Building a Gaming Rig

WipeoutFTW

Limp Gawd
So yeah guys, in preparation for a few games coming out (Huxley/Assassins Creed/Few Others) I have decided to bite the bullet and build a gaming rig as opposed to my laptop. As of right now my budget is between 1700 and 2000. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. I plan to SLI down the road and get water cooling when that happens. I don't think air cooling will be sufficient for that. Here is my current setup:

Here is a link to my Newegg Wishlist:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5952486

If anyone knows any upgrades that would be boost performance while minimizing costs let me know. Also, I am trying to order the whole thing from New Egg if possible (except for the water cooling.)

( I posted this thread before but for some reason it was deleted along with a double post I accidentally posted)

Thank you, I took a few recommendations from someone who posted on my other topic but I forget who it was. (Thread was deleted)

The only thing I really want to add now is some decent water cooling.

I was planning on adding that into the extras since its not too expensive. But I'll add it to the list.

no dvd burner? they only cost like $15 more to get a nice OEM one

Yeh that dvd-rom is a waste of money for the prcie they are today it would be a sin not to get a burner.

Do you really need a sound card?

Don't bother with the Audigy SE nor the GXS 700W. The GXS 700W has ripple, so there are better choices for that price point. Get a better sound card (auzentech xmeridian, x-fi xtrememusic or gamer, i cant remember which one is better) or use onboard.

Onboard should be fine, really, or get the Xmeridian. The X-fi line has driver issues right now. Not worth the headache.

Ok, I changed the power supply to one of the reccomended ones that is in my budget and supports SLI for the 8800 GTX. Also, as far as the the thermal compound, im just going to stick with the one I have because I've read pretty good reviews on it, had great experience with it in the past, and they dont sell the other one on New Egg.

Also, the reason I have that LG drive is becuase I need it to read Wii games so I can make backup of then. For some reason LG is the only brand that is able to read them.

And the Xmeridian, I can't justify spending $170 on a sound card but I dontt want to use on board becuase I have a surround sound waiting for this beast.

By the way, thats a lot guys, I really apreciate your help and expertise.

Oh, also, I decided to just go with a cheap 5.1 sound card becuase that is the type of surround sound I have. I think it will do just fine until I feel like shelling out a an arm and a leg for a sound card.

Upgraded the RAM to 4gb of better quality ram. Ill add watercooling down the road someday. I would say its pretty much ready to be ordered, unless anyone has any objections or changes I should make.

Oh, also, I decided to just go with a cheap 5.1 sound card becuase that is the type of surround sound I have. I think it will do just fine until I feel like shelling out a an arm and a leg for a sound card.

Onboard HD Audio is alot better than what onboard audio used to be. It should handle your surround system fine, even if you get a 7.1ch setup.

Do you guys think it would be beneficial to switch to a quad core processor and sacrifice 2gb of ram and downgrade the video card to a GeForce 8800GTS?

i would go for a different CPU cooler.... tunq tower or thermalright Ultra-120 sythe Ninja

also get a better/cheaper PSU

Allright, switched to a Ninja and a slightly better/cheaper PSU, tell me what you think.

Umm you didn't change your PSU. It's still a GXS 700, which has out of spec ripples or voltage fluctuations that may damage your parts over time.

Go take another look at the two links that enginurd posted for a list of recommended power supplies. I personally recommend the Corsair HX620 620W PSU from zipzoomfly.com for about $147. Here are a few reviews of it:

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwMSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=32

But take another look at the two links enginurd provided for other recommended power supplies.

Do you guys think it would be beneficial to switch to a quad core processor and sacrifice 2gb of ram and downgrade the video card to a GeForce 8800GTS?

If you can wait until around the end of July (the 22nd I think), you should be able to get a Q6600 for ~$266.00. Then you won't need to downgrade the vid card or sacrifice ram.

If you can wait until around the end of July (the 22nd I think), you should be able to get a Q6600 for ~$266.00. Then you won't need to downgrade the vid card or sacrifice ram.

yah, just sell your E6600 to me for about $100 to help offset the cost at the end of July. ;)

Alright changed some stuff around, I'm just going to stick with a dual core and upgrade to a quad down the road if need be. Any other possible changes?

I have heard mixed emotions about ZZF, mainly with their RMA.

