Budget Machine

computer

Weaksauce
Is it cheaper to build a basic budget computer (say around $400 give or take $50 for everything, including Windows; also, no access to a microcenter or frys) or purchase one from a company like dell/hp? The computer in question would be for checking email, browsing, and running solitaire.

Also, would there be any noticeable difference between, say, an amd athlon II x2 and a sandy bridge pentium?

for $400 you can play most of the games on highest setting. lol...

for the purposes you mention, what's wrong with the computer you're on now?

Don't be like my dad and build a $1k computer just to "listen to music and play Free Cell"

For that kind of usage and price range, it's more cost-effective to buy a Dell or other prebuilt PCs.

For the usage you're talking about, I doubt there'd be much noticeable difference between a SB and Athlon II CPU.

Is it cheaper to build a basic budget computer (say around $400 give or take $50 for everything, including Windows; also, no access to a microcenter or frys) or purchase one from a company like dell/hp? The computer in question would be for checking email, browsing, and running solitaire.

As Danny noted, you're better off with a pre-built even though its included CPU and mobo may be of an old-generation platform. Here are the reason(s) why:

1) The least-expensive Sandy Bridge i3-2100 build that isn't entirely crappy (which means that it is more than adequate for basic uses) already costs more than $400 just for the components alone - and that does not include an OS, software or monitor.

2) Even if you can get non-shitty components plus the OS for that low, you'd still have to deal with the hassle of contacting dozens of different companies just for technical support (instead of just one if you got a pre-built PC).

Back