building new system questions

tscompusa

Weaksauce
I'm getting rid of my old system I currently have but I just want to make sure everything is going to be compatible that I have

e6600 / cooling possibly my big typhoon? ( will it fit? )
thermal: as5
asus p5k deluxe
crucial ballistix pc2 8500 1x2gb
Thermaltake TR2-430W (what I have now ) is it enough?

Does this sound like a good combo? And my main concern being
the heatsink I currently have. Is it still up to par with todays? And
will it fit in between all that copper on this motherboard?

thanks for your replies.

Sorry dont know about the heatsink. but the current crop of BIG HS will fit, some info on the last pages of this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1193659

One thing I noticed is you may be overspending on ram (cash for new HS ?) consider this.

The ram you are looking at is rated for a speed of 1066MHz and timings of 5 5 5 15 (at least the ones I looked up)

Intel c2d run best with the memory at a 1:1 ratio which is when the memory runs at the FSB speed x 2 .

The E6600 has a maximum multiplier of 9 and runs at 4x the FSB.

At a FSB of 375MHz you will be overclocked to 3.375GHz a pretty respectable OC.
However your memory will be running at a speed of only 750MHz way under spec.

At a FSB of 400MHz you will be overcocked to 3.6GHz and frankly it will be a reach on air.
However your memory will be running at a speed of only 800MHz still way under spec.

You can use memory dividers to run the ram at a ratio other than 1:1 and increase its speed however it does not provide as much performace inprovement as one would think due to wait states and buffering that has to be implemented. Also and more importanlty in my estimation is that boards tend to be less stable and it may affect your ability to acheive high OC's with dividers other than 1:1. This has not been proven.

I suggest you look at PC6400 memory and if you still want to spend the cash go for something with 4 4 4 12 timings which I know will perform as well or better than the PC8500 at 5 5 5 15. Remember you will be at cpu 3.6GHz before you even start to OC the memory if you use PC6400.

With memory prices dropping the PC8500 memory is not as expensive as it was and its difficult to argure against overspecing stuff as the price may only be a few dollars more than PC6400 memory but here is a place you may be able to save some cash and even improve the performacne by going to PC6400 with tighter timings. Worth taking a look at anyway.

Have fun with your new build. (and redo the chipset thermals, new paste and hardware before you install if you are really going to push it, keeping the MCH cool is the key to high FSB's and thus high OC's. )

I think you will be fine with your existing supply if you are reusing the video card in your sig I run the machine in my sig with a decent 420W supply.

I'm getting rid of my old system I currently have but I just want to make sure everything is going to be compatible that I have

e6600 / cooling possibly my big typhoon? ( will it fit? )
thermal: as5
asus p5k deluxe
crucial ballistix pc2 8500 1x2gb
Thermaltake TR2-430W (what I have now ) is it enough?

Does this sound like a good combo? And my main concern being
the heatsink I currently have. Is it still up to par with todays? And
will it fit in between all that copper on this motherboard?

thanks for your replies.

The Big Typhoon will fit, but there are FAR better coolers than those out on the market. The Scythe Infinity/Ninja are popular, as is the Thermalright Ultra 120 and Ultra 120 Extreme. Another popular cooler is the Tuniq Tower. I'd go with something along those lines honestly. For the memory, PC2-8500 is fine, I've had great luck using dividers and getting solid performance out of an overclock. Yes 1:1 is best, but the difference isn't going to be huge if you do it another way. I'd suggest also going with a different PSU. Not so much for wattage reasons, but due to quality. If I am not mistaken that's one of the earlier Thermaltake PSUs and those aren't that reliable as I understand it. Depending on your graphics card you might want to consider an upgrade of the PSU as well. An 8800 series card would tear that PSU up over a short period of time.

