• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building a quiet PC

xyber

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
156
I'm going to build a new gaming PC, but I want it not to make so much noise. Any suggestions?
 
Go to quietpc.com and read their articles.
http://www.quietpcusa.com/articles/how_to_silence_a_computer.html

or

water cool it. Does not have to be super expensive parts.

Black Ice extream rad $45
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=2&cat=5&page=1
Some water block for CPU $60
.Pump $50
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=279&cat=4&page=1
2 yate loon medium speed 120 mm fans $??
Fan mate fan controller $4
fill port $12
tubing $5 (7/16 ID masterkleer - heat to slip over 1/2 fittings)
fittings $10 (Tee for fill port, hose clamps etc.)
distilled water (1 gal) $1


About $200 and properly fitted to a decent case can last for years and years as you upgrade, at most you might need a new block one day. High performace and quiet.

Drop down into the WC sub-forum if you are interested. However be warned, many down there have more money than sense and are not happy unless running at near ambient temps with a bunch of rads etc. You dont need all that (unless you want to) The above will run any cpu (and you could easily add a block for a singlr video card, see my sig) at temps equal or better than any air cooling and be almost completely silent because you could turn the fans down very very low. On my system the power supply fan is all I hear. What I used (TT bigwater 745 is the only kit I would consider, it runs about $160 and you get a lot for the money but the block is not all the great, good but not great) is a decent option (Coursair Nautilus is ok too) .

If you are clever and not a big freak on how it looks you dont have to chop up/mod a lot of stuff. hand drill and a 3/4 inch hole saw will do the trick.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/id3.html
 
Aftermarket heatsinks, quiet fans, a case with good ventilation.
 
Good advice from BillParrish and RoBo.

I suggest this sites' articles and forums also:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Building a quiet PC is something you have to invest time in to find out what makes a PC noisy in the firstplace and how to address all those sources.

You can't really be told buy x,y and z, then the jobs a good 'un.

The quieter your PC becomes it really does fall under the law of diminishing returns to reduce the noise further.
 
Just wondering.......

With the stock fans, are these considered loud? If so, what would be a quick and easy silent replacement:

evga 8800 GTS 640MB
AMD X2 6000+
 
Aftermarket heatsinks, quiet fans, a case with good ventilation.

ROBO IS RIGHT ON HERE, good case with good ventilation is step one, coolermaster stacker 830 is great for this, thermalright heatsinks, panasonic panaflo/nmb fans and scythe s flex fans........these models have hydrowave bearings, the sflex has something similar to this, these fans do not whine high pitched ( never use sleeve bearing fans).

use 120mm fans, good cfm and high quality as mentioned above. Watercooling is over rated in my opinion, have yet to see one that doesnt leak or require refills.

I use the equipment above, is my rig silent? no, but the noise is not bothersome at all.

IF you want ultra quiet, use a lower powered processor and video card, gaming rig? use good quality cases and fans you are not going to hear them or be bothered by them and they certainly wont be louder than your gaming. ( pictures all these obsessive compulsive people fretting over their computer making a bit of noise.........meanwhile gaming with the sound cranked up to max...........same people who play their car stereos so loud you can hear them a mile away lol)
 
I just built a new pc 2 weeks ago so I can give you some tips ^^
Im running:
Core Duo E6550 cooled by a Thermalright ultra extreme using Scythe S-Flex fan (1600rpm version)
with 4GB ram
1 Raptor 150
2x 500GB caviars (all three hardrives mounted in lower HDD cage)
an 8800 Ultra
on a Corsair HX620
all stuck in a Antec P182
what I did was replace every fan of the stock case with the S-Flexs (800rpm) and added one to the front of the upper HDD cage
So far im amazed
its completely quite when I first booted it and was worried something was wrong as I didn't hear anything. The only noticeable sound is when the Raptor seeks you can hear the seek sound a little.
My idle temps are about 18C° and load it doesn't go over 35C°
Unfortunately I have been busy with classes so I havn't gotten a chance to overclock the cpu yet.

If you can fit your system in a P182 I really recommend it to you. And as a side effect you can route your cables so nicely that they wont block any airflow.
 
Back
Top