Build Help, $1000, Avid Video Editing Box

rironin

n00b
Hi there, I came to these forums for my last rig and you guys knocked it out of the park. The rig I built in 2009 is still going strong, but I'd like to begin editing with Avid MediaComposer, upgrade my gaming hardware, and move this old machine into the living room to control my TV. So I'd like another round of advice for some new hotness.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

• Gaming: I'm more into gaming than I was in 2009. I still don't need a machine that can run the bleeding edge at the highest settings, but I do have some Steam games that I haven't played yet because I want to have a better experience: Dead Space 1 & 2, the Mass Effect series, etc. I assume that a new machine with a bigger budget geared toward video editing will be able to play these games well.
  • Photoshop/Image Processing: I will probably buy some version of Adobe's image processing software.
  • Video Editing: This is the major requirement for this new system. I want to edit and produce video projects using Avid Media Composer 6. The system requirements were a bit difficult for me to understand, but I imagine it's going to come down primarily to the graphics card and RAM.
  • Music/Movies: I'll be managing my MP3 library and watching BluRay movies. I assume that most modern systems will be able to output multichannel surround sound, which would be nice, even though I don't use it right now.
  • Other: Web browsing, word processing, communication apps, all your basic home computing needs not already listed above.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Let's ballpark it at $1000, including rebates, not including tax, shipping, or any other costs. I also have a side question: what would you add or replace on the $1000 rig if you had $200 more to work with? I'm interested in knowing what kind of power increases I could get if I sprung for a $1200 rig instead of a $1000, or if the returns for throwing more money at it will diminish too much for it to be worth it to me.

3) Where do you live?

New England, USA.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

Basically, the case and everything that goes in it, except for a 500 GB storage drive from the old box that I will be using for primary storage on the new rig. I don't really need any other huge storage solutions yet, but I'll look into it later if it's needed.

• Case - The last case I got is great, but it barely fits on my desk. I need my next case to be no more than 20 inches tall.
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Video Card & Sound Card
  • Power Supply
  • RAM
  • Hard Disk - I would like an SSD to run the OS and programs
  • Bluray/DVD writer with Lightscribe
  • Any other devices/slots (extra USB ports, etc) that I might need

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

The only part I'm planning on transferring from the old box is a 500 GB SATA hard drive which will be my primary data storage.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No.

7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?

I will continue to use my ASUS 23" 1920x1080 and my old IBM 19" 1280x1024 monitor.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Over the next month.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

Need Firewire. Don't think I'll need the other stuff, though maybe one day I'd want to set up RAID - but if including RAID support in the motherboard is a big problem, forget RAID.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?

I'll be buying a new license for Windows 7 Ultimate.

Well, that's about all the info. What do you hardware sages recommend for $1000 - $1200 Avid Editing beast? Thanks in advance!

Which one is the bigger requirement? Gaming or video editing? I ask because a GPU card meant for gaming is not going to do so well for Avid Media Composer whereas a GPU meant for that Avid program will absolutely suck for gaming.

Is the cost of OS part of that $1000 budget?

What Windows 7 Ultimate only features will you actually be using?

Which one is the bigger requirement? Gaming or video editing? I ask because a GPU card meant for gaming is not going to do so well for Avid Media Composer whereas a GPU meant for that Avid program will absolutely suck for gaming.

Balls. Video editing is the bigger requirement. But this is intended to be my main PC, I was hoping to have something that could do both gaming and video editing. Is there any way to have it all? If a video editing GPU is totally awful for gaming, can I buy an additional GPU that's at least decent for gaming and switch to it when I go to play games? Or is there a GPU out there that's decent at both?

Is the cost of OS part of that $1000 budget?

The OS is not part of the $1000 budget, no.

What Windows 7 Ultimate only features will you actually be using?

Probably not many, but I have Ultimate on this machine and I like it. I want to have Windows XP mode, which is only on Professional and above, so I figure might as well go for Ultimate as it's hardly more expensive. In any case, the OS isn't really a part of the budget, so no need to worry about it.

Balls. Video editing is the bigger requirement. But this is intended to be my main PC, I was hoping to have something that could do both gaming and video editing. Is there any way to have it all? If a video editing GPU is totally awful for gaming, can I buy an additional GPU that's at least decent for gaming and switch to it when I go to play games? Or is there a GPU out there that's decent at both?
AFAIK, not really in your case due to the app you're using. If you were using Adobe software, you could easily have both a good video editing and gaming GPU in a single GPU. Not sure if you can switch GPUs like that.

Honestly, I would just accept the lower video editing performance for the higher gaming performance. You'll see more of a benefit from a gaming GPU in a video editing situation than a video editing GPU in a gaming situation.

