Building New Computer

KSL

Weaksauce
I have been out of this computer building scene for a while now. I was wondering if anyone could help and see if this configuration would work for a desktop computer. I am planning to use the following parts:

1) Mobo: Asus P5K-E
2) Mem: 2Gigs DDR2 5300 667mhz (have some of those lying around)
3) Proc: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2.0 GHz

I don't plan to overclock or do any intense gaming on it. Or should I invest on a faster processor? I hear that this processor is the most bang for buck right now. Would this setup be sufficient and functional for normal day use?

Thanks for any suggestions,
KSL

Do you plan on doing any gaming? You say no "intense" gaming..but it sounds like you want to game a little. I mean this would be fine for daily use/internet, but if your going with all fairly cheap components you may want to consider one of Dell's Vostro deals if you do not want to build it yourself..they are insanely cheap when on special.

It would be helpful to know what you are interested in for video card, hard drives, etc.

If you're willing to spend a bit more you could go with one of the new 45nm processors. E7200, E8200, or E8400.

They are probably a little overkill if you don't plan to do anything processor-intensive, but at least you'll know your computer will be blazing fast for the next few years. :)

For everyday use, you might be better off going with a dell when they have having deals as they can be very cheap, unless you are like me and you like to know and choose exactly what components are in your machine.

I have been out of this computer building scene for a while now. I was wondering if anyone could help and see if this configuration would work for a desktop computer. I am planning to use the following parts:

1) Mobo: Asus P5K-E
2) Mem: 2Gigs DDR2 5300 667mhz (have some of those lying around)
3) Proc: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2.0 GHz

I don't plan to overclock or do any intense gaming on it. Or should I invest on a faster processor? I hear that this processor is the most bang for buck right now. Would this setup be sufficient and functional for normal day use?

Thanks for any suggestions,
KSL

That would make a fine general use computer. It would be a shame not to at least toss on an Arctic Freezer 7 pro heatsink ($30) and run the machine at a memory mulitplier of 1:1 at 333 FSB to put your memory running exactly on spec and with an cpu multiplier of 8 the cpu would run at 2.664GHz with perhaps only a slight increase in Vcore needed. If done with any care, meaning any decent case with good cooling/airflow, it would be as stable and reliable as stock with an almost free 30% increase in performance. Sorry I just could not resist, there is so much "free" performance locked into these chips at stock, it must be unleashed !!! :D

Anyway get a decent power supply Corsair VX450 or if you go with say an 8800GT video card or one of the top end ATIs maybe an 550VX (a bit overkill but you are covered for future upgrades) and you end up with a superb all round machine that could play any game out there at reasonable (1650x1200) resolutions and for email and web surfing etc. it would just "pop" in responsiveness. oh any decent 7200 RPM SATA 3 GB/s drive would do.

Back