built computer shuts down after 30 seconds

xrAzVaNx

n00b
hey i just built my own computer, after i start it up, after 30 secs, it shuts down!
could it be coz i have a 24 pin EATXPWR slot on my mobo, and I have only a 20 pin comign from the power supply (also, its a pci express mobo with a pci-e graphic card)??!!

perhaps, what are other things that I should check, coz i heard it does not always matter if im missing 4 pins..

i really need help, thanks

It's very likely the PSU. You should start by getting a proper PSU for your setup.

xrAzVaNx said:
hey i just built my own computer, after i start it up, after 30 secs, it shuts down!
could it be coz i have a 24 pin EATXPWR slot on my mobo, and I have only a 20 pin comign from the power supply (also, its a pci express mobo with a pci-e graphic card)??!!

perhaps, what are other things that I should check, coz i heard it does not always matter if im missing 4 pins..

i really need help, thanks

How about telling us all about the parts you have put together by manufacture and each ones specs. Kinda like in my sig. Thats a good place to start.

When my computer did that it was because my power supply didn't have enough wattage to power the system. When I got a more powerful power supply, the computer booted fine.

- Para

Guys I went and i bought the adapter , plugged it in, and it was still the same thing, after 40 secs, it shuts itself down , and once, when i started it up, it said: Overclocking Failed, but it's like brand new, never went into the BIOS setup, nothing..
its like if its trying to overclock itself..

Here is the specs:

Intel 3.2 ghz 1mb cache, 800FSB LGA775
P5GD1 motherboard(with PCI-express)
2x 512MB DDR400 RAM
Ati Radeon x700 pro
Western Digital 160gb
1.44Mb Floppy
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Value
Antec Solution Series SmartPower PSU is an ATX12V form factor PSU of 350 W that came with an Antec SLK2650-BQE
NEC DVD RW+- Dual Layer

either there is a short to ground somewhere,or its a bad PSU, Or something is not conected correctly like power or some other form of important conection is what it sounds like. But those all can have the same symptoms

I checked that computer when we built it, I did not find anything shorting any other part, but I don't think there is power going to the Optical or hard drives because it does not detect them at startup.

only way to be for sure there is no short to ground is to assemble system outside the case on a piece of card board and then try to see if it will run. Did you make sure the 4 pin power connection is plugged in.

NO NO NO - I am pretty sure you are clocked too high. Lower your RAM timings and other settings.

Are you sure that part of the motherboard isn't directly touching the case? The case conducts electricity, and will short the board. What the board is doing is trying to avoid damage by shutting down. It's not a matter of a poor connection, it needs to be on risers or something.

Always try the free things first, then the cheapest second, and the most expensive last.

If it was the PSU, it probably wouldn't even get into BIOS, because the power that is required to turn the computer ON is slightly more than it is when it's already on.

one other thing to check is that the Clear Cmos jumper is in the standard run position. Not in the clear position. I would then Unplug the power supply pull out the mobo bat and then use the reset cmos jumper and do a reset procedure. the pu jumper back to nrom position reinstall bat and fire it up.

Here, I found on a forum, a guy that had the exact same problem as me with very similar specs:
New PC Build Shutting down after ~30sec.

The problem has been fixed. All I needed was to get some good Thermal Paste because my stock Thermal Pad didn't exactly work up to specifications
His problem, CPU overheating,
His solution , putting thermal paste..
but it doesnt make sense, i mean its brand new and the heatsink that came with the processor had already a gold thermal pad under it, it shoudlnt cause a problem..

Now here is another guy with the similar problem, but his solution was to get a newer more powerfull powersupply:
PC shuts down during boot
Bought new power supply (Antec Truepower 430) and fitted 10 mins ago! hey it seems to work, boots first time with no problems.

What do you think, should I go and get a new PSU, or should I apply some thermal paste??

I agree with the "try the cheap/free things first"

How do the temps look in the bios? If they are high, use a good quality thermal grease.

If temps are fine, the PSU is next. the Antec smartpower line are wimpy and not reliable. Their TruePower lines are very respectable. Head on over to the PSU forum and read the first sticky for a PSU that works well and fits your budget.

I'm leaning towards the PSU.

xrAzVaNx said:
Here, I found on a forum, a guy that had the exact same problem as me with very similar specs:

His problem, CPU overheating,
but it doesnt make sense, i mean its brand new and the heatsink that came with the processor had already a gold thermal pad under it, it shoudlnt cause a problem..

What do you think, should I go and get a new PSU, or should I apply some thermal paste??

I think you obviously haven't got the slightest, n00biest clue on what you're doing.

I also think you're, now, wasting peoples' time by not listening to their advice.

Spend money if it makes you happy. Spend time if it makes you sleep better. But either one by itself might not get you anywhere.