Newegg, OTOH, is always sweet. I have no problem paying a few bucks extra for the reassurance that I will end up with great parts.

In the end, it's up to you.

Nate

I avoid mwave.com for the same reason, now. Their prices are better on occasion, but:
1. Their shipping costs are high compared with Newegg, particularly for heavy stuff like cases
2. I seem to get an unusually high number of DOA parts from them and they force the customer to pay return shipping
3. Their customer support, while not terrible, feels lacking next to Newegg.

Newegg, OTOH, is always sweet. I have no problem paying a few bucks extra for the reassurance that I will end up with great parts.

Hm... thats a $43 difference.

Newegg's customer service isn't $43-worth better than ZZF's, IMO; maybe $5 - $15 better... but not $40. Heh, I've been screwed by Newegg before. It happens. The only complaint I have with ZZF is that they're hard to get a hold of when you need to return something. As far as initial delivery is concerned, I don't usually receive any DOA or damaged parts, and I usually get my stuff next day from ZZF... gotta love livin near their warehouse. I've been dealing with them since they were googlegear, and they're still good in my book. In other words, their mediocre customer service is fine by me, since I rarely need to deal with them. As flipflopsnowman said, its up to you.

I'm going to stick with Newegg. I've been using them for years. Good prices and customer service. May save a few bucks ordering from different places, but I'd rather have it all from one place.

But if ZZF can sell it for $43 cheaper, then I think Newegg should be able to do that, too. So, in protest, I'd buy it from ZZF instead, lol. Often times, you could save over $100 by NOT getting certain things from newegg, lol.

May save a few bucks ordering from different places, but I'd rather have it all from one place.

Now that... I don't quite understand. Some people say, "I want to get everything at once." Well, the truth is, Newegg, often times, ships parts from their out of state warehouses, making delivery times on those items later than others. Plus, ordering online is so easy, its not like its hard to order from a few different places, lol. In any case, its your money to do with what you want. We're just making sure you know that there are other choices out there. Newegg aint all its cracked up to be, lol. Though, I love their site's power search, lol.

FYI, buy.com has a similar price for the 620W Corsair, in case anyone else is reading this post.

if the man wants to buy from newegg, let him do so in PEACE

wow... I didnt think I'd have to explain all this to someone -- I thought it was all common sense...

Like I said, I'm here to offer information. If he didnt know Newegg also ships from its warehouses in NJ and TN, then now he knows, and anyone else, for that matter. While I'm offering info, I'd like some back... which is why I posed a question, to help my understanding of a certain reasoning some people seem to have. Sometimes, their decisions are based on some incomplete knowledge. Since theres no way for me to know what they know without them telling me, I offer whatever knowledge I do have related to the question(s) I ask.

I'd recommend the Silencer 750 Quad from PC Power and Cooling.
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75QB
Single 12V rail @ 60A. There are numerous reviews all over the net on this bad boy.
Also, if you have a local CompUSA, they have a pick-up only sale on X-Fi XtremeGamer Pro for $99

I was looking for Corsair 620 as well, but switched to Silencer.
Just got it yesterday, and it is "silent" juciy operator~
Second on the product if you can leave with bit of cleaning wires that are not use...

Well, I was planning on ordering it all from Newegg, which honestly in my position is pretty stupid because I live pretty close to Tiger Direct but im in no rush. The money that is going into building this computer, isn't mine to begin with Company is paying for it so im not really bargain hunting atm. As far as ordering from different stores, I don't mind doing so but in general I've had a great history with Newegg (Bought over $3000 worth of parts from them). What other online dealers would you guys reccomend, maybe we can get a good list of em going.

Mwave has pretty decent pricing on its parts, sometimes beating Newegg.

Turning around time has been really short, so it is hard to tell which retailer is the best that offers the lowest $...
However, with my experience, I recommend to set "Newegg" in the middle, and go for zipzoomfly, mwave (they're pretty good), and tigerDirect (Vid card heaven for me..). Don't forget the Fry's AD on every weekend paper that linked me to get my Vid card (BFG 7950 GT OC 512MB @ $149.99 a couple wks ago)
Early bird get the worm~

Ok, switched some stuff around, Decided it would be easier to just link to a Newegg wish list. I'm going to end up doing some bargain hunting for the parts but just use Newegg to specify the parts. Still have about a week or so before I can order them so I have time.

Back