Build Question - Need an Opinion

Jmucker

n00b
Upgrading to a 7700K replacing my 4670K. Probably a mild O/C.

My motherboard choice is : MSI Z270-A PRO (114.99 USD)

Can anyone critique this setup? I'll also need a cooler, thinking a generic water cooler nothing custom. Not planning to do a crazy OC (yet). I have a H60 on my 4670k and it never gave me issues.

It's difficult reading peoples reviews on paid websites so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks

Should work fine. I'd just reuse that H60. I can get around 4.8Ghz leaving the voltage on Auto on my MSI board.

Unless you're running the rare game or other app that's somehow limited by the current CPU, upgrading is probably not worth it. I'm currently on a 3770K, and don't expect to upgrade until Intel is full-speed on the 10 nm process. Maybe look to upgrading other components, such has the GPU or a SSD.

Also, water coolers are overkill when running at stock or mild overclock speeds. A good tower air cooler is cheaper and works just as well.

kirbyrj Thanks didn't realize the H60 would be reusable. My concern is the life of these things. I've had this H60 since 2013 w/ daily use! Are most of the newer coolers all compatible w/ LGA 1151? They all say 1150 but I'm guessing they have adapters.

@BlueLineSwinger I have a GTX 1070 that's about a month old and a Samsung 870 Pro. My FPS drops pretty significantly in battlefield 1 / Pubg. I'm guessing due to CPU bottleneck.

I should probably format and install win 8 / win 10. Maybe that will help.

kirbyrj Thanks didn't realize the H60 would be reusable. My concern is the life of these things. I've had this H60 since 2013 w/ daily use! Are most of the newer coolers all compatible w/ LGA 1151? They all say 1150 but I'm guessing they have adapters.

@BlueLineSwinger I have a GTX 1070 that's about a month old and a Samsung 870 Pro. My FPS drops pretty significantly in battlefield 1 / Pubg. I'm guessing due to CPU bottleneck.

I should probably format and install win 8 / win 10. Maybe that will help.

I have a Vantec 2.0 that is very long in the tooth cooling an 8320 drawing way too many watts. I intend to run it until the pump dies and you can do the same.

Personally don't trust much MSI mobos, specially when it comes to reliability.
Solid options would be Asus or Asrock, yes some will question asrock but I been building rigs in my shop using plenty of their stuff and cannot only say great things. Also personally for overclocking they are one of the best, go with Z270 Fatal1ty K6, awesome mobo.

Back