Broken pin 3700X

Good afternoon,

New here and new to Ryzen. I just bought a 3700X knowing it already had bent pins all pins are straitened now. I was told there were no broken pins when I bought it. I don't believe the person who sold it to me was too tech savvy because they refused undertake the repair themselves. I got all the pins almost all the way good and was doing finishing touches and then realized that a pin was completely missing. I have looked and can't find if its a critical pin or not. I don't want to stick it in my kids brand PC we just built 3 days ago and risk damaging it if something were to go wrong so it hasn't been tested yet. I just figured I would ask for a few pointers and see if anyone knows a pin out yet.

Attachments

• What pin is this.jpg
    What pin is this.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • RYZEN 3700x broken pin crop.jpg
    RYZEN 3700x broken pin crop.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My experience with this is very limited but it is a real crapshoot. It depends which pin is damaged and how. Most pins have a distinct purpose, and destroying that connection will kill that feature, which could completely kill the computer or reduce functionality or have no effect at all. Sorry not much technical help.

The red circle you created on the socket diagram is on the wrong pin. Look again. You need to slide it down and over. 2 pins down, 2 pins over.

And, no, I don't know what it does.

Depending on how adventurous you are, toss it in and run every cpu diagnostic you can run on it. Worst case? The cpu is toast and it'll burn out your mobo. In that case, you're already out the cpu (if it's gonna burn out a mobo, it'd do it regardless) and the only cost to finding out if it's a good cpu would be the mobo.

I don't know if there is anyone who replaces missing pins.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

sadly there's no public pinout for am4 so there's no real way to know without testing it. the likely hood of it damaging the board is pretty slim, it'll either boot or it won't or it'll boot with some feature missing that you'll have to hunt down. given it's location it could be related to memory but dunno.

Im not sure if this works still but i know in the old old old days you could put something in the socket to match the broken pin on a cpu but that was a very long time im not even sure what you use now days to do that trick likely not really safe to do it with modern day cpus.

Serious question, how do you bend/break pins? I've worked on PCs for almost 30 years never seen one in person...

I do not know what member originally posted this but maybe this will help. To be honest I am not sure if this AM4 or Am3

Legend is in the center for reference

1591143682965.png

If you deduce from the image correctly you can see it is probably a ground pin and there are multiple ground paths. Chances are you will just lose some ground pathing and the cpu will work just fine and spiffy.

Anything in black labeled VSS is a ground path. Or shall I say is a pathway to an earth ground | cpu>power supply --> house ground -> mother earth

I do not know what member originally posted this but maybe this will help. To be honest I am not sure if this AM4 or Am3

Legend is in the center for reference

View attachment 250038

I counted 1,331 pins, so it would be AM4 if correct.

If you deduce from the image correctly you can see it is probably a ground pin and there are multiple ground paths. Chances are you will just lose some ground pathing and the cpu will work just fine and spiffy.
Correct :D

Anything in black labeled VSS is a ground path. Or shall I say is a pathway to an earth ground | cpu>power supply --> house ground -> mother earth
Not quite. Earth ground isn't necessarily there, and really isn't (or rather shouldn't be) a functional part of the power system when it is. The path is back to CPU -> PSU -> neutral (or L2 if NA-240v) -> PoCo transformer (center tap if split-phase) -> PoCo 3ph delta/wye neutral attach point -> PoCo generator

Last edited:
If the diagram tangoseal posted is correct, that's a data line for the B memory channel. If so, then you'll have data corruption problems if you try to populate anything in the B channel (assuming it boots at all).

Agreed. I cannot see any key with that image. The missing pin goes in on the upper right corner, far right column, the first pin coming down from the top. It is labelled "AZ_BIT..." from what I can tell. (Arizona Bitch? ;) )

In the excel spreadsheet, it is cell AW3.

It's not a VSS.

Struck through. ryan_975, right below, corrected my error. As he pointed out, it is cell A37.

Great image, but not working in my browser.

Last edited:
Agreed. I cannot see any key with that image. The missing pin goes in on the upper right corner, far right column, the first pin coming down from the top. It is labelled "AZ_BIT..." from what I can tell. (Arizona Bitch? ;) )

It's not a VSS.

Great image, but not working in my browser.

It's bottom right. chip is mirrored to socket. Circled chip pin is A37.

scratch that you're right. I rotated the image the wrong way.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k
like this
It's bottom right. chip is mirrored to socket. Circled chip pin is A37.

Ahhh. The key image is 90^ off from the OPs pix. (Looking at K16, K17, K24, K25 and on the other side, AK16,17,24 and 25 correspond to the blank spots on the chip. Gotcha.

Now that I see the orientation, yes, A37. Thanks.

So just updating this thread. I can confirm PC boots into BIOS and also identifies both RAM sticks. I however can't confirm how well it will run. I don't have a CPU cooler yet. I just did a quick boot to see if it would boot without that pin. I'll update again once I get a CPU cooler and stress test the CPU. I had been waiting for a new motherboard to come in to test.

Serious question, how do you bend/break pins? I've worked on PCs for almost 30 years never seen one in person...

I bought the CPU for $50 figured it was worth a shot to save $270 if not i could sell it for parts for atleast 100 or more. After spending a few hours cleaning and bending the pins back I can say this CPU was dropped on a carpet probably removing the CPU cooler given the amount of thermal paste that was on the pins themselves.

Thermal paste on the pins?! How do you clean that if they easily bend or break free? Taco don't suppose you jet sprayed it with alcohol?

can use electronic cleaner and spray the crap out of it and it'll break down the thermal paste then just let it sit and dry out.

So just updating this thread. I can confirm PC boots into BIOS and also identifies both RAM sticks. I however can't confirm how well it will run. I don't have a CPU cooler yet. I just did a quick boot to see if it would boot without that pin. I'll update again once I get a CPU cooler and stress test the CPU. I had been waiting for a new motherboard to come in to test.

if it boots and all the memory shows up then it was probably just a ground pin and shouldn't be an issue, i just wouldn't try doing some insane overclock but other than that it should be fine if it's stable once you're able to actually test it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
can use electronic cleaner and spray the crap out of it and it'll break down the thermal paste then just let it sit and dry out.

if it boots and all the memory shows up then it was probably just a ground pin and shouldn't be an issue, i just wouldn't try doing some insane overclock but other than that it should be fine if it's stable once you're able to actually test it.
I honestly never overclock so that shouldn't be an issue at all. The only thing i saw when in BIOS was the voltages fluctuated a bit up and down, but didn't seem too radical. .002-.005. Also should be noted there wasn't a cooler attached so that could have caused it as well I guess.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Run a memtest and cinebench. If memtest comes out clean and your cinebench scores are good, you're likely fine!

Back