• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget server build for games

Suxen

n00b
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
59
Hi there, I am looking for a budget server build that can host 2 orangebox games per core. This is for a small gaming community. I was planning to go all out, but we decided to go with a cheaper budget build.

I have the operating system, keyboard, monitor, and harddrive already and I just need the chassis, psu, memory, cpu, and motherboard. Right now, intel or amd does not matter, I am looking for cheap around $600-700.

Current build:

$179.99 ASUS P7F-X LGA 1156http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131596

$180 i5 760


$159.98 2x Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139040

$89.99 Norco RPC-170 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219026&Tpk=Norco%20RPC-170

Total $609.93


I am wondering if the six core AMD Thuban is a good alternative?

thanks guys!
 
anyone? What do you guys think of running desktop motherboards in server applications? It needs to be 99.9% of the time.
 
If uptime is key, get a server class motherboard. Stick with Supermicro motherboards for quality and good support.

With that said, some desktop motherboards will be fine for 24/7 server usage provided that they're adequately cooled and maintained.

Also, might want to contact a mod to move this thread over to the Networking & Security subforum. This type of thread is more suited over there.
 
anyone? What do you guys think of running desktop motherboards in server applications? It needs to be 99.9% of the time.

ASUS server boards are solid, but stay away from desktop boards. Supermicro has some nice IPMI management options built in to the motherboard too.
 
Back
Top