Build question.

///AMG

2[H]4U
So I am bored and my thanksgiving has officially started. I feel like splurging so I want to start a new build today.

I have a few questions:
I want to go Crossfire/SLi, I am thinking 290 Pros? What is the best value at the high end right now?
2011 or 1150 for performance and longevity?
Will 760 watt be enough?

If you guys can I am looking for suggestions, I have a frys and microcenter near by and will be stopping by in a few hrs after the suggestions.

What resolution are you gaming at?
What do you intend to do with this computer other than what I assume to be gaming.
Depends on the answer to the above questions.

What resolution are you gaming at?
What do you intend to do with this computer other than what I assume to be gaming.
Depends on the answer to the above questions.

I play at 2560x1440 right now. I plan on an 3x30" sometime at the end of the year. No particular thing I will be doing a lot with the build. Its going to be my personal machine to play games, encode some videos, browse the web etc.

AMD is for sure the best way to go for GPUs at the moment when it comes to bang for your buck. However you really only need to go SLI/CF if you intend to run multiple monitors. If you're just gaming at 2560x1440 then a single R9 290X is plenty of juice.

You don't seem to be doing anything that requires 6 Intel cores nor multiple PCI-e lanes so 1150 will suit your needs.

760W should be enough for most SLI/CF setups but it really depends on which ones you're going with specifically.

If you want build help, then please answer the sticky questions.

AMD is for sure the best way to go for GPUs at the moment when it comes to bang for your buck. However you really only need to go SLI/CF if you intend to run multiple monitors. If you're just gaming at 2560x1440 then a single R9 290X is plenty of juice.

You don't seem to be doing anything that requires 6 Intel cores nor multiple PCI-e lanes so 1150 will suit your needs.

760W should be enough for most SLI/CF setups but it really depends on which ones you're going with specifically.

If you want build help, then please answer the sticky questions.

I was either going the 290s or 290X. I dont really need this new system at all but I just feel like it. I also wanted to try 3x30" so I know I will need SLi/CF for that and I will probably do it soon after I finish the build. I just want the best for my money. I have no real budget constraints but I also dont want to spend 10k lol. I am thinking somewhere around 3k for the build.

2011 socket with 4930k for longevity. People with 3930k have been happy and ahead of the game for years already. Plus you get the option for tri cards if you wish down the road. If you have no budget get something like an ax1200 or something beast to leave the tri card option open down the road. 3x2560 monitors are going to want every bit of horsepower.

2011 socket with 4930k for longevity. People with 3930k have been happy and ahead of the game for years already. Plus you get the option for tri cards if you wish down the road. If you have no budget get something like an ax1200 or something beast to leave the tri card option open down the road. 3x2560 monitors are going to want every bit of horsepower.

Just picked up the 4770K and the MSI Mpower Z87 motherboard from Microcenter. I was disappointed that Microcenter and Frys had no R9 290 only the R9 290X. I had to buy it from directron and I will have to pick it up in the morning. I may still pick up a 2011 system later on and drop this one to my dad. We will have to see. The Value proposition was too good for the 4770K+ MSI Mpower. Also they didnt have any of the X79 boards I wanted... So I just went with the 4770K.

Well with the msi board you got your kind of screwed on the triple card solution. You really should of gone x79 with a board that does full x16/x16/x16 3.0 or at least x16/x8/x8. With your current board youll be at x8/x8/x4 which will bottleneck badly because of the x4. At 2560x1440 x3 itll be that much more significant.

Well with the msi board you got your kind of screwed on the triple card solution. You really should of gone x79 with a board that does full x16/x16/x16 3.0 or at least x16/x8/x8. With your current board youll be at x8/x8/x4 which will bottleneck badly because of the x4. At 2560x1440 x3 itll be that much more significant.

Yea I didnt know that. I hate these spur of the moment decisions. I thought by now it would be x16/x16/8x, while the x79 is full x16. Kind of regretting it especially since the 4770K I got sucks. Takes a lot to get it stable at 4.4Ghz.

How much will x8/x8/x4 bottle neck trifire? Also Suppose it doesnt bottle neck it will the 4770K @ 4.2 bottleneck it? I might just return the 4770K and MSI MB because of the crappy OC and the PCI lane issues, I am trying to decide.

If you're going to be gaming on three 1440P monitors, then two R9 290X should be plenty of power for majority of games. Hell Crysis 3 w/ 3 1080P displays gets above 50 FPS on average, Far Cry 3 gets over 40 FPS and Tomb Raider gets into the 70 FPS average. While I realize 1440P has more pixels than a 1080P display those figures are with games turned up as high as they can get. With a higher resolution display you shouldn't need to turn the settings up that high for the visuals to be similar.

Also those numbers are on an overclocked 3770K @ 4.8Ghz.

But hey, it's your money spend it how you want.

If you're going to be gaming on three 1440P monitors, then two R9 290X should be plenty of power for majority of games. Hell Crysis 3 w/ 3 1080P displays gets above 50 FPS on average, Far Cry 3 gets over 40 FPS and Tomb Raider gets into the 70 FPS average. While I realize 1440P has more pixels than a 1080P display those figures are with games turned up as high as they can get. With a higher resolution display you shouldn't need to turn the settings up that high for the visuals to be similar.

Also those numbers are on an overclocked 3770K @ 4.8Ghz.

But hey, it's your money spend it how you want.

I am either getting 3 30" Ultra sharps (2560x1600) or a single 4k Display. This is the first build I am doing where I actually have $$$ to spend and not be so cheap. I have a certain Amount of money I have in mind for my build I just want to get the most out of it and I actually want to spend all of it because I probably wont do another build like this again.

Edit: Also I saw last night that the new intel motherboards take 2x8pin for the CPU. My X-760 only has one 8 Pin CPU connector. Is it fine to run it that way until friday when my new PSU arrives?

Edit: Also I saw last night that the new intel motherboards take 2x8pin for the CPU. My X-760 only has one 8 Pin CPU connector. Is it fine to run it that way until friday when my new PSU arrives?
Probably not.

Back