• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget camera for dirt cheap please

Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
613
"I am a college student and have very little money." Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I am looking for a CHEAP digital camera that will be decent. When I mean cheap I mean around the $100 area. I don't care about megapixels, just decent picture quality no matter what the situation. I don't really need any features, just as long as I can maybe do the occasional zoom or change some brightness settings, thats it. Must have an lcd screen (obiviously) and decent battery life, li-ion, AAA or otherwise. Hopefully it is one that won't crap out on me after a few months. The only digital camera I owned (which I got for free) was slow and had like a 15 minute battery life cycle, abyssmal to say the least. Then somehow the focus went bad and all the pictures were blurry. I've messed with camera phone pictures and I have a camera on my pda. Boy do I crave for something that I can put on the internet without feeling utterly ashamed of.

Can anyone help me out here? Any recommendations would really be appreciated.
 
You're not going to find much at all for $100... Olympus might have a couple for ~$130, but you can get some nicer cameras once you spend $150+
 
I would say save a little until you can buy a decent camera. Does not help if you blow $100 on crap. To bad you did not post earlier. I sold one of my older 3mp camera for $80.
 
Well i just saw the Kodak Easyshare advertised for around $100. Not sure on how good it is though. You might hit http://dpreview.com and, see what kind of review it gets from users and, the tester. That is about all I can come up with.
 
Do what I did. Find someone who was going to throw a perfectly fine camera into oncoming traffic and buy it off them.

I got my Fuji E510 for $50 NZ (well, really $100....but I haven't paid the other $50 yet....) with a good pair of lithium batteries and a 64meg card...

Buying used is your best bet I would think.
 
Well I guess I will have to save a bit. There are sub $100 digital cameras at newegg but I would guess they aren't worth the hassle of messing with. With some constraints loosened, what would you recommend in the 150-200 range? Preferably 150, or whatever has the best value.
 
you can pick up a cannon a60 for cheap on ebay

i have the a60 and i love it, the picture quality is great, and you can change any settings you want including iso, aperature, and shutter speed. it works great, and 4 aa batteries last a long time in it

one year after i got my a60 my sister got a a75 and about 6 moths later my mom bought a a95, all three have been amazing, if you want some example pics that i have taken check out this page. i am not a good photographer, but i think these pics came out really nice. http://www.slackerserver.com/photos/index.php?cat=2
 
I was thinking of getting the canon a410 as people have been saying the a510 and a520 have excruciatingly slow flash and lag times. How much better would that be and would the downgrade really be noticeable for an average person like myself?
 
Whatever your purchase, get one with an optical zoom...a camera that has only digital zoom is the hallmark of a crap camera. Nikon and Canon are the top of the list, but for $100, eBay is your best bet. Don't settle for a crappy camera, you'll kick yourself for it.
 
Go to where i will usually find my cameras, your local pawn shop. Have bought two good ones, HP 850 and R707. The 850 was about 1 1/2 yr ago for $200 including a 256mb SD card and carrying case. The R707 5.1mp about 3/4 months ago with a 128mb SD card/battery for $100. but it had no charger. was able to get one from HP(free). U just have to know what to look for and at what price.
 
I woul rather have a new one then deal with the mishaps ofr a used one that came from a pawn shop. I guess you have to take some risks on the cheap but I rather just not have one then
.
 
i can understand that. but, if you know what you are looking for and have the right information on the the specific camera then checking out the camera at the store shouldn't be a problem. Also u can inquire about their return policy. The used HP R707 has been very good and also i was able to register the camera getting warranty for it. Buying new saves you a lot of headaches but buying used can save u money u know how to shop and check out the item before buying.
 
Back
Top