Build gone bad

Your motherboard can not do 1.8v on the DIMMs? I thought 1.8v is the standard voltage on DDR2 memory. Maybe that is what "AUTO" is for in your BIOS.

Keep us posted, but it really sounds like your memory could be the culprit here.

You might be right, but i dont think I can tell what its at when its on auto. But i do know when i take it off auto, 1.8 is not a choice.

Like I said, i tried my other memory on auto and same thing

Onboard video

I will swap out the cpu tonight with my personal rig, but i have a feeling that is not the problem.

I still think its a memory or mobo issue.

Typing this on my personal pc with the cpu from the build. The build is running my cpu.

Both are running. We will see what happens. Temps on this one are fine so far

Install a video card and disable that onboard video to check that.

It shutdown with my good processor from my personal system. So thus far, all hardware has been replaced or swapped out.

What the hell is next

Turned back on, i have it running without the hard drive connected. Bios is still running, 2 hours later.

Guess Ill see if its running in the morning

had similar problems before. It wasn't ram related for me. It was the reset switch reversed. I've also had a short (metal touching) do this to me too. All in a days experience though ;)

uh, im about 99% sure a reversed reset switch could not cause any problem whatsoever. It consists of 2 wires and when the button is depressed it cuts current through the line, doesnt matter if its reversed cause it would function identically.

well the cpu was not the issue. Does the same thing with my cpu from my personal system. So that leaves no hardware to be replaced. Whats next?

Recap now of whats been done
Whats been done if your new to this thread

Motherboard has been rma'd,
Returned the first TT psu for one listed above
Tested a working cpu
Tried my working memory in other desktop.
Tried running outside of case
Played with memory timings, set to manual, voltage to 2.0, timings to match what the memory wants
Double checked power..24 pin connected and 12 volt connected
Used spacers between screws and motherboard just to be safe
Double checked wires connected to mobo...reset, power. etc.
Updated bios to newest (Gigabyte told me to do this, to make sure my cpu has support) This was done successfully, and still same problem.
Double checked cpu temps, if anything they were very low. 30 C if i remember correctly.
Have tried running the motherboard on optimized defaults, not fail safe yet because im not familar with that.

What is the problem still?
The computer will turn on, run like nothing is wrong for a given amount of time. Say 2 hours. After this amount of time, it will turn off. I have to turn it back on and then it will last a few seconds and turn off again. If I give it a few hours or a day, I will get another few hours out of it when I turn it on. Process repeats over and over. It will do this in windows or bios, just depends where I am atm. Windows has been installed fine twice, runs great and then gets dies. No blue screen or anything.

I am returning the motherboard once again. This time I am getting a completely new one. Can someone please pick one out, please try to stay under 100 bucks. On board video and sound is a must.

^^^^

And will this work with my hardware?...(page 2)

It seems so...

EDIT: Hdmi...to fancy.

^^^^

It seems so...

You could always use a HDMI to DVI cable with it. Actually some newer monitors are coming out with HDMI ports instead of DVI - case in point is my Hanns-G 28" lcd.

Sorry, I can't offer any suggestions on an Intel board...
If you decided to come over to the Dark Side I could help you out there. :D

^^^^

It seems so...

I am running it with a E8400 Wolfdale 45nm and 2x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 1.8V 4-5-4-14 RAM at 3-5-4-14 just fine.

It's a nice little motherboard, full of overclocking features and everything else to go with it. Like the previous poster said, it comes with a HDMI to DVI adapter so you can use DVI on your computer monitor.

If you do get it, one thing to warn ya about to save ya a bunch of time from troubleshooting. Do not disable the onboard audio with the 0405 BIOS, otherwise it hangs at "Checking NVRAM". It's a bug that wasn't present in the previous BIOS, so it should be fixed in the next one just fine. If you run a soundcard, you will end up with two installed and you will have to go into your sounds and audio control panel applet and select the proper card for your sound, mic, synth, etc. No big deal though.

Not sure man. There are some other ASUS boards that are G35 and MicroATX that cut back on some of the features that do cost less. I can't recommend any of them as I have only researched the one that I linked to and actually have that one and I don't know the others. The one I linked to was highly recommended here at the [H] for one of the two best MicroATX boards, the other being a similarly priced Gigabyte board.

Are both motherboards from gigabyte?

I' ve had the worst of the lucks with that brand, may i suggest try another brand?

ive had 2 systems do the start up for 2-10 seconds thing and then shutoff. both times it was a bad psu. that would be my first thing to change. after changing psu problems never reappeared.

There have been a few occasions in which I have transported an older rig of mine and if it were cold outside.... when i arrived at destination and hooked it up, i could press the pwr button and it would click back off immediately. cycle power to psu. wait a bit. press pwr, stays on several seconds and clicks off. cycle power to psu, wait a bit. ... wash, rinse, ... repeat. after a few cycles, it will power on and stay on indefinitely.

any patterns like that? (doesn't seem like it, but i figured i'd ask anyway)

nope, this will not stay on after it shuts down after a period of time. It needs a few hours. Strange i know. Motherboard is being delivered today. We will see tonight or tomorrow morning if this cures the issue.

