Building New Rig

Pez

[H]ard|Gawd
My current computer is failing. I've had two power supplies burn out, as well as a video card. Not my system has taken to crashing and locking up in even the simplest games, so instead of replacing everything, I'm going to start anew. I was originally going to buy from a boutique, but after building a computer for a family member, my love for creating was rekindled from the old days.

Purpose of this build: long lasting gaming rig, also capable of handling massive (10-50MB) Excel files easily,

Some things to note: I have a Tiger Direct, Fry's and Microcenter all within driving distance, so items might be cheaper buying directly from them instead of Newegg + shipping. If you can provide me with some suggestions (and maybe some justification), I'll do all the pricing.

The only thing I plan on salvaging from my current rig is the monitor - 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3. I might buy something smaller, like a 24 or 27 incher just for the higher resolutions, but that will come later.

Budget: high
GPU: Visiontek 4780 X2
Mobo: DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS LGA 775 Intel X48
CPU: Q9450 (it's $280 at Microcenter, don't think I can pass that up).

I'm pretty much open on most things, but I really want the X2. I picked the DFI Lanparty because the x48's will allow XF at 16 instead of 8 like the x45's. It may not provide much now, but who knows what the future will hold.

For the CPU, I know the 6600 is great to oc, but at the price Microcenter has for the 9450, I'm not sure I can pass it up. Quadcore might not give much of a performance boost over a stock dual, but again, as the next generation of games/programs come out, I expect the quads will start to show what they are made of in the next two years. I'm planning on overclocking sometime in the next year, but that depends on how game technology progresses.

I don't really care about the case, as long as it's fuctional and has good air flow (I don't plan on water cooling). I'll probably pick up something big and cheap and comes with a 120 fan. As for the RAM, something reliable and functional.

I'll also need some suggestions for gaming accessories: mouse, keyboard, joystick.

Thanks in advance.

I've been hearing a few a compatibility issues with DFI motherboards and the HD4870X2 card. So do some research on that.

PSU wise, I recommend getting this:
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $98

And definitely this HSF:
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $50

Also, you can pick up Vista from Microcenter for $80. So definitely don't pass on that and the Q9450.

As for hard drives, the WD6400AAKS is as fast as many Raptor drives out there yet is considerably cheaper and offers significantly more storage:
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $85

I am now the proud owner of a Q9450. Any ideas on which mobo's are good for the X2? I haven't been able to find anything here on [H].

What if you are looking for a modular type PSU? WHich one would be good and inexpensive?

Corsair's HX line, Zalman's ZM750-HP, and some of the Toughpowers that are in modular form should all be "fairly" cheap.

I am now the proud owner of a Q9450. Any ideas on which mobo's are good for the X2? I haven't been able to find anything here on [H].

AFAIK, every one of these motherboards should be compatible with the X2, except for the DFIs:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $90
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Motherboard - $112
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $128
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $140
Biostar TPower I45 Intel P45 Motherboard - $150
DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R Intel X38 Motherboard - $180
Asus P5E Deluxe Intel X48 Motherboard - $220
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2R Intel X48 Motherboard - $220
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Intel X48 Motherboard - $225

Just to help you out: All of these motherboards have PCI-E 2.0 which may be useful for future GPU upgrades. If you don't need RAID, more than 6 SATA ports and only need semi-decent overclocking, check out the DS3L. If you need 8 SATA ports, RAID, 4 PCI slots, and legacy ports, then get the Neo3-Fr. If you don't need more than 6 SATA ports but want RAID, firewire, a second PCI-E x16 port, a second gigabit port, support for 16GB of RAM, optional eSATA, x8/x8 Crossfire, and great overclocks, then get the DS3R. If you like the DS3R but need 8 SATA ports, want an onboard pre-installed fast booting Linux setup, just support for 8GB of RAM, and don't need a second gigabit port, get the Asus P5Q Pro. If you want a motherboard with excellent overclocking capabilities above all else (feature wise), go with the I45. If you want Crossfire with full x16/x16 bandwidth, get the Lanparty DK X38. If you have cash to burn, need x16/x16 Crossfire, and don't give a damn about getting the most value for your money, get the Asus, DFI, or Gigabyte X48 motherboards. Do note that the Asus website can be slow sometimes.

Already purchased:
CPU: Q9450

Pending:
GPU: VisionTek 4870 X2
PSU: Silencer 750X
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800

The Gigabyte is capable of handling 2 X2's at 16.0 PCI-E in cease I go XF in the future, and the Silencer has the 6+2 connections for the X2, so I should be covered. Then I'll just get a big, cheap case with a 120mm fan, and I should be good to go.

Your thoughts?

The Coolermaster RC590 for $61.something shipped at buy.com with 5% coupon code (check HotDeals section here) is probably your best bet for a big cheap case with good airflow.

Actually, never played Crysis. With the problems my computer's been having, I never could have. But... I want to try it. And I want to finish some games I started before the "troubles" began, such as HL2 and maybe Bioshock (dispite all the crap that comes with the game). I'm really looking forward to some games that will be out in the next year, such as Spore, Cities XL and Jumpgate Evolution.

Back on topic, I'm contemplating upgrading my Westy too. It's a great monitor, but it does have some problems. It does suffer from some bleed-through. Are there any good gaming monitors bigger than 30 inches?

Back