EDIT: What's the likelihood of you buying the entire PC or most of it before August 1st?.

AFAIK, not really in your case due to the app you're using. If you were using Adobe software, you could easily have both a good video editing and gaming GPU in a single GPU. Not sure if you can switch GPUs like that.

I see. I don't want to go with Adobe rather than Avid just on that reasoning alone, though. I'm sort of tied to Avid.

I came across this youtube video which seems to explain the reason that you're saying we can't have the best of both worlds. The video and some of the comments (though I've no idea how much I can trust them) make it sound like I will probably be okay with a gaming GPU. I say that mainly because the video makes it sound like the workstation GPUs help out especially with CAD or 3d rendering, which I have no plans to do. Does Avid video processing use the same kind of processes that 3d rendering does?

Honestly, I would just accept the lower video editing performance for the higher gaming performance. You'll see more of a benefit from a gaming GPU in a video editing situation than a video editing GPU in a gaming situation.

This sounds like the way to go. Barring any new information, I think I will go with the gaming GPU. I'm really not going to be going that heavy on the editing load, I don't think.

EDIT: What's the likelihood of you buying the entire PC or most of it before August 1st?.

Nil. I have actually had some changes career wise very recently, so I think I will have to hold off on the new computer until that has worked itself out. Why? Am I missing a sale, or will something good come out on August 1?

Thanks for all your advice thus far, btw.

Does Avid video processing use the same kind of processes that 3d rendering does?
It may use similar technology.
Nil. I have actually had some changes career wise very recently, so I think I will have to hold off on the new computer until that has worked itself out. Why? Am I missing a sale, or will something good come out on August 1?
Well we tend to use Newegg combo deals to help you save you money. However those combo deals expire at the end of the month they're introduced in. So any combo deals we recommend you this month won't be available next month.

Yeah, please come back when you're 2-3 weeks away from buying the parts for the PC. Feel free to bump up this thread.
Thanks for all your advice thus far, btw.
No prob.

The time has come! I am now 2-3 weeks away from buying the parts for the PC. Please dispense with wisdom! Thanks in advance.

Please come back in 2 days and bump up this thread then. Right now Newegg is still a little wonky in listing the combo deals.

Here's a prelim build for you:
$407 - Intel Core i7-3770 CPU + MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
$66 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-16GBNT 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$300 - eVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB PCi-E Video Card
$90 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD
$28 - LG iHAS224-0 DVD Burner with Lightscribe
$57 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
$20 - Vantec 3-Port Firewire 400 PCI-E Card
---
Total: $1018 shipped

If you want to spend that extra $182, I'd grab a second set of that G.Skill RAM so that you'd be maxed on RAM (32GB of RAM total). Use the remaining cash to get the 256GB version of that Samsung SSD.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$57 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

Just a heads-up and not sure how long it will last or if there are special conditions (there weren't for me when I ordered it a few hours ago) but there is also a promo code for the Antec NEO ECO that saves an additional $10.

$10 off w/ promo code CollegeSave10, limited offer

Excellent, thanks! A few questions:

I prefer to have the case in black, and I think I found a version in black on Amazon that's actually cheaper. Can you confirm that this case is the same model in black, and that it will meet all my needs just as well as the white one you recommended?

Similarly, the 256 GB version of the SSD you were referring to is this one, right?

Thanks again!

I prefer to have the case in black, and I think I found a version in black on Amazon that's actually cheaper. Can you confirm that this case is the same model in black, and that it will meet all my needs just as well as the white one you recommended?
Wrong case. The Source 210 you've linked is missing the front panel USB 3.0 port and a 140mm fan compared to the Source 210 Elite that I recommended above. The Source 210 Elite Black is currently out of stock at Amazon.com. I don't recommend buying the Source 210 Elite Black from Newegg as it currently lacks free shipping.

Similarly, the 256 GB version of the SSD you were referring to is this one, right?
Correct

Ah, glad I double checked about the case. I could go with the white case, but if I were willing to go up in price, do you know of any darker-colored (and perhaps also better-featured, or sexier in general) cases that will fit all the parts? I assume if there were anything priced lower you'd have suggested it, so anything in the $50-$100 range would be under consideration here. My only restriction with the case is that it be no wider than my current case (I had previously mentioned height, but luckily my new living space lets me put it on the floor) which is 8.1 inches wide.

Thanks again for all the help, I am already salivating over this new beast, and I haven't even ordered it yet.

I recommend the Corsair 400R since it's 8.1" wide exactly.

Hi Danny Bui,

You recommended this same PSU in a build for me, just so everybody knows, it does not include the power cord.

Didn't bother because I have plenty of them.

Thanks again for all the help you provide here.

Tom

Back