• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building new Gaming/Developing rig..need pr0 advice.

viryoulent

n00b
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
18
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (Specifically: BF3, SC2, WoW) - I'm all about PvP so can't have any lag! I want the advantage ;)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3000$ - Yes all included.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA - 30 min from Boston - Yes there is a microcenter 30 min away and I can get the majority of parts there to save a buck.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
- Motherboard
- CPU
- PSU
- Video Card(s)
- Memory
- Case
- SSD
- DVD Player/Writer/BlueRay Player/Writer? (Dont really need blueray writing but player would be nice)
- Cooling system/ or extra fans?
- OS (Windows 7 Pro OEM?)
- Monitor (pref 27" or 32" tvs are pretty cheap for like 200$- 250$) not sure the difference.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Not reusing parts, all new
6) Will you be overclocking?
I'd like too...but will have to look into it more.
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Will be buying a new one but it's the standard 1960 or whatever it is x 1100 (sorry I'm a newb at this stuff)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI if I decide to go dual graphics instead of a single 690 or titan?
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I will be buying the OEM Windows 7 Pro (Included with budget as listed above)


My thoughts as far as parts:

I was thinking Corsair Vengeance for memory but not sure the advantage of having a higher MHZ? Any difference as far as 1600 v 2400 that I'll honestly notice in gaming, etc? Also I was told to go RIpjaw because of same timings ?

Also I was told to save money by going the 670 FTW dual SLI nstead of 680 dual sli ? due to the fps being almost identical ?

Case I was thinking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133202

About all I have so far
 
Last edited:
NewEgg's a little wonky for me this morning. Which specific (brand/model) case were you considering?

Let's stick with the 27 inch monitor for now: Would you prefer a 1920x1080 resolution or a 2560x1440 resolution? You could stick with one GTX 670 or HD 7970 with the former resolution, but the latter guarantees that you'll need SLI or CFX.

What Blu-rays are you planning on viewing on this computer? Do you have a standalone BR player (or a PS3)?
 
Okay, NewEgg seems to be back online... now that I saw the case, I'm not a fan of it.

If a white case is a must for you, I personally like the looks (and cost) of the Corsair Vengeance C70, the NZXT Phantom (or its smaller 410 sibling), or the Corsair 500R. Check your local Micro Center to see if one of those cases is on stock, if not on sale.

Speaking of which, here's what you should grab from Micro Center:

$170 - Intel Core i5-3570K (in-store end-of-month special)
$95 - Asus P8Z77-V LK (included instant $40 discount when purchased alongside i5-3570K)
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
$68 - Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB DDR3 1600
$250 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
$100 - Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
$16 - LG SATA DVD burner (or any other sub-$20 DVD burner)
$140 - Corsair HX750 750W modular PSU
$140 - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM
=====
$1009 - Subtotal (not including taxes or rebates)

I didn't include a video card (or two) because I still need an answer on the monitor resolution you prefer. Do you want a 1920x1080 resolution or a 2560x1440 resolution?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not really sure the difference - I mean I know it makes the icons and things smaller, but in gaming how's that play a role? Show more around me? I suppose if I could get a decent sized higher resolution monitor at a decent rate that will last me - that would be great.
 
And no, I currently have no blue-ray player so this would be my main source for watching blue ray videos as well.
 
I also forgot to mention, this 3k is play money so it was put aside fully for a computer that will last me for the next 5 years or so that I will want to throw any game at it with no frame lag. I plan to hopefully take this rig with me on the road to network conventions and play professionally with it. (Mostly SC2)
 
So you want to travel with this system... have you thought about going with a smaller micro-ATX or mini-ITX-based system?

Let's solve the monitor dilemma this way: Which monitor do you use the most right now?
 
And I don't mind carrying around a full tower it won't be frequent travels with it as most competitions require you to use their machines. Full tower I feel would give me more room to work with stuff.
 
Yeah, a full ATX tower would provide you with plenty of room, but there are plenty of good micro-ATX and mini-ITX cases you could work with. Two such examples are (using NewEgg links for reference) the Silverstone TJ08-E (a mATX case) and the BitFenix Prodigy (a mITX case).

For simplicity's sake, are you most comfortable with a 1920x1080 (aka 1080p) resolution?
 
