Building a new rig. Which PSU? Thoughts?

cracknub

Weaksauce
Like I said, a new rig is in the works and here is what I got so far:

CASE: Thermaltake Element V Black Edition VL200K1W2Z (If I can find one lol!)
PSU: Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0308RU 750W (Item in question.)
MB: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
CPU: AMD 1090T BE (Hopefully it'll be about $300)
CPU-FAN: Thermaltake Frio
GFX CARD: ASUS EAH5870 V2 1GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (Until WD SSDs come down in price)
MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident 8GB DDR3 2000 [4x2GB] or Ripjaw Series 8GB DDR3 1600 [2x4GB]

NOTES:
-I'm a fan of Thermaltake products. So I'm limiting myself to that vendor only when it comes to the PSU.
-For the time being I will only be playing on a single LG W2753V-PF 27" @ 1920x1080 (until I buy two more at the end of the year). So no Eyefinity for now. When I do, I'll be waiting for the 6xxx series to come out.
-I pretty much only play BFBC2.
-Gonna pretty much start buying this stuff at the end of May so I can leave time for some of the products to be actually released.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
While I don't know much about the thermaltake powersupplies. It does seem alright, it is 80-plus certified.

Well you can't go wrong with thermaltake toughpower series.. i have the 1200W one and it is top notch.. of course u can get the 750w version if u don't need that much power

Hmm it looks like another CWT built Thermaltake PSU judging from the newegg pictures. Looks like a CWT PSH design. However just because it's CWT made doesn't make a good PSU sadly despite the track record of Thermaltake's other CWT built PSUs.

Even if it was a good CWT built PSU, there are better or similar quality PSUs for that price range. Examples would be the $115 Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W Modular PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153104

Going to agree with my two friends above. :)

Not only do you get 80+ but the cable management feature also.

Going to agree with my two friends above. :)

Not only do you get 80+ but the cable management feature also.

Sorry , no disrespect, but elaborate on the cable management part. Isn't it modular? DYI isn't a problem for me.

Also, how does this 80+ feature benefit me?
I'm questioning this because this is where I get lost.

I chose this PSU for this reason: Aesthetics. I liked the red lights and thought 750W should be enough.

How so will the "Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W" be better than the " Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0308RU 750W"?

Throw me some threads/links.

Last edited:
Also, how does this 80+ feature benefit me?
I'm questioning this because this is where I get lost.
For each watt the PSU outputs, it must consume additional power from the wall in order to perform the conversion from AC to DC and from 120V RMS to the different voltages the PSU outputs. The percentage of power the PSU outputs with respect to the amount it draws from the wall is the efficiency. The more efficient a PSU, the less extra power it draws, which means that it both produces less heat and reduces your power bill.

80Plus is a certification system with different levels. Each level has minimum efficiency requirements, so an 80Plus Bronze PSU for example must be at least 82% efficient at 20% and 100% load and 85% efficient at 50% load. The better the 80Plus rank, the more efficient a PSU is.
I chose this PSU for this reason: Aesthetics. I liked the red lights and thought 750W should be enough.

How so will the "Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W" be better than the " Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0308RU 750W"?

Throw me some threads/links.
Here is a review of the 750W Toughpower XT: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=171

The EVO Blue is based on an older version of the same design, with worse performance and poorer efficiency. It's probably decent, but it's unproven as well. The Toughpower XT is a very good PSU and will do the job better.

What Zero82z said. The Evo Blue is not proven whereas the XT is.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Man... You fucking rock Zero82z. Thanks for the in depth explanation. It was greatly appreciated.

Back