As to your heat sink question, the Big Typhoon is still a decent cooler, but it's not the best by any stretch. I'd say it's above average but there are a good 6 or 7 coolers that will give you better results. I still have one myself running on my E6600 machine and it's doing a decent job, but the temps aren't the best in that case. I'm considering water cooling that unit as well, but I will probably just get one of the above mentioned coolers and leave it at that.

Thanks for that detailed answer. That helps me alot. I don't really think I'm going to use that pc2 8500 then. I'm now searching for a decent e6600 that I can OC the hell out of. I will go with the pc2 6400 then.

The Big Typhoon will fit, but there are FAR better coolers than those out on the market. The Scythe Infinity/Ninja are popular, as is the Thermalright Ultra 120 and Ultra 120 Extreme. Another popular cooler is the Tuniq Tower. I'd go with something along those lines honestly. For the memory, PC2-8500 is fine, I've had great luck using dividers and getting solid performance out of an overclock. Yes 1:1 is best, but the difference isn't going to be huge if you do it another way. I'd suggest also going with a different PSU. Not so much for wattage reasons, but due to quality. If I am not mistaken that's one of the earlier Thermaltake PSUs and those aren't that reliable as I understand it. Depending on your graphics card you might want to consider an upgrade of the PSU as well. An 8800 series card would tear that PSU up over a short period of time.

As to your heat sink question, the Big Typhoon is still a decent cooler, but it's not the best by any stretch. I'd say it's above average but there are a good 6 or 7 coolers that will give you better results. I still have one myself running on my E6600 machine and it's doing a decent job, but the temps aren't the best in that case. I'm considering water cooling that unit as well, but I will probably just get one of the above mentioned coolers and leave it at that.

Hmm ok.. I'm not sure what I want to do memory wise I think I'm going to just use pc6400 because Mwave has a combo deal where it will save me alot of $ to do with pc6400.

As far as heatsinks go, I thought I had the best one out still but then again I haven't been keeping up on things lol. I'm definitely going to get the best one out then... I dont game on the pc ever, I use ps3/xbox360 for that.

So far I haven't ran into any issues with this power supply, but I have also read some negative things to about it.

I appreciate the help and feedback. Thanks guys.

just found this great deal on Ballistic PC6400

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1201241

Ya I've seen that, But I was afraid of not being able to get it mailed in on-time to get that rebate. Or do they base the date on the receipt of the purchase date and not the actual date they receive it in the mail? Either way that would be even cheaper then the combo mwave deal if I can indeed get that rebate sent in.

As far as heatsinks go, I thought I had the best one out still but then again I haven't been keeping up on things lol. I'm definitely going to get the best one out then... I dont game on the pc ever, I use ps3/xbox360 for that.

So far I haven't ran into any issues with this power supply, but I have also read some negative things to about it.

Well when the Big Typhoon came out it was one of the best coolers on the market. However things have changed and there have been some slight advancements in cooler design which have lead to products like the Tuniq Tower. Also I'm confused as to why you have a 7800GT that's been overclocked in your sig if you don't play games on your PC?

It seems like a waste and certainly overkill if you don't need to play games. If you do 3D work I can see a need for something decent, but I wouldn't think you'd be overclocking it. I could see maybe soft modding a Geforce to a Quadro, or getting an actual Quadro card.

Look, if you want decent cooling and dont want to have to install the front end of a chevy malibu on the underside of the MB, consider the ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7. I have three comps with this cooler, I have all three with C2Ds from the 6300 to the 6700. All are OC'd and run very cool.
The FP7 just snaps right in like the stock cooler, no muss, no fuss, no extra hardware. costs less than 35 bucks.
just 2 cents.

Well when the Big Typhoon came out it was one of the best coolers on the market. However things have changed and there have been some slight advancements in cooler design which have lead to products like the Tuniq Tower. Also I'm confused as to why you have a 7800GT that's been overclocked in your sig if you don't play games on your PC?

It seems like a waste and certainly overkill if you don't need to play games. If you do 3D work I can see a need for something decent, but I wouldn't think you'd be overclocking it. I could see maybe soft modding a Geforce to a Quadro, or getting an actual Quadro card.

