Build gone bad

1) Tried diff ones
2) Thought of that, set cpu speed to max in bios

Well I spent an hour on the phone with newegg, I can return everything for a total loss of about 150 bucks.

Cant believe i am even thinking of that option... oh wait, 150 plus shipping all of that back to newegg, say 190 total loss. (Not counting old restocking fees with some of the previous parts)

Hey, have you tried assembling everything outside of the case ?

I always do it in such situations.

Just my 2 cents.

How about different monitor? That has to be the only thing in common left isn't it?

On a side note, you do have all power management stuff turned off in the BIOS right?

OK, we need to whip this build once and for all. Don't swallow the $150+ .

Here's where you need to start.
Boot that sucker and wait till it acts up. Then remove or swap ONE piece of hardware at a time and see if it boots again.

Actually, if you could manage... it would be great if you could swap the hardware with your PC and see if either rig acts differently from the swap. But, this has to be done while the new build is acting up, and it has to be a fast swap (like less than a minute), in case it's temp related.

Also, before doing that... have you tried unplugging the power supply for like 5 minutes, when it's doing the on-off-on thing?? I know you've ruled out the PS, but this may help us to understand if the issue is heat related or voltage related.

try going into the bios and making sure voltages are set right.

I REALLY WANT THIS TO GET FIXED for you lol

I don't know if you have read my post...

Take your computer out of your case (just to make sure) and then don't use the power switch to start it. Unplug with power switch wire from the motherboard, and take a screw driver and touch the two prongs that the power switch wire covered (the computer should turn on)... See if the computer runs stable then..

Also unplug the reset switch wire from the motherboard too.

I've read a few threads where the power button or the reset button were shorting out randomly (due to vibrations) which would cause the computer to turn off..

It's worth a shot.. it's $150..

Ya, I read your post. Sorry for not responding to it. Appreciate all the help.

Ok, Im going to lose some good hardocp friends on this one. I gave up. Sent all the stuff back to newegg, and got a hell of a deal on a dell using my corporate discount thingy. haha this is the first build that has truly defeated me. I took a bit of a loss, but to tell you the truth, with school and my internship, I do not have the time to play with it anymore.

As for responses to people on this page,
I did try doing the screw driver trick.
Did use a different monitor
also keyboard and mouse
Voltages were set right, tried custom settings, on both old board and new one
unplugged reset switch
tried swapping switches

As for as swapping, this is the first time swapping out parts from my rig did not help.

Get this...with only the mobo, cpu, memory, and psu hooked up.. ON A WOOD DESK, I would swap out the memory. Ok still turning off. Did it detect the mem right, set right voltages, yes.

Psu? no way, this is the 2nd one. Tried mine, which would be the third. Still turns off

CPU? Tried mine with original parts and mine, still turns off

Mobo? 2 of the same gigabytes, 1 asus.. Still turns off

This is all without a cd rom or hd hooked up... OUTSIDE the case...using different sockets around my house...using different power cables...double checking every fine detail..cpu thermal compound, temps, wires.

I have thought of everything, so I hope some of you will take it easy on me after reading that I just got a dell. :)

BTW, this was for my parents that I do not live with. I never mentioned that. So I am paying for the loss, and they are getting a dell, with the monitor and a few other things i got from newegg.

Note: This was not my first build by any means, and I was not doing anything obviously wrong. I would think the same reading over these posts. Although its been a while since I have built one, I know plenty to get a build going.

Total Loss on the build from hell = $200

Sucks man...This is about the worst thing I've read in a while.. :(

I hope this doesn't discourage you from not building anymore...

Dude..... You got a Dell??!! :(

I guess most people would give up after all you went through but your supposed to be [H]ard and not give up. ;) Hopefully this didn't sour you from ever trying it again. Better luck next time Bro'.

Dude, I don't blame you for your decision. It sucks, but there just comes a point.

I'm more disappointed that we couldn't come up with the solution before you reached that point. :(

The important thing is that YOU are comfortable with the decision. That's all that matters. And, I'm sure your parents will love the new Dell.

One tip... when you get the Dell, go through and remove all the garbage software that your parents won't ever use. And check the remaining software for internet permissions. Dell likes to load up all sorts of crap that 1) tend to bog down the systems, and 2) like to suck up your internet bandwidth with automatic updates and system reporting. Uuggh.

Your right, and that point was yesterday. Like i said, I ran out of time to keep doing it. Ill suck up the loss, the new pc should be here soon which means no more 3 calls a day asking if its ready :)

wjorgert: This is the first time a thread of mine at [H] was not completly solved. 1 out of say 50 is not so bad. As for the dell, sadly to admit, its faster than the rig i was building, and 200 less. Only pc's I will be building in the future are ones for myself. As for cleaning up the dell, I plan on doing a fresh install. Even if all those companies got better with bundled software/crap(Gateway, Dell, etc), there is always some crap that they put in them.

Anyways, gotta get back to work aka reading up on GTA reviews aka seeing if i can afford a 360.

Only pc's I will be building in the future are ones for myself. As for cleaning up the dell, I plan on doing a fresh install. Even if all those companies got better with bundled software/crap(Gateway, Dell, etc), there is always some crap that they put in them.

You really can't compete with a Dell on price on "normal" computers. I always steer my friends and relatives to Dell when they ask me about me building them a PC. Plus, I really do not want to walk them through every mundane task they can't figure out on the first try. Dell can do that for them.

Also, even though it's been a year, and I purchased it through the business channel, the last Dell I bought had hardly any bloatware. If I recall correctly, it had a 6 month Norton or McAffee Internet Security Suite and Adobe Reader. I ditched the Internet Security Suite by simply running the uninstaller and installed AVG. Windows Defender took over the spyware protection. (The Internet Security Suite was being a pain in the butt with file access over the network.)

It was a nice little PC, ran dead silent, looked great, and performed remarkably well, especially considering the price point it was in.

I was thinking the same. The price on this Dell, using my work discount was amazing considering the quad core, 3 gig ddr2, 500 gig hd. For future requests, (non gaming requests anyways), I might just have to stick with dell. I dont have the time to keep doing this.

As for as high performance setups, gaming, etc, im sure the obvious choice would still be to build your own.

Also, your post helped me gain some respect for dell. I remember they use to be horrible at one point. Might save me some time doing a fresh install.

haha sure is. But once I realized the price i could get it for using my work stuff, I said why not.

Plus, I might have to keep it for a few days and "check it out". :)

[Did not know my work had a deal with dell, if your wondering why i did not do this in the first place]

Good to hear in the end it worked out and you got your parents a nice system that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

As far as your 200.00 loss, well that sucks, but I don't blame you for getting rid of the headache. Hell I would have long before you did. :)

Its the Inspiron 530 which has -350 bucks off without any corporate savings

Haha, Im surprised I lasted that long. But like i said, this was the first time it dident work out, and Im somewhat happy its over. Somewhat because of the 200 loss.

What really killed me was the 100 bucks buying windows. Newegg has some great people, but they CAN NOT take back that kind of software, or prob any software for that matter. The rest of the stuff they helped me out quite a bit.

Back