For the ultimate in portability, here's what a mini-ITX system would look like:

$70 - BitFenix Prodigy mini-ITX mini-tower case
$170 - Intel Core i5-3570K (in-store end-of-month special)
$90 - Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI (included instant $40 discount when purchased alongside i5-3570K)
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
$68 - Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB DDR3 1600
$370 - MSI HD 7970 OC TwinFrozr III 3GB or EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB
$250 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
$100 - Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
$16 - LG SATA DVD burner (or any other sub-$20 DVD burner)
$140 - Corsair HX750 750W modular PSU
$140 - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM
=====
$1444 - Subtotal (not including taxes or rebates)

The only changes I made from my original build were to the case and motherboard. I also settled on a video card, for now: choose between the HD 7970 or the GTX 670. The cards that I chose were overclocked versions, so they perform at (or above) the level of a stock GTX 680. But if you want the best performance regardless of cost, with the mini-ITX setup, you only have two options: either the GTX 690 (which is two GTX 680s on one card) or the recently released GTX Titan (the fastest single-GPU card in the market), each costing $1000.

Truth be told, however, the BitFenix Prodigy is pretty large for a mini-ITX case. Then again, it allows you to use large CPU coolers like the Hyper 212 Plus and carry more than just one optical drive and one (or two 2.5 inch) hard drive(s).

As for the monitor, I recommend the LG monitor I had in my earlier post. As for why I went with a monitor versus a cheaper HDTV, the monitor provides better quality graphics while gaming.
 
Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's only a one year warranty. As such, not worth buying over a DIY setup.
 
I almost forgot your earlier request...

And no, I currently have no blue-ray player so this would be my main source for watching blue ray videos as well.

... swap out the DVD burner for the following Blu-ray drive:

$55 - LG UH12NS29 BD-ROM combo drive (Retail packaging)

What does the final build look like?
 
Okay so after reviewing my old build this is what I had previously (found the documentation on it):

Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz -
EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores CLASSIFIED 1280 MB GDDR5
Rosewill Xtreme Series 850W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply RX850-S-B
G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800
Thermaltake CL-P0501 Copper Base Core i7 LGA1366 130W CPU Cooler Intel Approved
EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA1366/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX & 2-Way/3-Way SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98
Corsair Force Series GT Red 180GB (6Gb/s) SATA 3
27" Acer B273HU Widescreen LCD Monitor

Nothing was overclocked, was all factory. My gaming experience on it: Was really fast but only played BF2 / BF3 mostly and had some frame lag when I would be in a heavy area of gun fire or in a helicopter shooting the mini gun for example. Not much lag at all, very little.. but then again settings were only on Medium.

The new machine I want no lag what so ever and perform a lot faster/cleaner :) mwuhaha, want to throw any game at it for the next 3 years and play it on ultra settings no lag at all. (Meaning hardcore pvp sessions or 32 player maps with constant moving around with others with no lag - i need advantage) Do you still recommend the same setup as you did earlier? Sorry, couldn't find the specs on my earlier machine to compare anything to it. Only reason I ask is because i had i7 before..as you can tell..but if this new i5 is overclocked would it be faster/compare? Because I'm considering overclocking everything (even know I have no idea how or if its safe, or the advantage?) Anyways thanks for all your input you're being a great help! I'll be sure to send pics of the final build as well as specs before purchasing for your final input / enjoyment! :) This build will be complete by next week!

PS: Frame lag makes me rage quit :(
 
Last edited:
You misunderstood me: What is the final build that you're considering buying?

(Then again, now that I've seen your old build, you could reuse your case, RAM, and optical drive to save some money. The Corsair Force GT SSD could also be reused, but the Samsung 840 Pro is much better.)
 
