Hello,
First post here at [H]ard|forum. Hope I can get a bit of advice because I have not been keeping up with hardware like I have in the past. Just thinking about putting together a whole new build:
1. Gaming, Media Center, Photoshop, general use
2. Approximately $2,000.00 USD
3. Colorado
4. Will be purchasing a new system sans keyboard/mouse/monitor. Will be purchasing a CPU / RAM / Motherboard / Disk Drives / Optical Drive / Power Supply / Case
5. I will be purchasing a new case, but plan on using my Antec P182 for this build. I will put the new parts in the Antec and the old parts into the newly purchased case.
6. Yes, I plan to overclock the CPU
7. 24" LCD, runs at 1920x1200 resolution and I prefer to run my desktop and all games at that resolution
8. Plan on buying and building now, most likely from the Egg
9. I have never used RAID on a home PC, so I would like to dabble with a RAID 5 array, and have support for SLI or Crossfire
10. Legit copy of Windows 7 x64 Home Edition and Vista x64 Ultimate, plan on using Windows 7
My current rig is Intel/Nvidia. I was thinking it would be fun to go with AMD/ATI this time around. I don't see the need to go with SLI or Crossfire right out of the gates but I'd like to have the option to add a second GPU within a year. I was hoping to have 8 GB of ram. Also, I wanted a RAID 5 array with three 1TB drives. I'll probably just use a regular drive for the OS (no raid) but I don't know yet.
Here is what I've been eyeballing:
CPU AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849-
MoBo Asus Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231329
PSU Rosewill RGD-1000 1000W Continuous @50°C,80 PLUS Gold Certified, Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91,SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182235
CASE Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Panel Window, comes with Four Fans
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147145
Video XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150490
Disks (4) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
Optical Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-205BKS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051
Cooler ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020
Is it a mistake not to go with Intel?
Is it a mistake not to go with Nvidia?
People crap on Rosewill PSU's, but that one is new and gold certified. I realize it isn't the best 1000W PSU. Is it dumb to not spend another 100 bucks for a quality PSU? Do I need greater than 1000W for SLI/Crossfire in the future?
Is the HSF/cooler dated now? Is there a better model I should be looking at? I figure it will get me a good overclock but I can't really say what made me choose that cooler.
First post here at [H]ard|forum. Hope I can get a bit of advice because I have not been keeping up with hardware like I have in the past. Just thinking about putting together a whole new build:
1. Gaming, Media Center, Photoshop, general use
2. Approximately $2,000.00 USD
3. Colorado
4. Will be purchasing a new system sans keyboard/mouse/monitor. Will be purchasing a CPU / RAM / Motherboard / Disk Drives / Optical Drive / Power Supply / Case
5. I will be purchasing a new case, but plan on using my Antec P182 for this build. I will put the new parts in the Antec and the old parts into the newly purchased case.
6. Yes, I plan to overclock the CPU
7. 24" LCD, runs at 1920x1200 resolution and I prefer to run my desktop and all games at that resolution
8. Plan on buying and building now, most likely from the Egg
9. I have never used RAID on a home PC, so I would like to dabble with a RAID 5 array, and have support for SLI or Crossfire
10. Legit copy of Windows 7 x64 Home Edition and Vista x64 Ultimate, plan on using Windows 7
My current rig is Intel/Nvidia. I was thinking it would be fun to go with AMD/ATI this time around. I don't see the need to go with SLI or Crossfire right out of the gates but I'd like to have the option to add a second GPU within a year. I was hoping to have 8 GB of ram. Also, I wanted a RAID 5 array with three 1TB drives. I'll probably just use a regular drive for the OS (no raid) but I don't know yet.
Here is what I've been eyeballing:
CPU AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849-
MoBo Asus Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231329
PSU Rosewill RGD-1000 1000W Continuous @50°C,80 PLUS Gold Certified, Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91,SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182235
CASE Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Panel Window, comes with Four Fans
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147145
Video XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150490
Disks (4) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
Optical Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-205BKS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051
Cooler ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020
Is it a mistake not to go with Intel?
Is it a mistake not to go with Nvidia?
People crap on Rosewill PSU's, but that one is new and gold certified. I realize it isn't the best 1000W PSU. Is it dumb to not spend another 100 bucks for a quality PSU? Do I need greater than 1000W for SLI/Crossfire in the future?
Is the HSF/cooler dated now? Is there a better model I should be looking at? I figure it will get me a good overclock but I can't really say what made me choose that cooler.