• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build Help for Cyber Monday

Brose

n00b
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
33
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my PC I built back in 2008. First off, I appreciate the help that you guys put forth for people like myself. I always like to compare options so a couple recommendations with reasoning would be greatly appreciated.


Here are my current specs:
Motherboard - Asus P5Q PRo
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
RAM - 2.00 GB
Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4800 series
Power Supply - Corsair TX750w
Case - Cooler Master CM690
Hard Drives - Western Digital WD1200JB 00GVC0
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 00A7B0

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I mostly play video games such as Diablo 3, Hearthstone and possibly Wildstar or Elder Scrolls Online when they come out. I also tend to watch livestreams on Twitch. The problem is that I can only really have one stream open with it on the lowest settings. I would prefer the ability to have 2-3 streams open with higher settings.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I don't necessarily have a budget. I don't need overkill, but more of a most bang for my buck type of deal. With that said, I would like to keep it below $800 before tax and shipping if that is even possible. But, it's not a hard rule.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Maryland

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I don't want to have to upgrade if I don't have to. With my limited knowledge I would say CPU/Mobo, RAM and Video Card are what need upgrading the most. However, I am open to suggestions if something sticks out.


5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Similar to question 4. I don't want to reuse anything that wouldn't be considered a "necessity" to upgrade. How important is/are the hard drive(s)?

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I have a 22" Dell U2412m and have been using it at 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Looking at upgrading some with Cyber Monday.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Unfortunately, I don't know what most of this is to even know if I need it. So probably nothing special.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have a useable Windows 7 64bit

If you need more information, just let me know. Thanks for your help!
 
$185 - Intel Core i5-4430 CPU
$90 - MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE Intel Z87 ATX Motherboard
$60 - Crucial Ballistix BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$145 - SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L HD 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$90 - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD
----
Total: $570 shipped

Yes you can reuse your case and PSU. As for the hard drives, reuse them for the extra storage. However, reinstall Windows onto the SSD. The SSD will make a massive difference in the responsiveness of the system. So just keep the OS and critically needed or heavily used programs/games and the hard drives for everything else and you'll be fine. However I would not recommend installing any programs or games onto that WD 120GB drive as that drive is extremely slow by today's standards.

As for the video card, yes the HD 7870Ghz is big step-up over the HD 4850. However, I would highly recommend grabbing the HD 7950 (if it ever shows up under $250), the HD 7970 (if it ever shows up under $290) or the R9 280X (if it ever shows up around $300) if you plan on playing more higher-end games.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! I was looking at an Intel Core i5 4570. Would that be much different from the 4430? Also, would it be a good idea to grab two sticks of the 8gb RAM? Finally, I think I will try to go with the HD 7950 as well.

I had an idea on things from browsing the website, but I just don't know what to expect since this is mostly Greek to me. Hopefully, Cyber Monday helps me out with some of these upgrades!
 
Thanks! I was looking at an Intel Core i5 4570. Would that be much different from the 4430?
Not really no.
Also, would it be a good idea to grab two sticks of the 8gb RAM?
If you can afford it and if doesn't cut into the budget for other parts, yes. Though you're better off getting a larger SSD first than 16GB of RAM:
$160 - Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SSD

I had an idea on things from browsing the website, but I just don't know what to expect since this is mostly Greek to me. Hopefully, Cyber Monday helps me out with some of these upgrades!
Good luck.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top