No I know what you meant, I was considering buying just about everything you posted with a few minor adjustments (adding faster ram, and I believe another ssd) .. but I was just posting my previous build so that you can compare what you had stated previously to my previous build. Sorry for any confusion! Everything is currently gone, so I'm starting off new. :-( Just wanted to make sure the build I'm buying now is a lot quicker then my old one, and will play any game maxed out for the next few years fine, even in mass online pvp. (Internet connection won't be a problem as I have a pretty fast paid internet)

Also the Samsung SSD has 540MB/s and 450MB/s as opposed to the Geforce which has Read Speed: 555Mbps Write Speed: 525Mbps . Just wondering how the Samsung is better, wouldn't the Geforce be faster? Sorry I'm a newb to this :)
 
Last edited:
No I know what you meant, I was considering buying just about everything you posted with a few minor adjustments (adding faster ram, and I believe another ssd)
FYI, current Intel platforms don't benefit much from faster RAM speed when it comes to gaming. In other words, you could have DDR3 2400 RAM and that would still perform the same as DDR3 1600 RAM in games.
.. but I was just posting my previous build so that you can compare what you had stated previously to my previous build. Sorry for any confusion! Everything is currently gone, so I'm starting off new. :-( Just wanted to make sure the build I'm buying now is a lot quicker then my old one, and will play any game maxed out for the next few years fine, even in mass online pvp. (Internet connection won't be a problem as I have a pretty fast paid internet)
Honestly, if it was possible, you should have kept that older build for another 1-2 months, just upgrade it slightly, and/or overclocked it. Simply put, in terms of CPU power, you wouldn't have noticed that much of a performance difference between your current CPU (if it was overclocked) and the Core i5 3570K in games that would have justified that purchase price.

Basically, all you had to do to accomplish roughly 90% of your stated goal (" lot quicker then my old one") would have been just to upgrade the video card to something like the HD 7970 3GB or GTX 670 4GB, upgrade the SSD to the faster Samsung 840 Pro, and overclock your CPU. The game lag you saw was mainly due to that video card.

Now I mention keeping that older build for another 1-2 months because that's when Intel's newer and faster Haswell CPUs and related mobos will be out. Those will not be compatible with any Intel CPU or mobo out now and will be faster than current Intel CPUs by 5% to 25% depending on the rumor you read. You would probably notice enough of a difference between your older CPU and the newer Haswell CPUs to justify the upgrade costs. So since you would have had to replace the CPU and mobo anyway, you might as well should have waited to get the latest hardware.

Also the Samsung SSD has 540MB/s and 450MB/s as opposed to the Force GT which has Read Speed: 555Mbps Write Speed: 525Mbps . Just wondering how the Samsung is better, wouldn't the Force GT be faster? Sorry I'm a newb to this :)
FTFY

Read and write speeds aren't the sole indicator of SSD performance: The key (but not the only) indicator of SSD performance is the random read/write speeds. It's a piece of info that you can only get from reading actual properly done reviews. The Samsung 840 Pro has far far better random read/write speed than the Corsair Force GT (not GeForce BTW). In addition to a variety of other factors, that better random read/write speeds is what makes the Samsung 840 Pro far more responsive than the Force GT.
 
Great thanks for the advice, I didn't intentionally sell it... just hard times came up and I had to part ways with it. :-( Now about ram, is 32gb overkill? Or would you recommend it if I plan to run a server, develop mobile apps, use photoshop, play games, watch dvds, burn dvds, etc?

Thanks again!
 
Great thanks for the advice, I didn't intentionally sell it... just hard times came up and I had to part ways with it. :-( Now about ram, is 32gb overkill? Or would you recommend it if I plan to run a server, develop mobile apps, use photoshop, play games, watch dvds, burn dvds, etc?
For solely a gaming PC, yes 32GB of RAM is overkill. Not to mention not possible if you go the mITX route. I'd only recommend 32GB of RAM if you're doing an extensive amount of 3D, video, or audio editing/rendering, photoshop, and/or a ton of virtualization and coding.
 
Okay so this is what I have so far, feel free to let me know if you can provide any logical changes? The mobo I wanted to put a little more into to ensure the quality and what not but wasn't sure if the one I went with is the right choice.

UH12NS29 Internal 12x Blu-ray Combo
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OEM
Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler
Corsair HX Series HX750 750 Watt ATX 12V Modular
840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
LG 27'' Slim LED IPS Monitor (If you know of one a 100$ or 200$ more expensive that's a lot better quality for gaming, etc feel free to let me know!) Also maybe one with speakers built in if good quality- otherwise I need a recommendation for a speaker system that will be for gaming, and movies/music.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680+ with Backplate 4096MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Would the GTX 670 Superclocked be similar? Or this one a noticeable difference? I don't mind paying even more for 2 if need be.)
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherb
NZXT Phantom 630 Full Tower Computer Case - White ??? This a good one? Only limited options through Microcenter in Cambridge.
 
