• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build delimma

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
1,848
I'm going to be building a new gaming machine in the next few months and am needing some help figuring out what could be the best bang for buck in my situation.

Although the rig in my sig is competent, it is what it is. I did a quick budget build a number of months back, with the intention of doing upgrades too it overtime, but now I'm thinking I'd like to build an Intel based system.

My dad has offered me a brand new Asus P7P65 WS Supercomputer so that is somewhat swaying my decision. I originally wanted to get the 930 and move to triple channel but I'm not seeing how that is going to help at all with gaming. So I've decided that going 1136/i5 may be the smartest/best bang for buck upgrade when considering gaming.

I'm not beyond the realm of throwing together an AMD machine based on a Thuban but I'm thinking the i5 quad will just have more legs.

The less money I spend on CPU/Mobo/Ram means more for video card(s). I guess that's the big dilemma...What would be the best bang for buck upgrade from my x2 allowing me a signifgnt boost in CPU but allowing the most money to be put towards vid cards???

btw, I'm giving 100 for the board.
 
The more cost-effective upgrade would be the AMD Phenom II 955 BE. While yes the Core i5 750 is faster than the AMD Phenom II 955 BE, it's not gonna be worth the extra $145 to $160 that you need to spend on the i5 and the motherboard.

So your best bet would be the Phenom II 955 CPU upgrade. That's it. That should allow for more money to be diverted to the cards.
 
The more cost-effective upgrade would be the AMD Phenom II 955 BE. While yes the Core i5 750 is faster than the AMD Phenom II 955 BE, it's not gonna be worth the extra $145 to $160 that you need to spend on the i5 and the motherboard.

So your best bet would be the Phenom II 955 CPU upgrade. That's it. That should allow for more money to be diverted to the cards.
This makes so much sense, but, this system is on the tail end of a budget build. Would you not think that the i5 would have $150 dollars worth of legs more than the Phenom II?? I may be wrong, as I haven't ever compared the 2 side by side.

One of the other reasons I'm wanting to go with Intel is so that I can sli 460 gt's. I know that Intel pretty much destroys AMD at lower resolutions. I'm going to be getting a 1680x1050 monitor so that even leans me more torward the Intel build. I know you mentioned cost effective and while it may be the MOST cost effective, the i5 road is not far behind.
 
This makes so much sense, but, this system is on the tail end of a budget build. Would you not think that the i5 would have $150 dollars worth of legs more than the Phenom II?? I may be wrong, as I haven't ever compared the 2 side by side. .

If you were doing a new build, the difference is only $50. As such I would have recommneded the i5 then. The extra performance offered by the i5 750 is not worth an extra $150. You still have a working mobo that's compatible with the Phenom II 955 BE.

As for the SLI query, for 1680x1050, GTX 460 SLI is a bit of a waste of money. Considering that you can easily put that $150 towards a newer and faster GPU as well the money you would spend on a second GTX 460, not much reason to go for SLI at 1680x1050. Especially since AMD's new cards are due out in a close to a month.

To repeat myself: the i5 750 does not have $150 worth of legs over the Phenom II 955 BE. In addition, unless you have a resolution of 1920x1080, GTX 460 SLI is not worth it.
 
If you were doing a new build, the difference is only $50. As such I would have recommneded the i5 then. The extra performance offered by the i5 750 is not worth an extra $150. You still have a working mobo that's compatible with the Phenom II 955 BE.

As for the SLI query, for 1680x1050, GTX 460 SLI is a bit of a waste of money. Considering that you can easily put that $150 towards a newer and faster GPU as well the money you would spend on a second GTX 460, not much reason to go for SLI at 1680x1050. Especially since AMD's new cards are due out in a close to a month.

To repeat myself: the i5 750 does not have $150 worth of legs over the Phenom II 955 BE. In addition, unless you have a resolution of 1920x1080, GTX 460 SLI is not worth it.
haha. Hmm, well I looked at some comparisons and it seems that the i5 isn't much faster than the PII.
 
Back
Top