• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building my first SFF - need suggestions

Pez

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
1,867
My parents lost their computer during a pretty bad electrical storm, so I decided to build them a new one. The computer needs to do two things - browse the internet (and play those web games) and burn dvds. That's it. No "real" gaming. No media editing. Noise isn't even an issue, I just need something that's reliable and can get the job done.

Case: Micro Fly SX6 Silver Micro-ATX Case ($101)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ ($66)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 AMD 740G mATX ($60)
RAM: OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop ($20 after mail in rebate)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ($48)
DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM ($25)
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 - Retail ($192)
Shipping ($13)

Total: $512

I don't have a problem spending this much, but can you guys help me trim it down? I don't think a DVD burner with the ability to play Word Womp should cost that much.
I know there are some sellers on Ebay who sell new copies of Windows for $100 (give or take). Is that a smart option? Would a Shuttle bundle be better?

Thanks for your help!
 
Back
Top