Last edited:
Wait until Haswell arrives, then consider your new motherboard and processor. If you can't wait that long, go with the Asus P8Z77-V instead of the Sabertooth. The P8Z77-V is just as good quality-wise as the Sabertooth. I don't see the need to spend any more there.

That said, I recommend going with the 512GB model of the Samsung 840 Pro. The performance is better than the 256GB model.

Again, you don't really need to buy new RAM for your system. Besides, you need to ensure that you buy low-profile RAM to ensure that the heatspreaders don't interfere with the placement of the CPU cooler. If you insist on getting the Corsair Vengeance RAM, get the LP version.

Ensure that you buy the retail version of the Blu-ray combo drive. The retail package includes software to view Blu-ray and DVD movies.

I don't think that you need any dual-card or dual-GPU setup. That said, I'm not in the mood to fight you over the video card. The GTX 680+ is better than the GTX 670 Superclocked, but most of the cards we'd normally recommend would be a significant step up from the GTX 560 Ti you're using.

I don't see any problems with the NZXT Phantom 630, but what are you going to do with all of that space?
 
Yeah, I would wait - but kind of eager to get my build asap. How's this case instead? Vengeance Series C70 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Gunmetal Black

Also..I think I'm going to stick with the 680 GTX (just for the heck of it :p), and maybe overclock it if I can figure that stuff out. If I plan to overclock the i5 processor, should I go with watercooling or is that heatsink fine?

Also any ideas for a monitor on Microcenter if I want to upgrade it a bit to the 300-400$ range but keeping the same 27inches? (Want good quality picture for gaming/blue ray movies/ maybe 3d?) Built in speakers would be good to so I don't have to spend money on speakers..unless you can recommend a decent pair that are under 150$.

Regards,
Jason
 
What do you want in a case? Anything that I recommend will have to meet your personal preferences. (On a side note, what's wrong with your current case?)

You can overclock the i5-3570K just fine with the Hyper 212 EVO. If anything, you may want to buy another fan for it -- it'll be much cheaper than most water-cooling CPU coolers.

Why do you want to upgrade the monitor? You told me earlier that you prefer to stick with a 1920x1080 resolution, even though you wanted to say at the 27" size. Anything else I recommend would just be a variant of the LG monitor I mentioned earlier.

As for speakers, that may be something you try out while you're at Micro Center. Your ears aren't the same as mine, and my taste in audio equipment may run counter to yours.
 
Yeah, I would wait - but kind of eager to get my build asap. How's this case instead? Vengeance Series C70 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Gunmetal Black

Also..I think I'm going to stick with the 680 GTX (just for the heck of it :p), and maybe overclock it if I can figure that stuff out. If I plan to overclock the i5 processor, should I go with watercooling or is that heatsink fine?

Also any ideas for a monitor on Microcenter if I want to upgrade it a bit to the 300-400$ range but keeping the same 27inches? (Want good quality picture for gaming/blue ray movies/ maybe 3d?) Built in speakers would be good to so I don't have to spend money on speakers..unless you can recommend a decent pair that are under 150$.

Regards,
Jason

I had the C70 case for a year now, and I love it. Really nice looking, very easy to open up an work in it, and the handles are great.

I put in a Corsair closed loop water cooler, and I like that a lot also. works well, and I like the cool factor of saying it is water cooled ;)

Last but not least, why wait? If haswell proves to be great, It would not be vey expensive to sell your CPU and upgrade.

EDIT: Definately go with tirades advice on the 512GB SSD.
 
What do you want in a case? Anything that I recommend will have to meet your personal preferences. (On a side note, what's wrong with your current case?)

You can overclock the i5-3570K just fine with the Hyper 212 EVO. If anything, you may want to buy another fan for it -- it'll be much cheaper than most water-cooling CPU coolers.

Why do you want to upgrade the monitor? You told me earlier that you prefer to stick with a 1920x1080 resolution, even though you wanted to say at the 27" size. Anything else I recommend would just be a variant of the LG monitor I mentioned earlier.

As for speakers, that may be something you try out while you're at Micro Center. Your ears aren't the same as mine, and my taste in audio equipment may run counter to yours.

