budget networking solution for 16 pc's.

rxteenager

Gawd
Hey guys well I got a friend who is setting up a business. He needs me to help him set up his network which will consist of 1 server for running file and printer stuff and other 15 client pc's. Well his budget is really low just like 100 bucks for any networking equipment. I looked into getting him a hub but all the one's I see have just 8x rj45 connections. I'm new to switches and stuff, i have seen some cheap switches with 16 rj45 connections. I found this on newegg, but i never used one... would one of these work? Lets say i hook up the switch i linked, can i then set it up to share the connection?

If anyone can point me towards another solution please all help is welcomed. This is the first time i'll be networking these many pc's and i'm looking forward to it.

What ever you do, do NOT use a hub...worst idea ever :D Any switch, even the cheapest switch, will give you better performance than a hub. With that many PCs, I'd highly recommend some type of managed switch. This will put you over your $100 limit but you can pick up a Dell web managed for just a little more money, and it will be worth every penny.

TONs of inexpensive 24x port 10/100 switches for that budget these days.

IMO for under 50x PCs...especially for under 24x PCs...I hardly see the need of a managed switch.

Including keeping it in that price range..since you mention a server...search for a switch with 1x or 2x gigabit ports...so you can feed your server into that..and provide better performance for the rest of your 10/100 network.

You can find Cisco 24/48 port 10/100 switches with a couple of gigabit ports on Ebay for well under $100. You can find cheaper 16-port gigabit switches for under $100 generally too. Especially if you use the live.com 25% off thing.

Dell Powerconnect is the cheapest switch I get for business.

Not putting you down or anything, but you should try and find someone who knows networking who can help you guys out. Since this is a business application, the last thing you want to do is assume or over estimate something.

I have this switch installed at one of my clients, and it is rock solid. I haven't had any issues with it ever. Also, keep in mind that you will need to buy cabling (or make your own). We don't know the length you will need, but the longer the runs, the more expensive the cable. You may hit your $100 ceiling very quickly.

One more thing, I'd suggest atleast a 24 port switch. Nothing worse than putting in new equipment that is already 100% maxed. Also, some other things to consider, is there going to be any printers? (there's another port), any kind of wireless (another port), any type of conference room (another port), IP phones (many more ports), etc. Like I said, I think you should consider something more than a 16 port.

Switches arent too expensive for a 24 port 10/100 ! And if your willing to spend a litte bit more id recomend something managed, or even a gigabit switch!

Back