Building a new gaming rig.

Duane23

n00b
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
8
Ok at the moment I'm pricing everything Ive found that I need to upgrade to my new build.
I already have a case a PSU and a Viedocard that Im using atm due to a small upgrade last year.
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1

So far here's everything I'm looking to upgrade to.
The CPU RAM and CPU cooler I'm going to buy.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Scythe SCNJ-3100 120mm Ninja 3 Rev. B CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

Now one thing I've noticed about all of these Mobo's is on the RAM I need there's two numbers off on the Memory Model #. I've never ran into this issue before so can that cause an issue yes or no? And seeing as its been awhile since I last did a BIG upgrade more or less which of the mobos would be best with the CPU RAM and cooler for gaming. My spending Limit is around $850 to 1k.

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...AC-MaximumPC-_-BOTB-_-NA-_-NA&nm_mc=ExtBanner

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643
 
After reviewing what you've mentioned thus far, I recommend the following setup instead:

$355 - Intel Core i5-3570K and Asus P8Z77-V LK combo deal
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
$39 - G.Skill Ares 2x4GB DDR3 1600

Before we go any further, please answer all of the sticky questions.
 
Thanks for the heads up. AS for the sticky questions.
1.What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2.What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$850 to 1k thats shipping and tax included.
3.Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA Dallas TX
4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a new mobo CPU and Ram.
5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply
XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
6.Will you be overclocking?
No over clocking.
7. What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Max screen resolution is 1920*1080. Its a Asus monitor dont remember how big it is.
8. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
With in the next year or sooner
9.What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
As for the Mobo USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s.
10. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Yes to the key and license.
 
Last edited:
I like the combo you linked.
$355 - Intel Core i5-3570K and Asus P8Z77-V LK combo deal

As for the cooler last time I used a cooler master cpu cooler it gave me all kinds of issues and thats why I went with the Scythe SCNJ-3100 120mm Ninja for my old AMD 64 FX 62. Never had any issues after it so I will be sticking with them.
 
You won't have any problems with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. We've recommended it to a lot of people, all of whom have had no problems with it. It's so good that even one of our moderators, Danny Bui, uses it.

How old is the power supply?

Are you ready to buy everything this week? Can you reach the Dallas/Richardson Micro Center store?
 
The PSU I bought back in late 2010.
Still saving I have about half of what I need saved up right now. Might take me a little bit longer due to my parents birthdays both being in next month and Xmas the month after.
 
I agree with the 212+ Used four of them in friends previous builds (few recommended from here) and liked it so much that i put it on this system. Its very quiet and stays cool when gaming. And i think its $20 cheaper
 
3.Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA Dallas TX
4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a new mobo CPU and Ram.

Still saving I have about half of what I need saved up right now. Might take me a little bit longer due to my parents birthdays both being in next month and Xmas the month after.

You can grab everything now from your Dallas/Richardson Micro Center:

$285 - Intel Core i5-3570K and Asus P8Z77-V LK combo from Micro Center
$26 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
$40 - Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3 1600

Subtotal - $351
+ TX sales tax - $29
= Total - $380

Micro Center has an in-store special where you instantly save $50 on any Z77 motherboard purchased along with the i5-3570K processor. The processor also serves as one of Micro Center's loss leaders; it's much cheaper there than online.

Don't worry about the RAM, as the Crucial Ballistix Sports has the same specs (DDR3 1600, 1.5V, CL9 9-9-9-2x) as other 2x4GB RAM sets like the G.Skill Ares and the Corsair Vengeance (LP).

In addition to what I recommended above, I suggest that you consider the following upgrades:

- SSD: Assuming that you use all of your $850-$1000 budget, you could easily afford an SSD. A good choice is the 256GB Samsung 830, which will outperform your hard drives. Given the SSD's comparatively meager storage capacity, you'll use it for your OS and your frequently-used programs. (Everything else can go on the HDD.)

- Video card: I recommend a newer, better video card instead of buying a second 6850 to use in CrossFire. The current generation of video cards, especially the Nvidia cards based on its Kepler GPU, are more power efficient than their predecessors. I recommend either the GTX 660 Ti or the HD 7950 as a better replacement for your 6850.

- Power supply: If, after you've upgraded everything, you start to have some stability issues, it's possible that the PSU may not be able to handle the load. (The long story short is that, based on your earlier answers, your PSU was built by OCZ, not the original PC P&C team, so I have a few doubts about the quality of its overall output.) If you have some leftover funds and you've determined that the PSU may be at fault, it may be easier for you to replace the PSU. But you can cross that bridge in due time.
 
Thanks for the heads up on the combo deal at Micro center.
As for my GPU Im not updating it just yet and I dont do SLI or Crossfire never have and never will until something that I want needs a second GPU.
I also have a Thermal-tack PSU that a friend gave me due to his upgrade and its a 950 Wat was made last year. Dont know all the info on it seeing has it didnt come with the box.
I haven't gotten into using a SSDs yet might give it a try. Im using a Western Digital 2 TB Hard Drive atm. Cant remember the speeds on it.
 
I also have a Thermal-tack PSU that a friend gave me due to his upgrade and its a 950 Wat was made last year. Dont know all the info on it seeing has it didnt come with the box.

It's "Thermaltake". Take a picture of the side of the PSU where the chart is, upload, and post it here. That'll let us know if you have one of the good Thermaltake PSUs as a lot of them are crap but some are good.
 
Sorry about the typo.
And i hit the wrong button on the watts of the PSU its only 850.
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX
 
Stick with the PC P&C PSU then as that Thermaltake PSU is of low quality.
 
Back
Top