (I'm sure thats not the only problem) I will install the new PSU.

Dim-Ize said:
This identical problem happened to my cousin.

He built his new rig with specs almost exactly like yours, except he had an X800XT PE.

He was going crazy, as any of us could understand. He had replaced almost every part in the PC. So, he humbly brought the computer to me to try and figure out.

I was confident that the problem was either with his CPU / HSF not being properly seated, proper cooling, or the PSU. I mean, when a computer shuts itself off, it is usually a defensive reactioin or something electrical. Otherwise, it would usually lockup or post an error.

So, I reseated the CPU/HSF with arctic silver, modded the case with some controllable side fans and rear exhaust. I rewired the case for better airflow. Same results, but temps were lower.

Then, for grins (seeing as he had like for like replaced his PSU, MOBO, memory, video card, searched the internet, lost sleep, etc. etc.) I decided to make a trip to CompUSA and buy a different PSU (regretting I had already rewired the rig). But, I thought, he has a 550W

Popped in the new/different PSU and fired it up. NO PROBLEMS. I can't recall the PSU he had initially, but it was rated very high on the web. I simply bought an Antec 500W PSU. I don't think it was the wattage difference, but a different manufacturer. Plus, temps were lower with this new PSU too.

I don't understand why. The PSU he had purchased was running in systems simillar to his all over the place, had good reviews, and he had like-for-like replaced it already getting the same results.

While it could be a number of problems in your rig, I spent allot of time checking timings, voltage, re-seating, case modding, etc. etc. trying to figure it out...

All I know, is that that one step made a HUGE difference for whatever reason. I'll find out which PSU he had initially and post later. But, I would encourage you, if you haven't already, consider swapping it out and giving it a chance before investing copious amounts of time. You can likely sell or return the PSU if it doesn't solve the problem.

Good luck, sorry for your misfortune.

Dim-Ize

Yes I too have seen this happen in fact more then once. (might of even posted something earlier on it) The problem that is at cause is only about 2 to 3 possibillities as to why it happens.

1) Mobo and PSU incompatibillity
2) Defective PSU
3) Power supply that has (or atleast looks to have rated watts) but lacks something Just as important as watts if not more which is the rated amps per those channels. I have seen a many 500W PSU that will put out 500W of power but @ only 24 amps on the 12V rail when the actual manufactures reqirements for the Mobo/CPU/Ect will require more. even closer to 30 amps on the 12v rail or more.In fact this was the case for several power supplys that people were trying to use when the A64 stuff for 939 platform came out and they had power supplys that worked just fine for previous stuff but not this.

The system you have built in my belief is good but needs more then 350w of power supply. I would go no less then 480W and hell then might as well make it 500 or more. Be sure to pick a good manufacture. Pc power and cooling, OCZ, Zippy, Antec, ect.. Be aware of what the system needs for amps and get a power supply that will fullfill those needs. This is one area I always see people skimp and it can be one of the worst ones to do so. I still would recomend checking the HSF issue and fix it to make it by way of elimination.

if you are dumb enough to use the pad you should run it without fan( unplug it) till cpu gets good and hot shut system down let cool for a few hours then reboot with fan on and check temps, the pad is a phase change material that must get so hot before it works worth a darn..

ya its probably my 350W SmartPower PSU(version 1.3)...it has MAX 21 Amps on the +12V rail..
So i'll probably have to get a 12V version 2.0 PSU, coz my system is probably asking for more than this one. After all, I do have a newer motherboard, with Pci-express..

ITs bad enough (IMHO) to go 20 pin with an adaptor and you usually get away with it with a robust supply but 350w low amp mid line Antec on a power hungry P4 with voltage sensitive ram ...........not

get a 24 pin unit and even if it does not solve the issue it was money well spent

Back