broke pci16x slot

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a 8800-gt today brought it home and opened my case.
The top tab at the end of the pci16x slot is broken off.The bottom tab is still there but the top is broken.I don't know how to post pics so I am sorry about that.
The card still fits tight in the pci slot and when it is screwed in it doesn't move at all.I just want to make sure that when I install the card and power up to install the drivers that it will be ok and still work.

The only tihng i see is that the tab help hold it in place but it is still tight in there with the tab broken

Should be fine, Alot of older AGP never had any type of bracket to hold the card in place and Ive never had any problems with any of them damaging components. Its just a piece of plastic and wont affect your cards performance in any way.

sweet I just needed to know that so when I install it and power up that the card will work.
THanks alot man now I just gotta wait til next pay and buy my new psu
What size psu is suggested for a single 8800gt

What size do you have already? Anything 500W and upwards should be fine. Probably want to get 600W or 700W depending on the rest of your hardware though.

I only have a stock 300watt that came with the pc.
I wanted to buy the video card first since I knew it would be hard to save up the $150 again.
I was thinking of getting either the 450 or 550 watt corsair from the egg.
My system is plain jane so I doubt if it pulls much power.
All I have is 1 dvd burner drive,15in1 media card reader,1 heat sink and fan for the cpu,athlon 64x2 5000+ cpu,foxconn mobo.
I will be adding a blu ray drive after I purchase the psu and cod4.

the 450 watt should be more then enough for my system right

Yes the Corsair 450W is more than enough for many systems out there, your's included.

You can close it yourself... thread tools in the top right hand corner... perform action to close thread.

ive used a chain of zip ties from the card to the hard drive bays, to secure the card in the slot, thats if there is a hole in the bottom corner of the pcb.

Back