Building my first cpu

e_thorpe88

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly music movies internet and some games
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $1000
3) Where do you live?
nevada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
I have the case so just all the internals.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not sure but would like the option
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
About a 22" moniter still shopping for that but not including it right now in the build
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Already started by buying the coolermaster scout case
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
N/A
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
No plan on using windows 7 pro

This is an idea of my planed parts to buy please let me know if there is somthing i should use instead of listed items.

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103674

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
Went with this fan mostly because i like the way it looks and trying to keep with a black and red theme

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ700FTY 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Again keeping with the black and red theme not sure if 700watts is enough but i think it is

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Kingston SSDNow V-Series SNV125-S2BN/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) Notebook bundled accessory ... - Retail
This will be mainly for OS and highly used Apps

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.B HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail
This one will be a back up to house my 100gigs of music and other media

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM
Went with this drive because i heard the samsung drive doesnt make a lot of noise

Well thats my potetial set up and i am looking for any feedback that would help before i drop the cash on it. later i may upgrade to a blu-ray drive but its not a huge issue at the moment.

That setup is just.....bad. Rather than critique each and every part, just gonna list a new build altogether:
$330 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo
$93 - G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$180 - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$80 - Same Hitachi 1TB drive you chose
$32 - Samsung SH-S223L SATA DVD Burner
$100 - Antec Truepower New TP-650 650W PSU
----
Total: $815 plus tax and shipping. Still leaves you enough money for a SSD and a 3rd party HSF

Pro of the above build over your planned setup:
- Faster CPU
- Significantly better quality PSU

Cons:
- No SSD or HSF yet
- No black and red theme.

I was initially going to go AMD on my most recent build (budget similar to yours), but after doing quite a lot of checking around, I ended up following the i5 750 route.

I haven't yet OC'ed my i5 yet (I haven't needed to), but it's nice to know that I can bump it up to 3.2 GHz w/o a voltage increase. Folks are apparently kicking it up to 3.6 on good air cooling w/o problems. How's that?:D

i heard that the amd has more potential for overclocking in turn making it faster.

Clock for clock, Intel is faster, and Intel also has more potential for OC'ing. Your info is a bit outdated. Phenom2 performs on par with Core2, and AMD has nothing to compete with Core i5/i7.

Though, none of the things you listed under the first question are CPU intensive at all. What is the most intensive thing you do with your system? Do you multi-task a lot?

can u recomend a good mother board for that build then

Danny's build? He has a mobo listed, its bundled with the CPU for some cost savings.

Back