Ok great, thanks a lot for your input I highly appreciate it! As for the case, I was going for looks, as well as airflow based on reviews I read as well as being able to open/close the side panel without much issues and having a little room to work on things. The next gentleman that responded I think pretty much sold me when he mentioned everything I was looking for exists in the case. (Plus I love the look!)

I was wanting to upgrade to have a better picture, figured the more money I put into it the better quality picture I could get / as well as refresh rate for gaming? Bare with me please I am such a noob at this LOL. I know you can get cheaper things sometimes that are better quality, but let's be real it's 2013 :)
 
I had the C70 case for a year now, and I love it. Really nice looking, very easy to open up an work in it, and the handles are great.

I put in a Corsair closed loop water cooler, and I like that a lot also. works well, and I like the cool factor of saying it is water cooled ;)

Last but not least, why wait? If haswell proves to be great, It would not be vey expensive to sell your CPU and upgrade.

EDIT: Definately go with tirades advice on the 512GB SSD.


Okay, now that I think about it 512GB may be a little too much for me? I mean I really will probably only use up 200GB max as I typically don't store that much or have many games I play. I play about 3 games total, and don't store movies or anything much. (If I did I figure an external or cheap internal would do for storage purposes). I probably could even go with the 128GB SSD? Or are you just recommending it because of faster speeds or something with higher GB?

Also I'm kind of a wuss to overclock and ruin everything, is there a place you recommend I can maybe bring my computer to and have someone overclock it like a mad man? :) Also does overclocking void any warranties? :( Maybe Microcenter offers building/or overclocking services?
 
Last edited:
Okay so here is my slightly updated build I think I'm almost set on (thanks to you guys of course!):

Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 (Didn't find the one you said on Microcenter cause Sold out at the Cambridge location :()
Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4ghz LGA 1155 Processor (Plan to Overclock it as much as possible? Not sure what the potential of it can reach with it being safe) Will it perform faster then the i7 I had previously (that was never over clocked or anything, once this ones oc'd? How much % faster would you say? Just not sure what an overclocked i5 compares to as far as a stock i7?)
LG Internal 12x Blue-ray Combo
LG 27" Slim LED IPS Monitor
Corsair HX Series HX750 Watt ATX 12V Modular PSU
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB (Don't need too much space, as I only play a select few games, etc)
Corsair Vengeance C70 Gaming Mid Tower Case (I love the look, and reviews and everything seem to be good on it as far as airflow, carrying it around, etc)
Asus Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155ATX Motherboard (Only choosing it over the other one because of the looks mainly - regardless of quality being similar or the same) :)
MSI N680 GTX 2GD5/OC NVIDIA Geforce GTX680 Twin (Thoughts on this model? Faster then the stock 680 or same speeds? Figured 2gb would be all I need for the monitor set-up I'm going with? Correct me if I'm wrong please!)
Razer Blackwidow 2013 Expert Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Total with my keyboard and monitor is: $ $2,183.31 after taxes! Not bad! Now if I planned to go two of those monitors, would you recommend 2x those graphics cards in SLI, or maybe just a 4gb version or titan/690? Also would you recommend a different monitor to minmized the black gap between the monitors? Also how many fans would I have to buy separate for this case if I wanted the airflow to be great?
 
Last edited:
Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 (Didn't find the one you said on Microcenter cause Sold out at the Cambridge location :()
Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Then try to find RAM that doesn't have tall heatsinks like the Vengeance RAM does and is also rated at 1.5V. Repeating what Tiraides said since apparently you didn't read it correctly: The problem with that Corsair Vengeance RAM is that its tall heatsinks will interfere with the placement of virtually every upright 120mm+ HSF out there, including that Coolermaster Hyper 212+. Thats why tiraides was recommending the Vengeance LP RAM since those don't have the tall heatsink.

