Budget pc

Fel

Limp Gawd
Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

Linkworld A617-01FFU+P08 Beige / Silver MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply

Linkworld A617-01FFU+P08 Beige / Silver MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811164138
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$24.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136075

$39.49

Foxconn M61PMP-K AM3 NVIDIA MCP61P Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Foxconn M61PMP-K AM3 NVIDIA MCP61P Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813186189

-$3.00 Instant

$46.99
$43.99

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Black RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Black RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse - Retail
Item #: N82E16823126041

-$3.00 Instant

$31.99
$28.99

Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT12864BA1339

Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT12864BA1339 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820148196
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

-$3.00 Instant

$27.99
$24.99

BELKIN WaveRest F8E244-BLK Black Gel Wrist Pad

BELKIN WaveRest F8E244-BLK Black Gel Wrist Pad - Retail
Item #: N82E16817114117

$8.99

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor Model SDX140HBGQBOX

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor Model SDX140HBGQBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103698
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$32.99

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106325

does all this look compatible? been a while since ive built from scratch

Foxconn's CPU support list site isn't working at this point so can't comment if that CPU + Mobo is compatible.

I see a blu-ray player. Is this a HTPC of some sorts? If planning on watching HD content such as Blu-ray, that system would be too slow to do so.

I would check the system requirements of PowerDVD 9 to see what you'd need for that Blu-ray drive. I'm guessing it's 2GB of RAM and a dual-core.

not very good bang for buck with those parts. answer the sticky and we can probably find something better.

Foxconn's CPU support list site isn't working at this point so can't comment if that CPU + Mobo is compatible.

I see a blu-ray player. Is this a HTPC of some sorts? If planning on watching HD content such as Blu-ray, that system would be too slow to do so.

yeah didnt think of that, ill just get a dvd drive.

as cheap as possible.. just want to browse the web.

not very good bang for buck with those parts. answer the sticky and we can probably find something better.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?as cheap as possible
3) Where do you live? south US
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific. everything in the tower
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 22''
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? today

already have OS.

ive already specified i dont want a netbook

Now I know why: All currently produced netbooks come only with Windows 7 Starter, which does not support optical media at all whatsoever. As such, you cannot burn DVDs or even watch movies or listen to music from disc.

Also, in the original list, I see only 1GB of total RAM for your system. That might be OK for a pre-SP2 version of Windows XP (and SP2 will no longer be supported by Microsoft after July 13 of this year, which means no more new security fixes for that version of the OS - and this will leave your system wide open for viruses and other malware because the antivirus companies will also stop supporting that OS). But if you expect to run Windows 7 on that system, you'll need at least 2GB of RAM even for 32-bit Win7. I know; running Windows 7 on a system with only 1GB of single-channel memory is like running Windows XP with only 256MB of RAM.

By the way, that Acer Aspire Revo 1600 linked to a few posts back runs Windows XP Home Edition with SP3. (SP3 will be the only Microsoft-supported version of Windows XP after July 13 of this year.) It does not come with an optical disc reader or writer out of the box, although you can add an external USB DVD writer. The next model up (if you want to spend a little more), the Revo 3600, runs 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. And although they share similar characteristics with netbooks, they are in fact micro-tower desktops. And since they are micro-tower desktops rather than true netbooks, you will need to add a monitor to either model.

And speaking of monitors, I assume that you have an old monitor that you want to use with your new low-end system. You might want to get a new monitor since that old monitor of yours might be an el-cheapo 14" or 15" CRT monitor which would likely perform poorly at resolutions above 800x600 or even 640x480. Such cheap small CRTs can be set to display 1024x768 - but at an eye-strainingly low refresh rate (and then, the image quality is often extremely fuzzy at that resolution). And newer operating systems generally require a monitor which can comfortably handle at least 1024x768 resolution.

Last edited:
ive already specified i dont want a netbook

Did you even click the link? It's not a netbook its a net top which is a very small desktop. I don't see how you can be so picky when it is perfect for your needs.

The problem with your build is that you won't have enough processing power to watch BluRay movies. In other words, both the CPU and GPU choices you made are too weak. If you don't have a GPU that can handle the HD encoding/decoding, then you need a CPU powerful enough to handle that task -- you chose neither. The Dell Danny recommended is a much faster dual core CPU (Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz; 68% faster than the Sempron 140, according to Passmark) and comes with 2GB of RAM -- definitely enough to decode HD movies -- but it doesn't come with a BD drive. :( Since you don't want a Net-top (not a netbook), here's some changes that can help your build play BD movies:

$58 - Biostar A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX
$58 - Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3-1333 CT2KIT12864BA1339
$61 - AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3
=========
$177

Your cpu/mobo/ram choices total at $102, so these changes will cost $75 more ($340 total). Though, I'd highly recommend also getting a better PSU than what comes with that Linkworld case, which would bump it up to $385 total:
$44 - FSP Group FSP300-60GHS-R 300W MicroATX 80 PLUS

Of course, if you're not even planning on watching Blu-Ray movies, then those nettop boxes suggested above are better choices than building a cheap desktop.

The problem with your build is that you won't have enough processing power to watch BluRay movies. In other words, both the CPU and GPU choices you made are too weak. If you don't have a GPU that can handle the HD encoding/decoding, then you need a CPU powerful enough to handle that task -- you chose neither. The Dell Danny recommended is a much faster dual core CPU (Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz; 68% faster than the Sempron 140, according to Passmark) and comes with 2GB of RAM -- definitely enough to decode HD movies -- but it doesn't come with a BD drive. :( Since you don't want a Net-top (not a netbook), here's some changes that can help your build play BD movies:

$58 - Biostar A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX
$58 - Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3-1333 CT2KIT12864BA1339
$61 - AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3
=========
$177

Your cpu/mobo/ram choices total at $102, so these changes will cost $75 more ($340 total). Though, I'd highly recommend also getting a better PSU than what comes with that Linkworld case, which would bump it up to $385 total:
$44 - FSP Group FSP300-60GHS-R 300W MicroATX 80 PLUS

Of course, if you're not even planning on watching Blu-Ray movies, then those nettop boxes suggested above are better choices than building a cheap desktop.

I agree with the recommendations in this quote. If the OP goes the nettop direction, then he will need an external USB DVD drive if he wants to watch any standard-definition movies on disc since none is included. But be very wary of some nettops which run only Windows 7 Starter Edition: That version of that OS does not support optical disk drives at all whatsoever - and third-party DVD or BD software will not even run at all on that OS. Worse, the OP will not be able to even install, let alone use, software of his own choice if a CD or DVD is required for installation since Windows 7 Starter does not support this function.

that nettop looks good.. all i need is a monitor and im good to go? im fine with whatever os.. this is just for internet.

edit:bought it

Last edited:
Back