Building an ITX machine for my desk

gjs278

Gawd
I am looking to build a small ITX computer. This seems to be the place. It will sit there and do things.

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Overclocking, Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc.
Server only, similar to a NAS but it will only be holding about 64gb of data. It will run linux and sit there to serve me. It will not require heavy processing power, but I would prefer to stick with intel.

2. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
$500

3. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
I'd prefer to shop online.

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Intel CPU (want the aes-ni feature, which is minimum i5, I can settle for less), RAM (16gb, yes I need it), ITX case, power supply, ITX motherboard, cpu cooler

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.
I have the ssd I need for this, I just need to fit one of them.

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.
I need a case and a board that will have no problem with ONE low profile pci-e card. This is required. I will also need gigabit. Intel sata 6gb/s ports would be nice.

7. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
Won't need a monitor.

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc.
I'd prefer that it is as small as possible, it needs to sit on top of my current ATX case.

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring?
Not very.

10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care
Don't care.

11. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
It won't move, but I prefer that it isn't too heavy.

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards
Linux

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?
In a couple of weeks so I can get the best discounts and promo codes

How big is that low profile card? Can the low profile bracket be swapped out for a full-size bracket? Does the pcie card require an x16 slot? (If it's a Ceton, then it only needs x1)

If so:
Case/PSU: Mini-Box M300 (3.5L case). Configured with the 80W Pico PSU and the 5A 12v brick, it's $100 + shipping. Also make sure you get the P4 mini to P4 cable ($1.25), the PCI Riser card ($6.95), and the HDD mounting bracket ($1.25).
Motherboard/CPU: AS Rock H77M-ITX and Intel i5-3450S combo - $288 + shipping
RAM: Mushkin Essentials 2x8GB kit - $80 shipped
CPU Cooler: Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus - $27 + shipping

Total: $505 + shipping. Shipping might put you a bit over, but you can also hold off on the cpu cooler until you get a bit more money (the stock intel one will work). Alternately, you could also go bargain basement on the case / psu for $56 + shipping.

How big is that low profile card? Can the low profile bracket be swapped out for a full-size bracket? Does the pcie card require an x16 slot? (If it's a Ceton, then it only needs x1)

it can be a full size bracket as well. it's originally small enough to fit in a 1u case, but they provide brackets of any size so I should be good. it requires x8 to run, so yes it will need a x16 slot.

what type of pci-e riser card will I need for that m300?

Last edited:
Probably one like this ebay auction has: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-PCI-Express-16X-Riser-Card-Flexible-Ribbon-Extender-Extension-Cable-Cord-/271025280988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1a5d97dc

I just searched for PCI-Express PCI-E 16X Riser and found tons. I'd look for the shortest one you can use as there have been suggestions that the length of cable would slow data transfer speeds down minimally - might not be that important to you given the responsibilities of your graphics card/pci-e card.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The appropriate riser should be in the case extras at the bottom of that page (I'm on my phone so hard to check)

I do have a ribbon, I think I'll try that first and see if I need anything different

Here's another option to check out:
$180 - Intel Core i5 2310 CPU
$120 - Intel BOXDH67CFB3 Intel H67 mITX Motherboard
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-16GBNT 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$45 - Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK mITX Case
$49 - Seasonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX PSU
---
Total: $474 shipped

Here's another option to check out:
$180 - Intel Core i5 2310 CPU
$120 - Intel BOXDH67CFB3 Intel H67 mITX Motherboard
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-16GBNT 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$45 - Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK mITX Case
$49 - Seasonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX PSU
---
Total: $474 shipped
definitely good options to keep in mind. I think I might go ivy for the 65w cpu above, but that case is definitely interesting.

definitely good options to keep in mind. I think I might go ivy for the 65w cpu above, but that case is definitely interesting.

Despite the "65W" rating, in reality, the idle power usage for the SB and IB CPUs are virtually the same. At load yes there's a difference but even that difference is only a 10W difference at most.

What type of gaming to you plan on playing? Video intensive programs need more processing power. I would go for a i5 or i7 and not an i3. That budget won't cut it if you do plan to really do video intensive processing. If you don't plan to move the case around, then I would suggest getting a bitfenix prodigy. However, if you do plan on moving the case around for lan parties, I would go for a Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced. I have it and it is probably the best case I have ever bought.

Back