Which motherboard did you order that is coming in today? (Your link didn't work that you posted right above)

A few things come to mind if you still have issues with this new board:

1.) Could your board or something in your case be shorting out after awhile due to thermal expansion? I know it's tough to track down, I've had this problem before and eventually just swapped the entire case to solve it.

2.) Have you tried a different wall socket, surge suppressor, etc.? I know it seems kinda obvious, but since no one has mentioned it in the posts I've read, I figure it's worth a shot since faulty/overloaded wiring & circuits can be a source of system instability.

Installing windows on the new mobo....

btw this is my first time using an asus, and wow im impressed. So many features.

Well, just got a call. Its still doing it. Absolutely amazing...

Tried diff processor, memory, motherboard, power supply. This has been the build from hell. Its now doing the same exact thing. How is this possible?

Well, just got a call. Its still doing it. Absolutely amazing...

Tried diff processor, memory, motherboard, power supply. This has been the build from hell. Its now doing the same exact thing. How is this possible?

Shorting out on the case perhaps.

It has to be the case.. everything else has been swapped..

I've heard many people have problems with the power switch shorting.. I mean you've ran the computer outside of your case and it still shuts down...

What I Would do:
I would disconnect the reset/pwr wires from the motherboard and then boot the computer by shorting the two pins where the power (Jumper/Wire?) should be...

BUT WAIT!!! I haven't ever done that before..can anybody verify my advice? I correct in my methodology - I believe I've read this on this forum before..

jeez you either have really bad luck or are making some sort of simple mistake that is being overlooked. heres what u should do:

find a surface that isnt metal or cloth where u can set up the system without a case without the chance of it shorting or getting static. Set up JUST the motherboard with the cpu and ram, and use the onboard video. powersupply is needed of course as well. turn it on and let it sit in the BIOS for 6 hours.

if this works, then hook up the HDD (outside of the case) and install windows. let it run for 24 hours if u can.

then if all is well, put it in the case.

It could also have been the hdd shorting some how, or just a bad hdd and it shorting the psu. I dont know. just trying to help.

Last night, before I even read these posts, I figured id try to see if it would run just in bios, no hd or anything else. This is using my personal pc's memory just to be sure. So that means the new asus mobo, cpu, BOTH of my powersupplys, and memory. I woke up this morning and it was off. Go to turn it on and it turns off, and turns back on.

Before that, yesterday, I was in windows and ran a disk check and it was fine.

(THIS IS ALL OUTSIDE THE CASE BTW)

So...
I am using a brand new asus mobo
my memory and the memory i bought for this pc
the 2nd psu i bought for this pc, plus my extra psu at my house for testing purposes
the original cpu (but remember i swapped my cpu in its place on the old board, and it still was turning off)
Tried playing with the pw, making sure its on the right one...swapping it
The mobo temp and cpu temps stay around 25- 32 C
This happens in all power sockets around my house
This is outside the case, on a wood desk
It now turns back on again, before it stopped doing that and would only turn off.

grrr, I even made a narrated video of this "build from hell", but cant find my cable to upload the footage. Maybe tonight

You officially have the [H]ard OCP "Build From Hell" title all to yourself. ;)

Switch to an AMD system is your next move. :D

Wow I feel for you man, I just read this entire thread and thats 1 fucked up build. :(

I would suggest at this point return everything and go buy a pre built from somewhere that fits your needs/budget. I'm not kidding, theres no way in the world I would have gone through all that. At this point screw it and get a working system, one thats problem free. If you look around I bet you can get a system from a builder thats close to what you spent on parts from the egg or maybe a little more; but wel worth the added cost of not having to deal with all this BS dude.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Savoy, I would of done exactly that but I cant return the cpu, and a few other parts. Its part of Neweggs rules.

Im perplexed on how my cpu in the old board still would shutdown the system, but now with a new board, its still doing it. I mean so know the cpu works, because it died on my good cpu. We know the psu is good, because I have tried 3 others. The mobo must be good, because this is the 3rd one. (2 of the same gigabytes, and this asus). And the memory from my personal pc, which we know works.

I wish I could get rid of all this crap, and just pick up a dell for them. Trust me, i have spent way too much time playing with this thing. Behind in my classes and at my internship. Its really frustrating.

10 mins ago, I redid everything. Cpu in the mobo, mobo on desk, working psu on desk, hooked up, booted to bios, let it stay in hardware montior, 10 mins later its on but not in bios, which meants it restarted itself.

If i wanted to right now, I can hook up the hd, boot into vista, run it fine for a given amount of time, say 15 mins, and then it will turn off or restart.

Digging for straws here.....

USB devices.. I assume a keyboard and a mouse? Have you swapped them out? I had a faulty USB port back in the day and it would actually trip my PSU.

Is there a fan on the CPU that is actually spinning fast enough to register? Some motherboards monitor the CPU fan's RPM and shut down if it gets too slow.

Back