• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building CNet's speaker system for under $70

Chippo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
213
I was looking into building my own 2 speaker system and I came across this post by CNET and I was wondering if it's worth building that (and perhaps adding a DAC later on) or just buying a premade 2.1 speaker system? I might replace the Daytons with these, since they're on sale currently and cheaper.
 
Dude could at least give us some credit. We practically came up with that combo starting with the t-amp.

Anyway, yeah, the Pioneers and the lepai are a very good combo. Best bang for the buck and all that. Don't expect it to get super loud and booming though. It will sound nice and clear. Plenty loud for a desktop stereo too.
 
Dude could at least give us some credit. We practically came up with that combo starting with the t-amp.

Anyway, yeah, the Pioneers and the lepai are a very good combo. Best bang for the buck and all that. Don't expect it to get super loud and booming though. It will sound nice and clear. Plenty loud for a desktop stereo too.

Oh, I knew it was too good to be created by CNET.
If I were to get that, would it be better than buying a set already made? And if I wanted to "upgrade", I could just buy a better amp right?
 
Here is the basic combo: the above combo or the daytons + cheapest decent sub available by polk, yamaha, partsexpress. There are several around $80.

The cheapest improvement over onboard would probably be the Behringer UCA202. A usb dac at $29.00. Or an asus DSX soundcard.
 
Or if you have a optical or digital coax i recommend the Fiio D3. Good little dac.
 
Gutenberg has some curious opinions and recommendations at times, the Dayton combo's nice tho... I'd go for the larger BS41 Pioneers if you're gonna substitute the Daytons, the smaller ones might be a sidegrade or even a downgrade in some senses. The larger ones aren't any cheaper than the Dayton but still an excellent value at $80 or even $100.
 
Back
Top