In other words, if you have to get that Vengeance RAM, you will have to ditch that Coolermaster HSF and go with a more expensive and not as cost-effective liquid cooling solution like the Corsair Hydro H60, H80i, or H100i.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4ghz LGA 1155 Processor (Plan to Overclock it as much as possible? Not sure what the potential of it can reach with it being safe) Will it perform faster then the i7 I had previously (that was never over clocked or anything, once this ones oc'd? How much % faster would you say? Just not sure what an overclocked i5 compares to as far as a stock i7?)
An overclocked Core i5 3570K will outperform a stock Core i7 in games. Can't say for sure how much faster since it varies from game to game. Then again, you can also overclock the i7 as well.
MSI N680 GTX 2GD5/OC NVIDIA Geforce GTX680 Twin (Thoughts on this model? Faster then the stock 680 or same speeds? Figured 2gb would be all I need for the monitor set-up I'm going with? Correct me if I'm wrong please!)
Considering your long-term goal and the fact that games and Windows itself is using more and more VRAM, you really should be looking at the HD 7970 3GB, GTX 670 4GB, or GTX 680 4GB. Go for two of any of the three cards that I recommend if you can afford it

Also how many fans would I have to buy separate for this case if I wanted the airflow to be great?
Maybe another fan on the side if you go for SLI or Crossfire. Besides that, three fans is technically enough as long as you put the fans in the right place: One top exhaust, one rear exhaust, and one side intake.
 
Oh alright, sorry I didn't get exactly what he meant! I think I'll just replace the HSF with the H60. Also thanks for the final advice - think I'm pretty much set on the build plus the last modifications!
 
Supposedly Nvidia is releasing their GTX 7XX line this month.. and Intel 4th gen 4XXX next month, 4th June I believe.

But if you can't wait, I'd do SLI 670 4GB over 680, I think the difference between 670 and 680 is like 5% or even less but the 680 costs $100+ more usually.

Also you might want to consider Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB if the difference in price isn't that much... and keep in mind that there are different versions of Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB, one with 2x8GB which is C10 and another with 4x4GB which is C9
For Core i5 3570K you'd want dual channel.
 
Supposedly Nvidia is releasing their GTX 7XX line this month.. and Intel 4th gen 4XXX next month, 4th June I believe.

The only thing set in stone is the release date for Intels new lineup.

But if you can't wait, I'd do SLI 670 4GB over 680, I think the difference between 670 and 680 is like 5% or even less but the 680 costs $100+ more usually.

For a single 1080P display, negative ghost rider. Single GPU >>>> Multi GPU setups

Also you might want to consider Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB if the difference in price isn't that much... and keep in mind that there are different versions of Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB, one with 2x8GB which is C10 and another with 4x4GB which is C9
For Core i5 3570K you'd want dual channel.

Faster RAM Speed, Tigher RAM timings and whether the RAM is running in dual channel or single channel has very, very little real world advantages in gaming. So unless by "difference in price isn't that much" is only a couple dollars, it's not worth it.

OP needs to stick with what was recommended in the first place.
 
Wow... you're all over the place!

Rather than harass everyone with multiple quotes from multiple posts, let me just offer my two cents' worth:

- I'm not recommending a different monitor at this point in time. You told me that you wanted a 27-inch monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution. It's not worth reinventing the wheel here.

And I'm strongly against you buying a second monitor for gaming. As a first-time builder, setting up a dual-card SLI or CrossFire system just to run on two monitors (as one combined unit) may be more work than you're willing to invest. Start "small" in this case (one monitor and one video card) and progress from there.

- I still stand by my recommendation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO over the Corsair H60i. Since you can't find the Corsair Vengeance LP RAM in-store, go with the Crucial Ballistix Sport instead. But if that's not available, go online and buy your RAM.

- If you have 200GB worth of data that you plan on filling only one drive with, then I stand by my earlier recommendation for the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD. It performs better than the 256GB model, regardless of whether you store 20GB or 200GB onto it. (It actually performs much better with 200GB, as SSDs, like HDDs, slow down performance-wise the closer they get to full capacity. With the 512GB SSD -- roughly 476GB formatted -- it's running at roughly 42% capacity whereas the 256GB model -- roughly 233 GB formatted -- runs at roughly 86% capacity.)

Regardless of the SSD capacity, you don't have to put 200GB of data all on one drive. That's part of the reason why I picked up a separate HDD for storage: you can put all of your primary games on the SSD and everything else on the HDD.

- With new video cards expected to arrive soon, I recommend sticking with either the 3GB HD 7970 or the 4GB GTX 670. By the time you're through playing all of your favorite games, you'll know whether or not you should "upgrade" to the new Nvidia cards.

- I have no problems with the Corsair Vengeance C70 case.
 
Back
Top