Well my native resolution on my current monitor is 1920x1200 2407wfp rev4, So I have it voltmodded to sort of help it along with that. The 6600gt I had was bottlenecking my entire system due to this resolution.

Now that I see that tho, thats my old 7800gt. This current one wouldnt OC for nothin. So I mys well just flash the original bios image back.

Look, if you want decent cooling and dont want to have to install the front end of a chevy malibu on the underside of the MB, consider the ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7. I have three comps with this cooler, I have all three with C2Ds from the 6300 to the 6700. All are OC'd and run very cool.
The FP7 just snaps right in like the stock cooler, no muss, no fuss, no extra hardware. costs less than 35 bucks.
just 2 cents.

I want the best air cooler out basically. I am going to have to research. Size isn't a concern for me (as long it fits on mobo). It really doesn't get bigger then what I have already lol.

Well my native resolution on my current monitor is 1920x1200 2407wfp rev4, So I have it voltmodded to sort of help it along with that. The 6600gt I had was bottlenecking my entire system due to this resolution.

Now that I see that tho, thats my old 7800gt. This current one wouldnt OC for nothin. So I mys well just flash the original bios image back.

Umm, 2D work at 1920x1200 won't make any difference man. If you aren't doing 3D stuff at all, no card will be bottlenecking anything. You can get by with a 7300GS or some crap like that. Unless we are talking about Vista and Aero there is no value to having a higher end card, or even a medium high end card for your PC. Voltmodding and overclocking won't help either, they'll shorten the life of the card (potentially) and create undue stress that can lead to sudden failure. Even for playback of high definition content, there is little reason to buy anything other than an 8600GT or possibly even an 8500 series card. (ATI side of things: HD 2400 series or HD 2600 series.)

Dont know about how the rebate works, generally if you buy before the close date you have 30days or so to actually send in the rebate. I also did not follow the link and check the timings of that ram.

Like Dan said theres nothing "wrong" with the 8500 I just mainly mentioned the PC6400 options to help if the budget is tight.

I just saw this, and thought it was worth showing, mentioning, I am a bit of a fanatic on increasing the reliabiliy (because I keep systems a long time at high OCs) and hate heat. Here is a "cool" idea and something I was not aware of on that board (mosfets on back side) and as its somthing you would want to do, cutting the MB tray at least, during first install so you could later add the ram sinks without pulling the board out. I thought I would show it to you. Just food for thought if you really want to max that board out.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031178970&postcount=21

Yeah but can the side covers even fit on the case with those on there?

Umm, 2D work at 1920x1200 won't make any difference man. If you aren't doing 3D stuff at all, no card will be bottlenecking anything. You can get by with a 7300GS or some crap like that. Unless we are talking about Vista an Aero there is no value to having a higher end card, or even a medium end card for your PC. Voltmodding and overclocking won't help either, they'll shorten the life of the card (potentially) and create undue stress that can lead to sudden failure. Even for playback of high definition content, there is little reason to buy anything other than an 8600GT or possibly even an 8500 series card. (ATI side of things: HD 2400 series or HD 2600 series.)

oh ok.. I'm gonna demod it then in a few hours here. My mouse did seem to drag tho on the 6600gt, but then again, I had it in my head that the card was bottlenecking me so I went back to a 7800gt. What you're saying makes way more sense tho, desktop works only 2d usually.

I'm still on XP, I cant stand vista and its goofy driver support atm. So personal preference wise which heatsink would you recommend? that tuniq tower?

yes, barely. If you look at the bottom ones very closely you can just see the gab between what is the top of the ramsink and the edge of the lip the side panel will fit on. Looks to be a couple of mm's of clearance. It is close.

OP, (I am catching up on my PK5 reading so I am finding stuff all the time and updateing my knoweldge so bear with me, )

No worries about ram voltage apparently booting with high voltage memory has been pretty much solved and I found another post(s) were people are using that 2.2V ballistic with no issues.

