• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Budget sound cards

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
9,108
I'm tired of onboard audio. I sick of settling for MileFast 2D audio when playing Total War. I want to hear how the game was meant to be played (sorry, nvidia...)

I have the Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 speaker system, and I know they're capable of much more than what my Realtek onboard audio gives them credit for. Not looking to break the bank, just need something that's in the $30-$50 range. The only sound cards I've ever had were Creative cards, but I'm sure there's better out there. Recommend away!

Quick question: If I get a 7.1 sound card, will I have any problems?

I appreciate the help. :)
 
I was looking at the first one before. I shouldn't have any problems with 5.1 speakers on a 7.1 card, right? I'm sure it will work, but I'm hoping for no gaps in the sound. For instance, when playing CS:S in 5.1 mode and headphones, there are gaps in the sound if someone shooting at me directly from behind. I don't want the same gaps if I'm using 5.1 on a 7.1 card.
 
It shouldn't be a problem, although it would be nice for more info from the audio experts on the forum.

FWIW my last 2 cards were the X-fi and Audigy 2 ZS which supposedly supported 7.1 but i plugged in my 5.1 speakers and had no problems with either. Also have 2 friends with the Z-5500s on their X-fi's and they work flawlessly.
 
Back
Top