• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build Advise/Recommendation

evox5

n00b
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
10
Hi all,

I recently posted a thread where I received an Asus computer and was going to use that as a platform to build on. Well, that did not goes as planned and I sent the Asus computer back to the store.

For $500, it had the following:
- Processor: Intel Core i5-650 3.2 GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P7H55
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Hard drive: Seagate 7200 1TB
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
- Optical drive: Super Multi DVD-RW DL
- Case with 400w power supply

Then I added the following afterwards:
- BFG EX1000 PSU for $60

So all together, I had a system without a good videocard for $560. I was looking to buy a Nvidia 460 1GB for around say $240. So all together with shipping and tax, I was looking at a build cost of $800

The store is out of stock of the unit and the other stores has the unit for $560 and up. $60 isn't enough to make me look away BUT I thought, can I build a comparable system from scratch that included what I had before(look above)?

I need your guys and gals expertise in trying to find a system or advise on a build that could fit my budget of less than $1000 for the following criterias:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
- Mostly gaming, then photo editing, process photos in large batches, web browsing and watching movies.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
- Under $1000 including tax and shipping

3) Where do you live?
- California

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
- CPU
- Motherboard
- Memory
- Video card(looking at the Nvidia 460 1GB)
- Harddrive(prefer 1TB and up)
- Optical drive(DVD-RW, no need for blue-ray).

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
- Generic mid-size case
- BFG EX1000 PSU
- Coolmaster 120mm case fans

6) Will you be overclocking?
- No

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
- Sceptre 22"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
- Now or maybe wait till AMD/ATI releases their new products as there is an option to use AMD and ATI parts.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
- Onboard sound, PCI express slot, USB ports, just the essentials.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
- No

That's about it. If I forgot anything, I'll update the list but in the meantime, I'll continue to look around and build a system for myself. Any advises or suggestions would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Do you live near a Microcenter?
What case do you have? i.e do you have a pic of it?
 
LOL! I have that exact case right now as my file server. But I had to do some modding to that case just to get it to cool right. Even then there's still some space issues as well some heat issues here and there. As such, I recommend getting a new case.

$195 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU
$105 - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 mATX Motherboard
$165 - Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$230 - Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$69 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$24 - LG IHAS424-98 DVD Burner
$60 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
-----
Total: $948 shipped

The i5 750 CPU is a significantly better buy than the i5 650 since it's a quad-core CPU. The i5 650 is only $15 cheaper than the i5 750. As such the i5 650 is a piss poor buy for the money. The Samsung F3 1TB drive is faster than the Seagate.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Danny for the recommedation and will consider it. I'll play around with it and see if I can make it cheaper because you know, cheaper is better :D And I mean trying to find other places that may have the parts cheaper. Your recommendation was very similar I was trying to build earlier except for that I was using 4GB of memory. But the more I think about it, 4GB doesn't seem enough.
 
Just a FYI, Amazon.com doesn't charge tax to CA residents. Hence why I used Amazon for all of those links.
 
Understood and do appreciate that. Also Amazon has free shipping for a lot items too.

I'll do some more research and hopefully get a system built and ordered soon.
 
I noticed that Fry's has a AMD X4 955 for sale at $99.

Would shaving some expenses by going with the AMD be a worth while path? To me, ~$100 difference isn't a total deal breaker but the other side of me wants to stay be inexpensive as possible ;)

To give an insight on where I'm coming from, I had the previous rig:
- AMD X2 3600+ Brisebane 1.9ghz @ 2.8ghz
- G.skill 1x2GB PC6400
- BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
- WD 500GB

I was happy with that setup and didn't have much problem until after using it for 2 years but it become occasionally unstable hence why I don't feel like overclocking with a new rig.

Also, my old rig was "stolen" hence why I need to build a new system. I'm the type of person that builds a system and keeps it as long as possibility until it's necessary to upgrade. So I feel the Intel platform will outlast the AMD in my situation.

I shall think of this more but being indecisive and cheap makes building a system difficult :(
 
I shall think of this more but being indecisive and cheap makes building a system difficult :(

WEll I can't really help you with that issue as that's a personal dilemma.

But before you go for the AMD Phenom II X4 route, make sure that your local Fry's actually has that CPU. Many times, Fry's will run out of a CPU or CPU+mobo combo deal by around 2PM of the day that deal was announced.
 
If you want a quad-core w/o HT then the 760 @ MicroCenter is $170. If you want an HT dual-core then the 540 is only $100. If you move up to socket 1366 the Core i7 930 is only $200. Decide how much processor you want, and once you know it'll be way simpler. You could possibly squeeze the i7 800 series into your budget for a lot more future-proofing.

Possibly the cheapest source for CPUshttp://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966995
 
If you want a quad-core w/o HT then the 760 @ MicroCenter is $170. If you want an HT dual-core then the 540 is only $100. If you move up to socket 1366 the Core i7 930 is only $200. Decide how much processor you want, and once you know it'll be way simpler. You could possibly squeeze the i7 800 series into your budget for a lot more future-proofing.

Possibly the cheapest source for CPUshttp://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966995

Assuming that the MC site is accurate, MC does not have any more of the i5 760 in both of the stores in California where the OP lives. The i7 930 may be cheap but the platform costs is still rather high.
 
Assuming that the MC site is accurate, MC does not have any more of the i5 760 in both of the stores in California where the OP lives. The i7 930 may be cheap but the platform costs is still rather high.

What that all means is that if the OP wants an LGA 1156 Intel setup at this time, he would have to settle for a pricier i7-870 at $230 or a dual-core CPU.
 
From the research I have done so far based on Danny's recommendations, it looks a solid system that will last for a long time. I'm going to pull the trigger very soon.

I never had experience with a case that had the power supply on the bottom and I'm trying to figure out how to setup (4) 120mm fans for that case. Was thinking:
- 120mm front intake
- 120mm bottom side intake
- 120mm rear exhaust
- 120mm top exhaust

Would that an "ok" fan configuration?

I'm also contemplating if I should ditch the stock HSF and get a Cooler Master 212 or TX3. I have done overclocking before and I even though I say I won't overclock with the new rig, I might just do it anyways. It's hard to resist overclocking for some reason.
 
Ok fan configuration.

Figure out whether or not you're gonna OC. If OCing, that means different motherboard and different set of RAM. That also means higher costs.
 
If it's going to be higher cost, it'll be out of my budget. That's fine. The rig that you recommended will be a noticeable upgrade over my previous rig and I'll be happy with that.

Thanks for the help and I look forward of enjoying my new rig :)
 
Back
Top