Building Dilemma

Ke0

Weaksauce
Helping my neighbor is build a rig, though I know what would be best for him overall if he had the funds

His current rig is

AMD64 4200+ (939 socket)
1GB Crucial Ballistix
ATI 1900XT

He has a meager budget of 490, so here's his options

buy 2GB of ram coupled with the 8800GT

ooor

Keep the X1900XT, but grab a Intel C2D E6550, 2GB of Geil, and DFI Blood Iron.

I personally told him to go for B, since he's future proofing his rig.

Or if someone has a better idea, shoot

First of all, there is no such thing as future proofing. You can never be future proof with a PC.

Second, the E6550 wouldn't be that much of an upgrade for him since the Athlon X2 4200+ that your friend has is still a pretty good CPU. I say he'll get better performance in video games if he just upgrades to the 8800GT and another stick of 1GB DDR RAM.

Third, another option would be for him to wait a little longer and save up some more money so he do a proper and full upgrade.

Also, what PSU does he have?

I believe in future proofing, it's there to an extent. For instance when the 754 and 939 socket launched, it was pretty much understood to go for the 939 as it would be supported for a lot longer than the 754 was, to me that's future proofing, my belief anyway, as for his PSU, he has my old Cooler Master Power RPP-650

I believe in future proofing, it's there to an extent. For instance when the 754 and 939 socket launched, it was pretty much understood to go for the 939 as it would be supported for a lot longer than the 754 was, to me that's future proofing, my belief anyway, as for his PSU, he has my old Cooler Master Power RPP-650

The funny thing is, s939 reached EOL before s754, lol. Hence... there's no such thing as future proofing.

Its kinda like job security... there's no such thing. ;)

I agree, he'd be best served by waiting until he actually needs a new rig. His current specs look good still. For what tasks does his system seem slow/inadequate?

he wants Hellgate London, Crysis (I laughed) The Witcher, and on the side some photoshop and After Effects work

Well, with those uses, I really don't think a C2D system would benefit him any more than a RAM and video card upgrade.

Back