• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building Question

zach2004

n00b
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
49
What do you guys put your computers together on? I've been looking for an antistatic mat but I cant seem to find any.


Please refrain from saying things like Carpet :)
 
I put mine together in a room with a painted concrete floor and a wooden desk loaded with the tools and parts to put it together and troubleshoot if necessary.

Haven't had any problems. *knock on wood
 
Personally, I just do it on my lap most of the time. If not there, then a surface that won't conduct electrostatic energy such as a leather couch or a birch desk. As the previous poster mentioned, haven't had any problems yet with EMI or anything.

Dark Assassin
 
thanks for the help. looks like ill just build it on a wooden surface or concrete floor.
 
One good thing to get in the habit of is ground youself out to your case before you touch any components inside of it. Also ground yourself out to your case before you touch anything that you are going to put in it.

This can help you can avoid ESD... :p
 
Yeah I just read that in my book. Said something like touching the case before you do anything.
 
make sure the case is plugged in and the psu is off if you use the the case to ground yourself.

I have a metal plate installed on my wall thats grounded
 
Back
Top