Dont know about how the rebate works, generally if you buy before the close date you have 30days or so to actually send in the rebate. I also did not follow the link and check the timings of that ram.

Like Dan said theres nothing "wrong" with the 8500 I just mainly mentioned the PC6400 options to help if the budget is tight.

I just saw this, and thought it was worth showing, mentioning, I am a bit of a fanatic on increasing the reliabiliy (because I keep systems a long time at high OCs) and hate heat. Here is a "cool" idea and something I was not aware of on that board (mosfets on back side) and as its somthing you would want to do, cutting the MB tray at least, during first install so you could later add the ram sinks without pulling the board out. I thought I would show it to you. Just food for thought if you really want to max that board out.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031178970&postcount=21

lol.. that seems alittle to extreme for my taste. Im really only out to get maybe 3.3ghz at most. This is a temp setup until july 22nd basically for me.

EDIT: if it fits with the side casing on it, It may be something I would be interested in doing. Since those are just basically sticky mem sinks right? Like the same ones
used on 3d cards?

yes, barely. If you look at the bottom ones very closely you can just see the gab between what is the top of the ramsink and the edge of the lip the side panel will fit on. Looks to be a couple of mm's of clearance. It is close.

OP, (I am catching up on my PK5 reading so I am finding stuff all the time and updateing my knoweldge so bear with me, )

No worries about ram voltage apparently booting with high voltage memory has been pretty much solved and I found another post(s) were people are using that 2.2V ballistic with no issues.

I hope I just didnt make the wrong move buying that memory from Tiger. The specs on it are the following.

PC6400
4-4-4-12

I didnt think I could go wrong tho 2gb for 70 bux??

I hope I just didnt make the wrong move buying that memory from Tiger. The specs on it are the following.

PC6400
4-4-4-12

I didnt think I could go wrong tho 2gb for 70 bux??

What brand is it? You certainly can go wrong for $70.00 I assure you.

What brand is it? You certainly can go wrong for $70.00 I assure you.

Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB)

The same stuff as the 8500 basically minus the speed. Sorry I forget to mention the most important part the brand.. Also now I do see the 30 day period they give for the rebate after purchase date. (so thats no problem)

ah I just took notice to your signature dan. Nice setup. I was close to getting that 3007 to , but Realized its pretty overkill for the average pc user. do you do any type of CAD work?

ending up going with

asus p5k deluxe board
crucial ballistix pc6400 2gb
tuniq tower 120

and now searching for the right e6600 that will oc

I woulda went with the thermalright ultra 120 extreme, but all the reviews
said it required lapping 99% of the time and was poorly designed as far as
being able to turn once clamped down on board.

should wait and get Quad Q6600. Its going to be what. $20 more expensive in a month?

And Ide recommend getting the pc8500 ballistix. $170Canadian right now. for 2gb.

mehhhhhh

Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB)

The same stuff as the 8500 basically minus the speed. Sorry I forget to mention the most important part the brand.. Also now I do see the 30 day period they give for the rebate after purchase date. (so thats no problem)

Those will work fine.

ah I just took notice to your signature dan. Nice setup. I was close to getting that 3007 to , but Realized its pretty overkill for the average pc user. do you do any type of CAD work?

Shit no all I do is play games and write motherboard reviews. (The real estate offered by a monitor at such high resolution does make both tasks nice.)

should wait and get Quad Q6600. Its going to be what. $20 more expensive in a month?

And Ide recommend getting the pc8500 ballistix. $170Canadian right now. for 2gb.

mehhhhhh

this is just a temp build.. I am planning on changing sometime in august. I don't do anything that requires 4 cores tho. I will go with the e6850

lol.. sounds like fun!

It is. Unfortunately I don't have as much time for games as I'd like. I also don't have as much time for working on my own PC as I would like. Water cooling is addictive as hell.

Back