• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Broken Front USB 2.0 Ports

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
262
I was messing around under my desk, forgot I had something plugged into my front side USB port, and my back hit the plug. It snapped the inside of the USB and it's now unusable. My computer still boots, but it stalls for a while at the boot screen (I think that's called POST), and I am unable to get into the BIOS. At least it still boots to Windows so I can use it, eventually.

My case is the Apevia X-Cruiser. Is there any way I can fix this, any part I can buy to fix the USB side connection? I'm not really into case modding, but I think a friend of mine might be willing to try it.

My alternative would probably be to gut my computer and set it up into a new case. I don't want to do that. However, if I did, a question comes to mind: Can I use the USB 2.0 connection and connect it to a USB 3.0 port on a case? Would I at least be able to achieve USB 2.0 speeds this way? If I decide to ultimately change the case, I might as well get the case I want for my next build.
 
For now open it up and disconnect the header from the motherboard. You can probably replace the port on the front but I'd probably just discon it and use a hub coming from the back
 
I E-mailed Apevia and support told me they would not be restocking that part that would fix my problem.

For now open it up and disconnect the header from the motherboard. You can probably replace the port on the front but I'd probably just discon it and use a hub coming from the back

OK that might work. I'll see if I can get help doing that. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new case. If I do that, I have a few questions.

I'm looking at the Fractal Define XL Case (see link). I realize it has both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connections in front. Would my ASUS P5N-E motherboard work with this case? Obviously the front USB 3.0 ports would not be connected. Sorry, I don't quite have a good understanding of knowing how different motherboards fit in different cases.
 
One other question I have, and this possibly isn't the right forum to ask. My computer is OC'd by 10% from the automatic overclocking my Mobo offers. Will this automatically reset itself when I unplug it from the PSU or is there a way to reset it or do I even need to worry about this when transferring my computer's guts over to a new case?
 
It shouldn't automatically reset because the board settings are saved from power from the CMOS battery and not from the PSU.
 
Back
Top