BSOD on boot from recovery disc

IcarusSC

Gawd
A friend brings me her laptop, which is giving a BSOD (0x00000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) when she starts into Windows (XP). I try safe mode and Last Known Good; no luck. I pop in my own XP disc, but get the same BSOD error as soon as it's finished loading the drivers. I can't even get to the recovery console.

I have a portable installation of Linux, which I can load up just fine. I run a memory test and a disk test, and both come back clean, so it doesn't seem to be hardware. I can also load up the Win7 install disc, but (I suppose because of version differences) I can't automatically repair the existing XP install.

Two more things: whoever put the thing together stuck Ghost on it. I'm not sure how that will affect my attempt to rebuild the boot sector. Also, my friend speaks Chinese, and her computer is partly in Chinese, which I can't read.

Any suggestions, short of killing it and starting over again? I was thinking of doing a fixboot and fixmbr from the Win7 disc, but I'm afraid of breaking it.

Thank you for any and all ideas!

Maybe the BIOS has the sata mode set to AHCI, you might need to change this to IDE or Compatable for the CD to load fully with out the BSOD

You are awesome and 100% correct. Thank you!!!! Why does that make a difference? I looked up AHCI, but nothing in the articles I read explained why it would have caused the crash.

AHCI mode uses different drivers which are not built-in to WinXP.

So it has to take data from the HDD boot sector, which causes it to crash?

Windows tries to load, and loads up the regular SATA IDE drivers.

But because the BIOS is configured for AHCI, Windows cannot load because it is not loading the correct drivers.

This causes the BSOD.

Back