Build for server/ESX box

JDMs14

Limp Gawd
Looking to build an ESX/VMware Server box to run a number of VM's for development work..Naturally I won't be purchasing any hardcore server hardware for this as it will be run in my basement on my own personal budget.

Adequate memory is my main concern, I'm thinking of going with this setup:

P35-DS3R (I have one in my current rig...works great..but also up for alternatives with RAID?)
Q6600 - getting relatively cheap...more than enough power I would imagine
4 X 2GB DDR2-667 - Also extremely cheap
Generic video card
500W PSU - any recommendations? Not up to date on quality PSU's
Generic case

I saw the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 which has 4 gigabit NICS...which would be awesome since I will be adding a few NICs to the box (was just going to go with PCI/PCIe NICs). But the price is pretty hefty...

So any suggestions?

- What's your total budget for this server?
- How much storage are you looking for? Or in other words, how many drives do you think you'll need?

PSU wise, I recommend this PSU since it's a bit cheaper than many quality 500W PSUs out there yet there is no quality loss:
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU - $80

- What's your total budget for this server?
- How much storage are you looking for? Or in other words, how many drives do you think you'll need?

PSU wise, I recommend this PSU since it's a bit cheaper than many quality 500W PSUs out there yet there is no quality loss:
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU - $80

I'd like to stay in the $500 range...a bit of overage isn't a concern though. For storage I was looking at 2x 500GB in RAID1...performance isn't a huge concern here, just the integrity of the data. Of course the potential for expanding is there too.

I'll check out that PSU, thanks! :)

Back