I think you are lucky that the mobo designers considered people like you. T?rying to run a heatsink with no thermal paste *&@#$

The thermal pad doesn't work. Go online, look for directions to removing it safely and follow them to the letter, then order some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste

What computer are you posting this on? Take the PSU, and test it on another computer.

charles555 said:
Always try the free things first, then the cheapest second, and the most expensive last.

If it was the PSU, it probably wouldn't even get into BIOS, because the power that is required to turn the computer ON is slightly more than it is when it's already on.
That's not true. The PSU uses the most power during intensive tasks like booting up or playing games. Making the CPU, GPU, and other components run at peak capacity takes a lot of power.

Protoform-X said:
That's not true. The PSU uses the most power during intensive tasks like booting up or playing games. Making the CPU, GPU, and other components run at peak capacity takes a lot of power.

Yeah, that true, but it IS true in this particular situation because he can't he even get into Windows to use anymore power than when he boots up.

I guess I havent seen it clarified yet. Does it ever even post? Will it actually go into the bios? This might help. That particular power supply is known to not be a real power house. Not enough 12v amp rating and not enough watts. The TP series are much better. I dont think that its an issue with heat unless you didnt seat the HSF good or correctly. To me if its not ever going into bios(try hitting delete button @ post screen when bootiing) that tells me that there might be a power issue. Even if you use the PSU from the current machine you are running doent mean it will work any better. If it does not have the correct amp and watt ratings needed to power what you have it just wont work.

Now I very well agree that trying things free and simple are the best bet to start with. But start somewhere. I also think that there have been some good suggestions of where to start and go to. just try them. Elimination makes for wonders. And nobody needs to get mean and insulting here. Doesnt help fix anything and doesnt make you look very good either. so lets all be nice and good luck with your problem.

One of my friends just brought me some thermal paste, so I guess ill start with that and ill apply it to see if it works, but I think the Heatsink already had a thermal pad with something on it..Anyways, I am going to check that out and ill get back to you with new information on what's happenning.
So, thanks for helping me out guys . :)

I didnt read the whole thread, but if the HSF inst pluggedf iinto the MB it will cause a problem like this also.

Umm, gold? That worries me. Did you make sure that you removed the little protective covering that is not the actual thermal pad?

I think the paste will help you. I dont believe its the PSU unless there is a short somewhere. Are you getting the proper POST beeps?

havent bothered reading through it all, but have you tried MemTest86+? if its randomly rebooting, its also highly probable that the RAM is bad.

i said gold coz it looked like gold..but its probably not gold..sorry for that

As for my RAM, I don't understand , how do you want me to check it?!
And anyways I don't see how the RAM could cause such a major problem..
That looks more like a problem in which the computer turns off in order to protect itself from heat or lack of power..either one of them..

dude, you're just making things worse trying to understand them.

:p listen to me and MAYBE you won't kill yourself trying to bite the "gold" off the powersupply transformer...

TSS Modder said:
havent bothered reading through it all, but have you tried MemTest86+? if its randomly rebooting, its also highly probable that the RAM is bad.
I doubt it. It's randomly rebooting BEFORE he gets into Windows or anything, so I don't think RAM is an issue.

xrAzVaNx said:
i said gold coz it looked like gold..but its probably not gold..sorry for that

As for my RAM, I don't understand , how do you want me to check it?!
And anyways I don't see how the RAM could cause such a major problem..
That looks more like a problem in which the computer turns off in order to protect itself from heat or lack of power..either one of them..
ok... listen to me and learn to read.... i probably know more about this than you do anyways... thats why youre a n00b....

i asked if you ran MemTest86+; that would be how you check it... duhh....

if youve never heard of MemTest or dont know how to use it, then ask that instead of yelling at me... :mad:

is this thing still rebooting after so many seconds? or has it moved onto another problem? im too tired to read throught the rest of the thread.

random rebooting is generally caused by bad RAM. i just found this out the other week when fixing a PC.

lorcani said:
I doubt it. It's randomly rebooting BEFORE he gets into Windows or anything, so I don't think RAM is an issue.
whether the problem is RAM or not, by running MemTest for 45mins, you easily figure out whether the problem is RAM or not. if its not the RAM, youre all good. if it has errors, then theres your problem.

the PC i was fixing eventually got so bad it couldnt even get to the Windows screen, also.

I don't thonk anybody's yelling at anybody, just a little confused and short on mental capacity.

Still, you have every right to be mad at this n00b. :)

xrAzVaNx, your name says it all. Stop doing nitrous. :p

Memtest86 is what I run when my computer reboots to test whether I have RAM or FSB settings too high. These settings are how you overclock, and I am lucky to have Memtest86 built in to my BIOS, but you can download it.... LATER when you need to do it.

