Broken Network Ethernet ?

zalophus

n00b
I have a NetGear CM 1100 Modem, an Asus RT-AC86U Router, Asus P8z77-V-LE M/B and Xfinity HSI @800Mbps, with my M/B adapter wired to my Router.

Recently my wired connection has been no faster than 300Mbps, while my wireless Ipad and Android phone have continued to connect at 6-700Mbps.

IO have done all the usual trouble shooting of my router and modem working with Xfinity. They confirm that they are delivering the contracted speed of 800mbps to my modem, and the wireless speeds of my Ipad and my Android phone seem to confirm this.

My question is whether my M//B network adapter is starting to fail, and is there a way to check this? I also wonder if a PCI or PCIe adpater card is good way to replace the M/B Adapter?

You should be able to get error counts from the network card, and maybe the other end of the cable (router, switch, etc)? If there are lots of errors, try a different cable.

Otherwise, yeah, putting in a new NIC is a reasonable thing to try. I'd look for something intel, maybe [link=[URL]https://www.ebay.com/itm/196379307346]this[/link[/URL]], if you don't want to look around; I think that's a x4 card though, so if you're using both your x16 slots, it probably won't work. Could probably get quad port for not much more.

Pendragon1-After right clicking Realtek NIC, which tab has the commands you refer to?

Pendragon1-After right clicking Realtek NIC, which tab has the commands you refer to?
on the advanced tab, look for speed&duplex in the properties list. select it then change the value to 1gb duplex.

WiFi 5 router, so 600-700 is pretty good unless both the router and the client device are using a 160Mhz channel width in the 5GHz band. So it sounds like the issue isn't the modem or Comcast. That leaves us with the port or ports on the router, your ethernet cabling, and the adapter on your mainboard.

That's a pretty old board & proc (Ivy Bridge), so it seems plausible that the ethernet port is going. I haven't had that problem personally, but I've seen it happen at work. On the up side, your board has a 1x slot above the vid card slot. Anything in there? That would do nicely for a 1Gb NIC. Of course I'd try different ports on the router an a new cable first. On a machine of that age getting decent performance out of a USB NIC may be a no-go. I haven't tried it.

You should be able to get error counts from the network card, and maybe the other end of the cable (router, switch, etc)? If there are lots of errors, try a different cable.

Otherwise, yeah, putting in a new NIC is a reasonable thing to try. I'd look for something intel, maybe [link=[URL]https://www.ebay.com/itm/196379307346]this[/link[/URL]], if you don't want to look around; I think that's a x4 card though, so if you're using both your x16 slots, it probably won't work. Could probably get quad port for not much more.
^^THIS^^
check in device manager properties that it is set to 1gb duplex, not on auto.
And ^^THIS^^....this is almost always on my list of "Top 10-20 things to do" when setting up a new rig the first time :)

Back