Build questions

gplracer

Limp Gawd
So I have been out of the loop for a while.... I am upgrading the computer computer in my signature. I have decided on the following so far:

Intel 4670k
z87 motherboard
8 gigs of ram
Any comments about my choices?

I need input on a cpu/heatsink for overclocking
I would like to get a SSD but my budget might be up. How much of a difference would it make to use my 10,000 rpm raptor for now. Would that be a huge difference? I play some games and I do photoshop and video editing. Thanks!!!

It would help if you answered the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Yes a SSD is totally worth it over a Raptor if you can afford it.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? all of those things
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $400
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible. US
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need. Cpu, motherboard, and ram
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610
6) Will you be overclocking? yes
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it? 24" 1920x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? tomorrow or the next day
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc. SATA 6b/s, UEFI, USB 3
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Windows 7 64 bit ultimate

What about the video card and case?

So wait, that's $400 for the CPU, mobo, RAM and HSF as well?

Yes $400 for the cpu, ram, and motherboard. I have the rest of the parts. The video card will be upgraded later. I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case. My cousin said it is best to buy low voltage ram. I would also like a SSD but I am afraid that may have to wait until next month or so. I wonder how much of a difference it will make?

Yes $400 for the cpu, ram, and motherboard.
Then so far you're on the right track. But you're not quite there yet since you haven't chosen specific parts:
$235 - Intel Core i5-4670K CPU
$140 - Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard
$70 - Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1/8G 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
---
Total: $415 shipped.

Next month when you get the extra cash, get the following SSD and HSF:
$169 - Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SSD
$50 - Cooler Master Seidon 120V Liquid Cooling System

With that said, this is a fantastic SSD deal that you should really consider jumping in on now if you can:
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/112...5-sata-iii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd

I would also like a SSD but I am afraid that may have to wait until next month or so. I wonder how much of a difference it will make?
Big difference especially if you have an older Raptor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Dangman! I was just looking at the 840 evo. Do you think the pro is a lot better?

Back