Building a new pc.

Jennifer

n00b
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)
Abit AN8 Fatal1ty nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X850 XT ICEQII TURBO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6B300SO SATA 16MB Cache
AOpen DUW1608 Chameleon 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter inc. Ivory/Black/Silver
Jeantech APOLLO JN8005 Mini Tower Case
Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU - Black Nickel with Blue LED Fan
D-Link DI-604 Broadband Router with built-in 4-Port Switch & Firewall
Razer Diamondback Plasma 1600dpi Gaming Mouse Limited Edition
Saitek PZ08AU Gamers' Keyboard
Akasa AK-913 EVO 33 Direct HeatPipe Copper with Fan Controller
SpeedLink Medusa SL-8790 5.1 Surround Headset
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200PT TwinX (2x1GB)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 THX Sound Card

I'm a gamer so would this set up be any good. Anything I should change?

Well that certainly is a no-compromise PC. I prefer the MSI mobo, and the DFI also seems to have a certain following.

Send benchmarks and pics when you're done!

You could save yourself $60 by getting a DFI Ultra-D or MSI Neo4 instead of that Fatal1ty board. Some people have been having issues with those Maxtor HDD's and the NF4 SATA controller. I have the Neo4 SLI and one of those HDD's and they work fine, so I don't know. I'd probably get a wireless router instead. They cost about the same, and you can always turn off the wireless if you're not using it. Plus, if you need it for something, you have it :). Case/Keyboard/Mouse is all personal preference. You should have a nice PC when you're all done.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

So keep those drives and get that mother board?

Thanks for the help btw.

Wireless eh? Is that any good for transfering large amounts of data about?

The network will have two pc's and a xbox on it

The MSI board is awesome and i highly recommend it.

A wireless router is also a good, especially if you get a notebook in the future. I wouldnt use Wireless for your PC connectivity (wired is faster), unless it is far from the router. Same with the Xbox. Since you are a gamer, id look at the D-Link Gaming Router. It has a 4-port gigabit switch and 108mbps wireless g connection (normal is 54mbps). Its about $150 US.

The rest is all good. :)

Actually, just reading a review of the DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR it looks very nice indeed.
Although is it worth getting seeing as I'm not an overclocker?
I'll keep an eye out for that router. I'm wanting to get all the parts from the same website (I should ask for a discount :D) so I don't have to wait in for more than one courier.

Okay this seems to be the final build of the pc. Plus theres other things there that beef up my current pc.
My hubby's gonna be slightly annoyed. But he's in Kuwait so I won't tell him. :D

One thing I've noticed on the mobo is that the chipset fan seems to be quite close to the PCIe slot. Will that prevent the graphics card from fitting?
newpc3.jpg

Phew that was worrying me a bit. I remember a few years back building a PC. I couldn't get the graphics card in as the CPU was in the way.

Soundz like that will be a bad ass rig. I wish i had the money to build a Behemoth like that.

I was lucky on a property sale.

It's been ages since I last upgraded. I've got a xp2000 with a 9600 EZ 256Mb.

Playing CSS is a chore to say the least.

Wow. Killer rig. You're in England no? 2,300 pounds is about 4 grand in US dollars if not more. So you're getting the Diamondback uh? Ill look into that as well as the Medusas. Thanks Jen.

Yeah it's getting expensive. I totally forgot about a monitor. Pointless having 2 pc's and only one monitor. Thats the limited edition mouse. It's blue and ho so sexy.

I've been waiting over a year for this. The cash from the sale took that long to come through.
So I've been doing my homework. Then all of a sudden all these new CPU's came out. Venice, San Diego and Newcastle. I want a processor not a world tour.
:D

Back