Build needed for a family member

HaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Upgrading a computer for a relative, He just wants it fast and reliable, no gaming at all. He's currently on a FX-60 build, 2gb of ram, and a crappy hard drive. I want to move him to SSD for sure.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
General, Web browsing, Email, Skype, Photo Editing (Not photoshop)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$350 US Tax & Shipping Included
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
MI, not near anything but a best buy.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, Motherboard, video card?
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Lian Li A05B Case, Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU DVD burners, mouse & keyboard, has a x850xt pe video card spare. Just got him a Samsung 830 SSD 128gb
6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920 x 1080, 24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Week or so
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SATA 6 GB/s
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
32bit windows 7

Last edited:
sorry, couldn't be specific on that one. Not sure at the moment, will try to find out the next couple days or so. All i do know is that he had a lian li 500w psu that went bad and got the antec about a year ago. it might even be a 600w.

Please find out as soon as possible as that may determine whether or not a new PSU is needed as part of that $350 budget

PSU is an Antec Earthwatts EA650 650w 80 plus

Update:

He just bought a Samsung 830 SSD 128gb

-70$ from budget = $280

Last edited:
$125 - Intel Core i3-2100
$75 - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$18 - G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNT 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
---
Total: $218 shipped.

$62 should be more than enough to cover the mouse and keyboard.

oh he already has a mouse and keyboard, he really just needs a processor and a motherboard for 280, maybe a cheapy video card im thinking about removing his x850xt pe as it sucks watts and isn't that powerful these days, but he really doesn't need a demanding video card.

wondering if an AMD FX 8320 + motherboard would be nice for him.

oh he already has a mouse and keyboard, he really just needs a processor and a motherboard for 280, maybe a cheapy video card im thinking about removing his x850xt pe as it sucks watts and isn't that powerful these days, but he really doesn't need a demanding video card.

wondering if an AMD FX 8320 + motherboard would be nice for him.

Look at the bolded parts. You want to save power yet you want to use a power hungry CPU? See the problem there?

Anyway, GPU wise, just pick up the HD 6450.

well i want his computer to be fast, but doesn't need any sort of power hungry video card. given his psu doesn't have the greatest amperage on split 12v rail. I'm not trying to save power but rather, trying not to use the psu on full load ;) I do understand that the processor is power hungry, but given these items:

FX 8320
Motherboard
SSD
1x HDD
2x DVD Drives
2x 120mm fans
1x Cpu fan

the 650watt would be able to power it fine wouldn't it?

Last edited:
the 650watt would be able to power it fine wouldn't it?

Yes. However I highly doubt your relative will be able to tell the difference between the FX 8350 and the Core i3 2100 I listed earlier. If you're gonna go stupid overkill, at least go with a CPU that doesn't suck up so much power and has far better single threaded performance like the Core i5 3470.

I agree he probably won't be able to tell the difference, it's mostly me just wanting to try out the new Vishera (FX 8320). He came to me and requested at price range of 350$ and it to be fast, I told him i could do cheaper but we're gunna go with $350 price set for upgrades. But your probably right single threaded performance would benefit him more.

Ok so we changed things around again this is what we ended up with:

Processor: Core i5-3450 - 169.99
Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V LE 99.99 after rebate
Memory: Samsung 30nm 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 40.00
SSD: 128GB Samsung 830 70.00

Ordered from various websites to keep cost down, went a little over the limit but he was prepared to go up to 400 max apparently. He's moving from a AMD FX60, A8N32-SLI, Raptor X to this. Raptor X is also on is on it's way out the door. He should be happy about the speed increase lol

Last edited:
Back