First do what everbody is saying and put thermal paste on and clip the heatsink down "properly"...

Then tell us what happens.
Very Simple.... you can do it!

TSS Modder said:
whether the problem is RAM or not, by running MemTest for 45mins, you easily figure out whether the problem is RAM or not. if its not the RAM, youre all good. if it has errors, then theres your problem.

the PC i was fixing eventually got so bad it couldnt even get to the Windows screen, also.
Because 30 seconds gives you enough time to run MemTest for 45 minutes.

And you're the one telling the OP to learn to read. :rolleyes:

lorcani said:
Because 30 seconds gives you enough time to run MemTest for 45 minutes.

And you're the one telling the OP to learn to read. :rolleyes:
youre a dumbass.....

you OBVIOUSLY have never run MemTest.... stupid dumbasses......

memtest will run whether you have bad ram or not. its not gonna restart when running memtest like it does now.

stupid

fucking

dumbasses

:mad:

make sure that your heat sink is actually in contact with the processor.

one time i built a system (athlon 1200+) and i accidently put the heatsink on rotated 180 degrees so that the chamfer in the heatsink was on the opposite side to the bevel on the socket.

point is ... it sounds like a thermal problem and you should make sure the heatsink is on the correct way and that it is indeed in contact with the chip.

if that's not the problem then try to re-seat the processor (ie. take it out, blow on it, blow in the socket, put it back in, etc.)

make sure the back of the motherboard is not shorting with anything.

next thing is to start taking out pieces 1 by 1 .... i built another system recently and it would crash just after it finished loading windows ... i swapped out the ram and its perfectly stable. it could be the hard drive, the video card, anything ... you have to pull each piece out and replace it with another one temporarily and try it.

charles555 said:
...I am lucky to have Memtest86 built in to my BIOS, but you can download it...
is that on your DFI board? sounds like a nice feature.

BTW, i had a problem like this on a computer i built for a friend because.........I put on the hsf backwards....... *runs away crying*

TSS Modder is a good example of someone who doesnt read a thread all the way and then thinks he/she has the perfect answer.........

Its not the RAM, that's easy to get away, its the same time over and over and he cant even get into the BIOS it seems, you can boot into the BIOS without RAM even in a computer.....

I still believe that it is a heat issue, from what I read you never reported back after trying to use the paste?

I'd try a different PSU if you can, I'd also make sure that no wires on the PSU are exposed. This could touch the case and cause a short which will cause the shut down.

I'd take everything out except the video card (only if the board does not have onboard video) mother board, processor, memory and a hard drive. Everything else should be taken out and see if it works. Then once you've done that slowly add a peice by peice and see what happens. This could show if its a certain part of the computer that's having the problem or not. Also, is there anyway you can possibly read the temp of the processor? That could show some more info about the problem.

yep, spydermonkey, it IS a nice feature that most of the DFI nF3 250Gb BIOS' have. There is also a 4v vDIMM mod...

Skrying said:
TSS Modder is a good example of someone who doesnt read a thread all the way and then thinks he/she has the perfect answer.........

Its not the RAM, that's easy to get away, its the same time over and over and he cant even get into the BIOS it seems, you can boot into the BIOS without RAM even in a computer.....

I still believe that it is a heat issue, from what I read you never reported back after trying to use the paste?

I'd try a different PSU if you can, I'd also make sure that no wires on the PSU are exposed. This could touch the case and cause a short which will cause the shut down.

I'd take everything out except the video card (only if the board does not have onboard video) mother board, processor, memory and a hard drive. Everything else should be taken out and see if it works. Then once you've done that slowly add a peice by peice and see what happens. This could show if its a certain part of the computer that's having the problem or not. Also, is there anyway you can possibly read the temp of the processor? That could show some more info about the problem.

ill just start pointing out things onebyone to save me time:

1) i already stated that i didnt bother to read all of the way through. if you would like to take the time to point out everything thats happened, i would be more than glad to read it.

2) i fix PCs for a living. i have hundreds of hours of exp w/ this crap. and when troubleshooting something, you start with the dumbest and easiest things first. if it has a symptom that could be related to multiple pieces of hardware, start knocking them out one at a time by running quick, easy tests. RAM is always my first test when it comes to issues like these. quick and painless, and saves me from ranting.

3) if he cant even get into the BIOS, then, yea its definately a mobo issue.

4) he has a P4.... overheating could quite possibly be the issue. he should make sure that everything is seated properly before turning it on again and again. but it doesnt make sense that its the CPU overheating if it shuts down at the same time, again and again.

5) i had a PC years ago that would reboot as soon as it got to a certain point in bootup, and the mobo turned out to be damaged.

Back