Building Question

zach2004

n00b
What do you guys put your computers together on? I've been looking for an antistatic mat but I cant seem to find any.

Please refrain from saying things like Carpet :)

I put mine together in a room with a painted concrete floor and a wooden desk loaded with the tools and parts to put it together and troubleshoot if necessary.

Haven't had any problems. *knock on wood

Personally, I just do it on my lap most of the time. If not there, then a surface that won't conduct electrostatic energy such as a leather couch or a birch desk. As the previous poster mentioned, haven't had any problems yet with EMI or anything.

Dark Assassin

thanks for the help. looks like ill just build it on a wooden surface or concrete floor.

One good thing to get in the habit of is ground youself out to your case before you touch any components inside of it. Also ground yourself out to your case before you touch anything that you are going to put in it.

This can help you can avoid ESD... :p

Yeah I just read that in my book. Said something like touching the case before you do anything.

make sure the case is plugged in and the psu is off if you use the the case to ground yourself.

I have a metal plate installed on my wall thats grounded

Back