• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build now or...

InfernalMachine

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
418
wait?

My main rig died (see sig) and I'm not having much luck finding out what component bit the dust (leaning towards mobo as I don't get any beeps upon powering or possibly the CPU).

I've a latop to hold me over (not playing anything really where I need a ton of power, though it wouldn't hurt visually, with Bulldozer coming and whatever Intel has in the works would it be best to wait or build an on the cheap rig short term?

If my mobo is shot I could get a cheapo to sustain me but if it's the CPU, I'd be better off upgrading I think. If I went AMD I could stick with my RAM/PSU/Dual 4870s which might be a good stop gap?

I've been out of the PC loop for so long I don't know what to do!
 
Stop gap:
$160 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
$140 - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard
---
Total: $300 plus tax and shipping.

Figure out the issue with your PC first and then build.
 
Stop gap:
$160 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
$140 - Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard
---
Total: $300 plus tax and shipping.

Figure out the issue with your PC first and then build.

Without buying more hardware to figure out the issues, I'm at a loss (outside of going to the geek squad *shudder*).

Thanks for the links!
 
got a microcenter nearby? you can get a replacement for 100 ,or 110 if u want a better mb

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/0727_AMDbundle.html

No MC nearby, Fry's only.

I don't think the mobo is the issue, I swapped out a different mobo and hooked everything back up, my result was no post/beeps power to everything but USB ports (well the keyboard and mouse didn't light up). So I'm assuming it's the CPU and if it is, i'd be better off upgrading than buying the same CPU.
 
Back
Top