build help for computer to run FSX?

Crapgame

Limp Gawd
I'm helping a friend build a computer specifically for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and he wants to use triple monitors horizontally with it.He has already purchased a 2500K SB and the build is going to be around that and his monitors. If there is a STRONG case for a different cpu, make the argument. Price is a big consideration for him hence no 2600k. FSX supposedly runs better on Nvidia than AMD but Eyefinity is easier than NV surround as it only requires 1 card. Any FSX guys here who can help out? I've been reading a flightsim forum for a couple hours and there are a lot of disagreements there as to hardware.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X almost exclusively
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 for the box itself, already have triple monitors (1680x1050)
3) Where do you live?
near Greensboro NC
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
case,cpu,mobo,ram,video card/s,HDD,PSU,cpu heatsink/fan
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
optical drives will be re-used
6) Will you be overclocking?
oh yes indeed
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
triple monitors at 3x(1680x1050)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
in the process now, waiting for fixed Sandy Bridge mobos to be in stock
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Crossfire/SLI support depending on which brand video I go with. Supposedly Nvidia runs FSX better but triple monitor is easier on ATI
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
64-bit win7 unless something else would run FSX better

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
in the process now, waiting for fixed Sandy Bridge mobos to be in stock
In that case, I recommend waiting till those motherboard actually ships before asking for build help: The problem is that most sites have the fixed mobos coming out in late March to early April. Parts we recommend today will more than likely not be exactly the same parts we recommend a month from now let alone a month and a half from now. Not to mention that a good majority of our build lists involve cost savings Newegg combo deals that expire at the end of every month.

So if you want the latest and most up-to-date advice and deals, wait till those updated/fixed Sandy Bridge mobos come out and ask for advice then. I highly encourage you to stick to the Coore i5 2500K route unless your friend needs the PC by the end of this month or mid-March.

Back