Building new computer running into a few problems

Austin8868

Gawd
I'm building a cheap backup pc. I got everything together today but when i turn it on it tells me this

1. insert windows installation disk and restart
2. choose language and click next
3. click repair computer

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

I have tried 2 keyboard and neither of them will work. I have also tried 2 disk drives. The disk will spin but nothing happens. I have tried installing the mb drivers and windows from my retail disk but nothing happens.

I think if i could get my keyboard working i might be able to get some where because there is an option to continue if i clock enter.

Mb is an asrock 1333-d667 and cpu is a core2duo.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Can you see a list of drives during POST? Is the boot hard drive on that list? If no to either of those questions, check SATA cable & connections at drive and mobo. And get a working keyboard.

Is this a fresh installation/install attempt?

It was a data hdd i used on my main pc. I just put pictures and things on it. Before that it was my boot drive. Always worked fine. It does show a list of drives but it passes too quick and i cant read it. Ill try to take a picture and see if i can

Reset CMOS?

What are the full specs of the PC?

asrock 1333-d667

core2duo e4300

Antec phantom 500w

Corsair 4gb ddr2

no gpu right now

I just reset the cmos, only thing that changed it that one of my case fans sounds like a jet engine now

Last edited:
How far into the build are you? Just assembled and hit power? Or did you install Windows on it already?

I just got it assembled today no windows or anything. I took out the hdd and reformatted it. Is there anything special i have to do since i'm using it as a boot disk?

Last edited:
Ah, sounds like it is trying to boot off of your old Windows installation on that hard drive from another computer with possibly AHCI/IDE confusion...

You'll need to get a working keyboard so you can get into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS settings:
1. Change first boot device to the CD ROM drive
2. Set IDE configuration to AHCI (not necessary but no reason not to).
3. Boot from Windows CD and follow prompts to install

How do i get a working keyboard? I have tried both a microsoft keyboard and my main logitech one. Lights and what not turned on but it would not input anything

Actually, if your keyboard is working, you can just hit whatever button (can't see in the video due to the glare), to enter 'boot settings' and select the DVD drive and go from there.

Once you're in the Windows install, don't go to repair, you want to go to "install windows now" or similar option.

HA! so i went up in the attic and dug through some junk boxes until i found my old dell keyboard. Its probably 10+ years old. It uses some kind of purple connector and not usb. I plugged it in and it worked! Ill enter into the bios and follow those steps and let you know how it goes.

Everything is working great now. not sure why the usb ports were not working but luckily i had that old keyboard. thanks for your help man!

You really don't know what the purple connector is? :shaking head" PS2 And no that doesn't mean Playstation.

Back