BSOD corrupts OS

inglewood78

[H]ard|Gawd
I've read that frequent BSODs corrupts the OS and for anything more than 4-5 BSODs, one should reinstall the OS to minimize instability. Is this true?

I've pushed my computer hard with overclocking and have gotten frequent BSODs when trying to find a stable overclock.

a BSOD, in and of itself, should not cause corruption. Now, if the BSOD is because of hdd corruption, that's one thing. It could also be BSOD'ing due to a faulty hdd controller causing corruption.

but a BSOD caused by a bad driver; no. A BSOD caused by a faulty/failing piece of hardware? Unless it's a hdd, hdd controller, possibly RAM, no.

When experimenting to find a stable overclock, you should consider your OS expendable. Even without a BSOD, an unstable overclock can cause errors with your data. When unstable, the CPU can have errors such as 1+1=3 or the RAM can corrupt data. All of this can introduce errors into the stored files which can cause instability later on down the line even after you have found a stable overclock.

When I first build a system, the first OS installation is only temporary and I don't bother installing most of my software while I overclock the system and test for instability. Once I have found a stable overclock I will wipe the drive and then install the OS with all of my software for permanent use.

Where ever you read that from....stopping reading from that source. A BSoD can be caused by many reasons, and most of them have nothing to do with a corrupt system. Like SmokeRngs said, you should consider the OS as a throw away when testing out an OC'ed system. Install the OS, load up your basic drivers, and then find a stable level before you activate and load it up with the rest of your software.

...and then find a stable level before you activate and load it up with the rest of your software.

Or what I like to do is load the OS at stock settings and activate and run a backup. Then if you trash it with your OC you can restore it and start over faster. But either way is a good idea and will save some frustration.

Back