Building a new PC Need advice.

Ah, Okay. I got the MSI Update tool thing, and it's trying to update everything, including my BIOS, I have heard flashing a BIOS is very risky.. would the software negate that risk?

Yes and no.

A bad BIOS flash has the potential to brick your system, but the majority of the Windows-based updaters make things much easier than they were years ago.

BIOS updates also fix older bugs and allow you to use newer processors (and, in some cases, faster RAM speeds). As long as you don't deviate from the instructions, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I will see how the rig runs without the bios Update, and if any weird issues crop up, I will flash, especially since I don't overclock at all lol. Should you Defrag a SSD I've heard that is wrong to do, but why and is there a program that can do it right?

All right, I think this will be the last thing I ask. I used some fans from my old case, to help keep the new case a bit cooler. One of the fans, had a tendency to rattle something freaking fierce, and I want it to stop, is there anything I can do to get it to stop rattling, or do I have to just replace the damn thing?

All right, I think this will be the last thing I ask. I used some fans from my old case, to help keep the new case a bit cooler. One of the fans, had a tendency to rattle something freaking fierce, and I want it to stop, is there anything I can do to get it to stop rattling, or do I have to just replace the damn thing?

Tape. Also sometimes the sound is other stuff in the case rattling because of the fan. My brother has a rather old, very large case and we probably cut the noise it makes down by half by taping it up in areas where it was rattling.

To be honest, I think getting new fans is the best--you already have a shiny new build so just get some shiny new fans, but cleaning the fans and taping down anything which looks like it could rattle will certainly help a lot.

Well, anyone want to recommend a set of fans, once I get a bit of disposable income I'll grab it. IDC if they are LED or not, but if they are I prefer blue >>; Since I no longer have the Liquid block, more airflow is best no?

Well, anyone want to recommend a set of fans, once I get a bit of disposable income I'll grab it. IDC if they are LED or not, but if they are I prefer blue >>; Since I no longer have the Liquid block, more airflow is best no?

Yes, to a point. All you need are two intake fans for the front (or one 180mm fan, if that's where it's mounted), one rear exhaust fan, and one top exhaust fan.

Do you still have the Corsair H80i? If so, mount it in the rear.

(Which case do you have? Be specific as Silverstone makes multiple cases.)

Silverstone Raven 3, and No, the H80i ended up being a dud, but I have a new kind of predicement, so for some strange reason (I say strange cause I have double and quadruple checked wiring) I tap the button to boot my pc, and it flickers, I hold the button down, and it gives a quick flicker, before firing up, I SUSPECT it to be the wiring on the front panels power button, since I have double and quadruple checked all wires making sure they are all in the right spots on the motherboard, and once the PC is actually booted, it runs perfectly fine, I have tested it with Furmark, and Intel burn tool (Wicked program btw) What can I do to see if it is in fact the case power button, and if I cannot test it, can this pre-boot flicker, do damage?

Just bypass the button. All you need to do is cross the pins on the motherboard with a metal object like a screw driver. Most motherboards will have a label next to the two pins for power, just touch both pins at the same time with the tip of a screw driver.

I usually just take a Philips screw driver and start on one end of the pins and just slide it across them until the system powers on. lol

Well if you really want to rule out a short, take apart your PC, leave the motherboard on the mobo box, and start it up with the way that Skillz said.

I did try raking the pins, and it's a no go Still does the same thing.

Not really.

So wait, the PC exhibits the EXACT same issue when you jump start it with a screw-driver?

Now the reason why I said take apart the PC and leave the motherboard on the mobo box is because sometimes the case itself may be shorting the case on occasion.

Yeah, it seemed to, it might have been cause I didn't do it right, but I am pretty sure it was the same thing.

Also, for some reason, the past 2 days, for reasons I can't freaking explain, it's booting as normal. No issues. My stepfather is coming to see it before the end of the month, and help me out with it, but this is befuddling me.

Back