Build own DAS

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
220
Hey everyone. Question for all the pros out there. I've got my WHS build (self-build) running low on capacity and physical space for hard drives and was looking at picking up something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111051&cm_re=tr8m-_-16-111-051-_-Product

My question is, what would I need to build this on my own. I'd like to buy a bigger case than the one Sans Digital offers with more storage capacity instead of this one where I'm limited @ 8 bays.

As an FYI, I am using the ECS Black Series A785GM-M as the mobo in my WHS. It has 2 eSATA ports which I believe both support port multiplier. Ideally I would like to use both, down the road, with two separate DAS systems.

Thanks!
 
pjkenned - how would I connect an SAS expander to my AOC-SASLP-MV8 in my WHS? I've got one of the two ports on that card free right now.
 
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the AOC-SASLP-MV8 + HP SAS Expander, however... according the the HP SAS Expander thread here, that combination should work.

I am assuming by "ports" you mean one of the two physical connectors on the card that each supports four ports/ drives without expanders.

If that assumption is correct, you have two basic options:
1. Get an Internal -> External SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 converter (possibly mounting in an expansion card slot but these are passive converters). Then use the SFF-8088 to connect the main machine w/ converter to the HP SAS Expander's external port. In the links above, the external port on the HP SAS Expander is being used to connect it to the main server (although an Areca 1680LP controller which has a native SFF-8088 port).
2. Find a SFF-8087-> SFF-8088 cable and hang it outside of the case. Method 1 is much better since it makes it much cleaner to disconnect the cable at both ends without opening a case.

Method 1 is again, by far, the better way to do this.
 
I can tell you that when I plugged my HP SAS Expander into the second port on my SASLP, the SASLP couldn't find any drives running on the first port. The consensus we came up with is that the SASLP may not have been able to speak both SAS and SATA and went with the drives on the Expander. This was done internally with 8087 cable.

YMMV I guess.
 
I can tell you that when I plugged my HP SAS Expander into the second port on my SASLP, the SASLP couldn't find any drives running on the first port. The consensus we came up with is that the SASLP may not have been able to speak both SAS and SATA and went with the drives on the Expander. This was done internally with 8087 cable.

YMMV I guess.

Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll need to do some research then.
 
Will WHS still give me the health and temp. readings for the hard drives in the 2nd case using this setup?
 
Hi, just like to add to what others have already indicated.

Last time I read about Dell Perc 6i, I also recall seeing something similar to that effect. Perc 6i with SAS-Backplane. Say I wanted now to add SATA drives into the mix, I need to add interposer to the SATA drives. One of the reasons is that SAS signals running much higher in comparision to SATA-level devices when SAS and SATA are mixed together. (sorry I forgot the exact technical explanation) For business support reason they encourage all-SAS or all-SATA in the same backplane.

It is definitely doable (a lot of examples in the SAS Expander thread) but just need to double-check the right combination.
 
What site is recommended to purchase sff-8087 and sff-8088 cables? I googled and only came up with one site and nothing on newegg unless i'm searching the wrong term.

Also, Kettchxxii, per the HP SAS Expander thread, did you connect your SASLP to internal port 8 or 9 on the HP SAS card instead of the external port 1?
 
Back
Top