• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building a multi-use Worship Command Center

AshleyG

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
272
I've been given the go-ahead to bring my church's sound booth kicking and screaming into the 20th century. I have some idea where I want to go with the build - I build entertainment, gaming, and general use PCs for clients - but would like to get the advice of the masters here for some of the specific parts. Here goes the template from the sticky:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Phase I: Recording audio directly from the mixer board (24 channel Yamaha) to hard drive for storage, audio editing, and podcast publication; using the system to serve pre- ad post-worship/wedding/funeral music to the speaker array
Phase II: Serving graphics, slides, and videos to a projector screen (approx. 1 year out)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Preferably around $2500 pre-tax and pre-ship; I do have donors willing to go slightly higher if I can prove the need.

3) Where do you live?
East TN

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
MB, CPU, RAM, SSD boot drive, 4 SATA drives (RAID0+1), dedicated audio card, video card for multi-monitor setup, power supply, case, DVDRW drives

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
None

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next 3-5 months

9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
RAID, Firewire, and several PCIe slots are a must.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes (W7 x64)

My main concerns are with the audio and video cards. As I mentioned at the top, we're going to be going straight from the mixing board into the computer for recording, and going back out to the mixing board for the playlists. I can fairly easily justify a fairly expensive sound card for that purpose.

As for the video, I don't want to drop too much money on features I'm not going to need. We will definitely be going multi-monitor for added desktop space and adding a projector to the mix at some point.
 
By recording, do you just mean a stereo signal from the mixer? Or do you plan on tracking multiple tracks from the mixer for manipulation on the computer?

When you play back over the PA, will it just be stereo? Or do you have more than 2 channels?

The difference between just dealing with stereo audio and actually multi-tracking are pretty substantial in terms of hardware needs.
 
Three to five months is far too early to start planning a PC build since a lot can change in 3-5 months. Parts recommended today can be out of stock, overpriced, outperformed, outdated, or out of style in two months let alone 3-5 months. So unless yhou can move up the build date, you're better off asking for advice one to two months in advance in order to get the best days on PC parts.
 
Back
Top